Author Topic: Weeding and planting - in January!  (Read 2847 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Weeding and planting - in January!
« on: January 24, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
I trimmed my hedge yesterday to fill the Brown Bin for collection today (don't want our Council to be disappointed with a poor return) and then spotted a polystyrene tray of a dozen or so primroses which had sat outside all winter  :o ::). Out came the trowel, and I planted them. Had to do a little weeding as I went along and to my amazement, the soil was quite workable! Unfortunately, I accidentally dug into a clump of my beloved Anemone blanda which were underground but looked like they were about to push trough the soil- in fact when I realised my mistake, I noticed a few small leaves of others nearby. I know Malcolm probably has his garden nicely weeded at this stage, so having braved the elements, I have decided to take a break each afternoon and keep up this good work.
When I first went out, it felt quite cold,but when I got up to working temperature  ::) it was actually quite pleasant.
Eric (Hardy) mentioned last year that he goes out during winter and digs a square yard each day. I was quite impressed by that, so perhaps I'll be able to prepare a veg patch.

Offline Jacquiht

Re: Weeding and planting - in January!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:42:49 PM »
Just read this posting George and thought you might like to know that I have been gardening all through the winter months here, with the lawns being mown every other week!  I spend at least one whole day a week in the garden keeping on top of the weeds etc.  I've spent the most part of today in my greenhouse continuing with the seed sowing and at one point the temperature was a balmy 30 degrees in there!!!!!  It's been such a beautiful day with the sun shining and blue skies.  Wonderful. 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »
Oh to be in Cornwall... 8)
Mowing lawns every two weeks in WINTER :o
You must have a very well drained garden Jacqui.
It gives you such a head start when spring comes around (or is it already spring there right now???).

It was too cold last week over here, but it was very pleasant out today - the first chance Ive had all week. My son helped me to cut up piles of branches which had been there for a few years. We don't light our fire. He does though  - great firewood for him - he filled 6 bags and went home with his jeep filled to capacity.

I have a bit of catching up to do on you Jacqui. Hopefully this weather will continue.

Offline Jacquiht

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:24:39 PM »
This is a link to my photos to show my Winter Garden as it was in December.  If I took photos this week it would include a lot of daffs and primroses.  Thought you might like to have a peep.
Hope the link works for you.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jacquih48/WinterGarden?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNOO0LrI666XBg&feat=directlink

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:11 AM »
It works, and I sure am impressed!
That is a beautiful setting Jacqui, and the house and garden look fabulous.

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:37:17 AM »
Beautiful indeed Jacqui.

Great photos and plenty of garden to keep you busy  ;)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »
...and now we have our first Tulips of the year, right in front of our kitchen window 8)
They started to show colour then bloom almost as soon as the flower stalks pushed up!
Garden is a bit wet again however, but I'll definitely be taking a piccy over the weekend.