Author Topic: Rescuing the miners in Chile  (Read 3537 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Rescuing the miners in Chile
« on: October 13, 2010, 09:06:22 PM »
I was overwhelmed with emotion watching the drama today.
What an amazing rescue!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/chile/8057102/Chile-miners-rescue-profiles-of-the-33-men.html

At time of posting 22 are rescued, another 11 to go.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:08:44 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

Re: Rescuing the miners in Chile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:58:43 PM »
We didn't actually see the rescue, but indeed what an amazing recovery process.

After such a long and traumatic time the miners and their families had to endure, they will all hopefully be reunited safely.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:46:35 AM »
Watched another three being rescued.
28 Richard Villarroel
then
29 Juan Carlos Aguilar
then
30 Raul Bustos.

30 up safely

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 12:58:29 AM »
The early part of the story

20.03 The 20th miner to be pulled out of the mine is Dario Segovia. Just 13 to go.

19.28 Pablo Rojas has appeared! He's the 19th miner to be brought safely to the surface. He's greeted by the usual cheering and clapping. He looks in good shape and waves to the crowd. Only 14 to go.

19.23 On appearing at the surface every miner is taken to hospital for a thorough medical check. Officials have just said that every miner so far has been in a good condition.

19.11 The capsule is back underground to fetch Pablo Rojas, the 19th miner. That Phoenix 2 never stops. Mr Golborne, Chile's mining chief, has said it is unlikely that Phoenix 1 or 3 will be used... unless 2 gets a few scrapes. So far it is holding up well!

19.10 Jaime Urzua whose brother, Luis Urzua, 54, will be the last of the 33 miners to be rescued, has told BBC Mundo: "He has been with his colleagues all the time and helped them. He will accompany them to the end and it makes us proud because it will be for the good of all the miners."

19.07 Quote of the day so far? Perhaps this from Mario Sepulveda, the second miner to be pulled from the mine: "I have been with God and I've been with the devil. They fought but God won."

19.00 Pablo Rojas , the cousin of Esteban, will become the 19th miner to be rescued. He had worked for the mine company for just six months before it collapsed.

18.55 The operation will have to quicken the pace if, as Laurence Golborne, says it will finish by the end of today. Remember, Chile is four hours behind British Summer Time so it could all be over by 4am on Thursday. Everything has been meticulous so far, though, and the rescuers may be reluctant to change their strategy.

18.52 The rescues are becoming routine now. Let's hope it stays that way. 18 down, 15 to go.

18.49 Here he comes. The glare of the sun greets Esteban Rojas. The 44-year-old, father of three, becomes the 18th miner to be rescued. He is greeted by his girlfriend who said yes to his marriage proposal while underground.

18.41 Is Laurence Golborne, mining minister, the most popular man in Chile? Approval ratings of 86 per cent suggest he is. President Pinera is not far behind though.

18.31 The capsule has returned to the mining chamber. Esteban Rojas, the 18th miner set to be rescued, will see daylight soon.

18.25 Katty Kay of BBC World News America tweets that the mine rescue is a boon for President Pinera.

18.17 Chile's mining minister Laurence Golborne says ever miner could be rescued by the end of the day. A monumental effort if true. Original estimates put the operation at lasting 48 hours.

18.13 Small hiatus while technicians do checks on Pheonix 2 to make sure it is still in good order. There was a small problem with the door but it has now been fixed. Esteban Rojas will be up once the capsule is moving again.

18.08 Nasa which advised the rescue have praised the successful operation so far. Charles Bolden, the space agency's chief, said: "I am proud of the people of this agency who were able to bring the experience of spaceflight down to Earth when it was needed most.

"On behalf of the entire NASA family, I want to ask that our heartfelt thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the courageous miners, their families and friends, and the dedicated people who have been working to safely reach those who are still trapped underground."

17.50 The 18th person will be Esteban Rojas, 44, and who is in charge of maintenance in the mine. He has promised to marry his girlfriend of 25 years when he gets out of the mine. The world awaits.

17.48 Let's recap. 17 miners are now above ground with 16 below. We are past half-way!

17.45 Argentine President Cristina Fernandez, writing on twitter says: "I've just spoken to Sebastián Piñera. Huge emotion. I said to him "You look like Mario Sepúlveda?, the second rescued miner..."

"I watched it live. Sepúlveda rousing everyone from the tunnel. After, unstoppable. What strength, what "polenta" (trans: energy, liveliness, force), smiling, happy, optimistic."

"Chi, Chi, Chi, le, le, le, Viva Chile! And he gave stones as gifts that he brought up in his rucksack. He didn't throw them; he gave them to people euphorically and gratefully."

17.39 Omar Reygadas emerges from the mine becoming the 17th to be rescued

17.30 While we wait for Omar Reygadas let's revisit that song idea. Animals' We Gotta Get Out of This Place works. Or maybe The Only Way is Up. Can you think of better? Comment below if you can!

17.29 Local media in Chile is reporting that the miners and rescue workers underground are having a lunch of mashed potato and fish, finished off with pineapple for dessert. Sounds yummy.

17.21 Next up is Omar Reygadas. He'll be the 17th miner to appear, meaning that more than half will have been rescued. Woohoo!

17.18 Barack Obama is now getting in on the act. The US President's press secretary, Robert Gibbs, says Mr Obama thinks the rescue of Chilean miners is a "truly inspirational story with a very happy ending."

He plans to telephone Chilean President Sebastian Pinera, Mr Gibbs says. David Cameron spoke to Mr Pinera earlier today.

17.15 The wheel has stopped turning. Let's hope it's because it has reached the bottom of the mine and not because it is stuck!

17.12 So, some information about our next miner to appear. Omar Reygadas was a bulldozer operator at the mine. While trapped underneath the ground the 56-year-old asked for steak and television. Good man.

17.09 Back to that song theme. How about Men at Work - Down Under? Or Here Comes the Sun. That has to be the most appropriate!

17.08 It's announcd that Omar Reygadas will be the seventeenth man to be rescued

17.05 Ok, let's try to liven this thing up even more. What songs are appropriate to greet the miners on the surface? M People's Moving On Up? Ray of Light by Madonna? Cigarettes and Alcohol by Oasis.

16.56 The Phoenix capsule is starting to look slightly dusty and battered but it is being checked regularly between descents

16.54 Right, now we wait for miner number 17 but who is it going to be?

16.52 He thanks the rescuers one by one, looking good in those shades. It's hugs all round.

16.50 Daniel Herrera appears! Welcome back. He's smiling but the tears are streaming down his mother's face. Now he waits for the customary hug from President Pinera.

16.47 Quick reminder - we are waiting for the 16th miner of 33. The rescue operation is almost half way to completion. It's all running smoothly so far

16.45 President Pinera says the operation will continue without rest until all miners are free. One miner an hour has appeared on average so far but there are reports that the speed of the rescue might increase with one man to be brought to the surface every 40 minutes.

16.42 Daniel Herrera, a lorry driver as well as a miner, is making his way to the surface. Shouldn't be long for his family now.

16.38 Fans of the Chilean miners and fans of the computer hero Mario rejoice! Check out this image.

16.21 Daniel Herrera will be the sixteenth man to be rescued

16.10 President Pinera greets Victor Segovia, telling him that he is about to start out on a "new life".

15:51 Victor Segovia will be getting into the rescue pod in the next few minutes: miner number 15.

15:46 In case you're just a little envious of how healthy these men look - and let's face it, who isn't? - a website's published a guide to what they ate.

15:44 How long for the first bit of rock brought up from the mine goes on eBay?

15:42 More famous tweeters have been commenting on the rescues, including Keith Chegwin, Calum Best and Gok Wan.

15:37 Alfredo Cooper, the Chilean president's Protestant chaplain, described today's events as "a miracle", definitively so as a drill bit had been deflected from its original route when it found the miners' refuge.

15:34 With 33-year-old mechanic Victor Zamora's emergence into the sunlight, 14 men have now been saved. What looks like his wife is wiping away tears as she waits to hug him. And there it is. A long, deeply emotional embrace. This is a man who left his home when it was struck by an earthquake, then got trapped in a mine. On the day of the collapse, he should have been at the surface.

15:27 In case you've forgotten, or never knew, the San Jose mine is about 25 miles outside Copiapo, a town about 40 miles inland from the Pacific coast of Chile. Copiapo's co-ordinates are 27.20 south by 70.23 west, which puts it roughly on an east-west level with Johannesburg and Brisbane.

15:19 Once the last miner comes up, bells will be rung along the length of the country; from Arica in the north to Punta Arenas in the south, around 2,700 miles.

15:16 The Phoenix has landed. Back in the underground refuge at least. Victor Zamora is next in line.

15:13 Sebastian Pinera, the Chilean president, says the country has come through a night in which "life defeated death, when hope defeated anguish. A night which made us feel more human, more alive."

15:09 Evo Morales, the Bolivian president, is still around. He's just promised a new job - presumably in Bolivia - to Carlos Mamani, his citizen and the only foreigner to be trapped down the mine.

15:06 The Phoenix Two rescue capsule is based on something called the "Dahlbusch Bomb", a device which had its finest hour in "The Miracle of Lengede" in 1963, where 11 West German miners were pulled alive from a mine collapse.

14:57 Barrios was only a part-time miner who also drives a taxi. He's a horse racing fan who complained to his family about interference from psychologists.

14:54 Carlos Barrios, 27, becomes the 13th saved man.

14:44 The rescued men are supposed to spend two days in hospital now before they?re released. I hope the wards have stocked up on beer.

14:41 Carlos Barrios is loaded into the bullet-shaped capsule, and is shot to the surface in slow motion.

14:39 A shift change at the mine brings about 30 policemen marching through the camp, singing as they go. Apparently this is normal.

14:14 And that makes a dozen. The 34-year-old shakes hands, hugs and high fives his rescuers.

14:11 Edison Pena, who ran three miles underground every day to keep him sane, is on his way to the surface.

13:54 One of the reasons the tunnel to the miners was so tough to dig was that it was drilled through granite - one of the hardest rocks on earth - studded with quartz - one of the most abrasive.

13:47 Aunt of Jimmy Sanchez, the youngest of the group who was pulled out earlier, says he's "completely fine" and will now go back to college to continue studying.

13:33 Jorge Galleguillos, 56, becomes 11th miner saved. And he's grown a beard while underground. That's a third of the men rescued. And the first beard.

13:32 Bolivian president Evo Morales, himself a former miner, arrives at the scene.

13:09 Chile is building towards a huge party - bottles have already been uncorked at Camp Hope and every schoolchild has been given the day off.

12:59 The Phoenix Two rescue capsule reenters the rock, dangling from its cable which was brought from Germany specifically for the purpose.

12:56 With his safety helmet tipped at a jaunty angle, Vega gives two thumbs up before embracing his wife for a long time, then shows his tee-shirt which is emblazoned with ?Gracias Senor? or ?Thank you God?.

12:52 Alex Vega surfaces - chewing gum - and becomes the 10th miner saved.

12:50 ?Chilean Max Clifford? attempting to get all the miners to sell story in one go to maximise cash, BBC claims.

12:47 Mining minister Laurence Golborne tweets that the rescues are coming faster. They've gone from around an hour each to between 45 and 50 minutes.

12:36 Never before have trapped miners survived for so long.

12:34 Next person out will be Alex Vega, 31.

12:30 Some clever person redesigns an image from a classic computer mining game to include the Phoenix Two rescue capsule.

12:20 Lucy Herrera, the mother of Daniel Herrera, who is expected to be the 16th miner to be saved, tells the BBC World Service she hopes she won't break down in tears in front of him. "I am actually really calm. I thought I would be more nervous, but I have surprised myself. I'm just waiting my turn."

12:15 Estimates have put the cost of the rescue at £12.6m.

12:13 And Gomez is far from the only one praying: the Pope has offered prayers for the safe recovery of all the Chilean miners.

12:04 Gomez hugs wife and drops to his knees to offer thanks for his survival. Bizarrely, the miner, who lost three fingers on one hand, previously survived 11 days trapped in a shipping container after stowing away on a ship, and stayed alive by drinking water from a shoe and nibbling a piece of chocolate.

11.59 Applause from the rescuers and a thumbs up to Mrs Ramirez, as the capsule reemerges. Mario Gomez is the ninth miner rescued.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 12:59:21 AM »
The story so far
Yes, I counted 7 people down there, so there are at least 4 rescue workers down there.
Brave men to volunteer for that job!
They will be last out.

No 31
00.50 Pedro Cortez, one of the youngest men in the mine at 24-years-old, is the next on the list. The capsule is already back at the mine floor to collect him. Looks like there are about six rescue workers down there too.

00.40 Here is Mr Bustos, returned to his family, as his wife predicted, for "another happy ending". After tendely kissing his wife, the mining minister gets a bear hug. Mr Bustos greets Mr Pinera and the rescue workers and gets a round of applause from the crowd. A thumbs up, and he is whisked away to the triage centre.

00.35 As the operation nears its final phase, Camp Hope is slowly being dismantled. Plans are also being made for a huge fiesta across Chile when all of the men, including the rescue team, are safely back on the surface.

00.30 Mr Bustos has had some extremely bad luck this year. He was caught in the devastating Chile earthquake in February and was left without a job after the subsequent tsunami destroyed the ships that he worked on. He sought employment at the San Jose mine, where he was working overtime when the accident took place. He is certainly a survivor, but his wife calls him "the luckiest unlucky man on earth".

00.25 The next man out will be Raul Bustos, a 40-year-old hydraulics engineers. He will be the 30th miner to be freed. Night has fallen in Camp Hope. By dawn operation San Lorenzo should be over.

00.20 Pictures from the mine floor show just a handful of men left. Everyone appears very calm and in control as they wait for the capsule, with miners taking a few last photographs of their underground prison.

00.12 In almost record time, Mr Aguilar is at the surface! Mr Pinera is there to greet him - he has pledged to stay until all of the miners and rescuers are out. Mr Aguilar's wife gives him a big, long hug. He gets a hug from the president as well and does the rounds with the rescue workers, shaking hands and patting backs. Then he's on the stretcher and off for medical checks. Only four more miners to go!

00.05 Sebastian Pinera will be particularly pleased with the flawless progress of the rescue operation. The president has been congratulated by world leaders including Barack Obama, the Pope and David Cameron. Mr Obama said that the remarkable events in Chile had "inspired the world".

00.00 The next miner to emerge will be Juan Carlos Aguilar, a 49-year-old father of one who worked as a supervisor in the mine. Mr Aguilar's wife earlier said that he is in good spirits. He will be the 29th miner to step into the Phoenix 2 capsule. It is currently taking 8 minutes to get down, 10 minutes to get up.

23.56 A quick reminder: the rescue operation is going so smoothly that it could be finished by 4am Chile time (7am in Britain), just over 24 hours after the first miner was freed. It had initially been expected to take up to 48 hours.

23.47 And here he is. His little sister in tears, but smiling, at his safe return. In fact the whole family is crying. Another moving moment from the top of the rescue shaft. His emergence from the capsule is being filmed by a family member. He seems thrilled to be out. Shouts of "Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le!" rise up as he hugs his sobbing wife. A very emotional reuinion.

23.38 Great day for Richard Villarroel and his family. The miner is being released at a good time as he is due to become a father soon.

23.34 Richard Villarroel boards rescue capsule. What will happen to Phoenix 2 when this is all over? Pride of place in Chile's national museum I would think.

23.25 Richard Villarroel is up next. He'll be the 28th to be rescued. The 27-year-old mechanic had worked in the mine for two years and lives with his mother and sister.

23.23 Lobos has been handed a football and he's showing us his skills before getting on a footballer's old friend, the stretcher, and being taken off for treatment

23.18 And Franklin Lobos arrives! Massive round of applause for the former popular footballer with a local team. He steps from the capsule and removes his harness as the 26 miners have done before him. The tears begin to run down the face of his daughter. The crowd bursts into chants of Ole Ole Ole!!

23.16 Just waiting for seven more miners to be rescued. Come on Laurence Golborne - you can do it! The mining minister hasn't had any sleep since the start of the rescue. He said he wants to be there to greet them all.

23.12 Lobos's daughter is looking cheery as she prepares to see her father for the first time in more than two months

23.00 While underground Lobos received a T-shirt signed by Barcelona and Spain player David Villa. Will he be wearing it?

22.58 Franklin Lobos, 53, is a well known former football player known as the "magic mortar". Expect sustained applause and chanting when he appears. it should be in about 15 minutes.

22.56 Franklin Lobos will be the 27th miner to be brought to the surface.

22.55 Phoenix 2 has disappeared down the mine again. No hanging around.

22.54 Seven to go!

22.51 That's him. Claudio Acuna reaches the surface after 9 mins and 44 secs. He's the 26th miner to be rescued. There's the customary hug from a smiling President Pinera.

22.48 There's the siren. Claudio Acuna is close to emerging. He has been in the capsule for 7 mins and 40 secs... His mother and girlfriend are looking relaxed. His two-year-old daughter is pointing at the shaft saying "daddy is going to come out of there".

22.43 The capsule has disappeared up the mineshaft. If it is quicker than the fastest ascent so far then Claudio Acuna should appear in around 9 minutes. Start your watches.

22.41 Claudio Acuna will be the 26th to be rescued. The 56-year-old had his birthday in the mine on September 9. His girlfriend sent him a football shirt.

22.40 Renan Avalos's ascent was the fastest so far at 9 minutes 13 seconds. He described the journey as "really beautiful".

22.30 Miner 26 coming up next. The capsule has headed down to pick him up. Details of who it will be coming soon.

22.30 Laurence Golborne must surely be favourite to play himself in the inevitable film. The mining minister has hollywood good looks and perfect white teeth to match.

22.27 Ok, so there are 8 miners left underground. In Chile it is 6.30pm. They have 5 and a half hours to meet the mining minister's deadline of midnight. It's looking likely, but remember that there are also two rescuers down there who need to be brought up as well.

22.24 Renan Avalos appears. He joined the mine four months ago after his brother got him a job. What a day for Mr and Mrs Avalos. They have both of their sons back.

22.22 Renan Avalos is the brother of Florencio Avalos, the first miner to be rescued this morning. It's a family affair at Camp Hope for the Avalos family with both mother and father present.

22.20 Laurence Golborne, Chile's mining minister and new national hero, has reportedly not slept since before the rescue operation began. Take a bow sir. That is some effort. President Pinera squeezed in a few hours earlier and both are looking surprisingly fresh.

22.17 Phoenix 2 has a small bump in its door. It's a "miner" problem. Oh dear. Apologies.

22.15 Jorge Garreton, a Chilean journalist, tweeting that Renan Avalos is the next to be rescued.

22.11 Mario Gomez thought to have pneumonia. He is the oldest of the miners and was known to be weak. His condition is not serious, however.

22.04 Some of the miners have been bringing rocks from the mine. They'd look good on the mantelpiece, I'm sure, but would also make a few bob on eBay too.

22.02 Just 9 miners to go!

22.00 And there here is. Jose Henriquez, 54, and an evangelical preacher is back above ground. The ascent took just 8 minutes. He has worked in mines for more than 30 years. Huge smiles from his wife.

21.58 Jose Henriquez can't be far from the surface now.

21.55 Some more info on Carlos Buguena: he found himself trapped alongside a childhood friend, Pedro Cortez. A passionate soccer fan, he asked to have game broadcasts piped below. Relatives said the former security guard went to work at the mine to earn money for a car and house.

21.53 Health update: Upon arrival, all of the miners underwent a thoracic and lungs exam. "They are all in perfect conditions except miner Mario Sepulveda, who has silicosis and Mario Gomez, who we found a bit weak" said one of the doctors.

21.47 Next up... wait for it... will be Jose Henriquez. He'll be the 24th to be rescued. He's a 54-year-old preacher who has worked in mining for 33 years. He became the miners' pastor and organised daily prayers.

21.38 Officials at the hospital in Copiapo say that all the miners will need "extreme dental work". Other than that they are all reported to be healthy.

21.36 Just like every rescued miner before him Carlos Bugueno is immediately put on a stretcher and taken to hospital for medical checks.

21.33 And there he is. Carlos Bugueno is greeted by his mother. The 27-year-old becomes the 23rd miner to be rescued. There are only ten to go and at this rate the team are likely to free everyone just 24 hours after starting. That would be a massive achievement. Intitially it was expected to take two days.

21.30 Carlos Bugueno, the 23rd miner, is close to the surface

21.27 This really is quickening up. Miners now being winched to the surface in around ten minutes rather than 15 earlier.

21.10 The operation is now past the two-thirds stage. 22 rescued with 11 to go.

21.03 There he is. Samuel Avalos, no relation to the first miner rescued this morning, is above ground. Usual stuff - round of applause, hug from family member, and handshake from President Pinera. There are now just 11 in the mine.

21.00 The rescue operation has quickened considerably. Phoenix 2 is bringing men to the surface at a rate of one every 15 minutes now. At the start it was one an hour. Rescuers have discovered that they can drop the capsule to the bottom of the mine quicker than they were at the beginning.

20.54 Ok, moving on from Yonni's love life, the capsule has returned to the mine to pick up miner number 22. Samuel Avalos, 43, has worked at the mine for five months and has a long-time girlfriend, Ruth, and three children aged 18, 9 and two.

20.50 Our correspondent Fiona Govan at the San Jose mine has confirmed that the woman in the green dress who met Yonni Barrios WAS the mistress! The wife has yet to appear on tv but the rumour is she is somewhere in Camp Hope. Sparks could still fly!

20.38 We're trying to find out just who that woman was as Yonni Barrios prepares to answer difficult questions over his domestic life. But for now it's just been announced that Samuel Avalos, 43, and a father-of-three, will be the 22nd miner to be rescued. Just 12 to go. Onwards!

20.31 Yonni Barrios is above ground! He's being hugged by a lady but doubts over who she is. It's chaos. Is she the wife? Mistress? Or sister?

20.28 Marta Salinas, the wife of Yonni Barrios, is at the mine waiting for him according to Chilean TV. Barrios's "esposa" said she would only turn up if his mistress didn't. No sign of her at the moment.

20.21 Yonni Barrios who was known as the "doctor" while he was trapped enters Phoenix 2 and the wheel starts turning... Mr Barrios' wife of 25 years is not expected to be there. A few weeks ago she discovered of his affair when stumbled upon another woman calling out his name at the San Jose mine!

20.20 Check out this brilliant front page from a Chilean newspaper. Super Mario indeed. And the coverage runs from pages 2 - 24. If only I could read Spanish!

20.10 Yonni Barrios will be the 21st miner to be rescued. It's the one everyone has been waiting for. While the 50-year-old was trapped underground his wife discovered he had a mistress. Will they both meet him? What will their reactions be? Stay tuned to find out!

20.07 Dario Segovia, 48, was met by his emotional sister Maria, who was a real presence throughout at Camp Esperanza. The drill operator is the son of a former miner who was once trapped underground for one week.

20.03 The 20th miner to be pulled out of the mine is Dario Segovia. Just 13 to go.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 01:24:52 AM »
01.20 Fiona Govan reports that many of those relatives who haven't joined the miners at their bedside in hospital in Copiapo have decided to stay in camp until the final miner is reaised from the deep.

The son of Pablo Rojas, the 19th man to come out, said the entire experience had been amazing. "I will keep the hard hat he came up in as a souvenir to remind us daily of what we have been through. I feel so proud of him, of all of them, he has survived 70 days down there. This day is a proud day for all of Chile," said Micheal Rojas.

01.17 Ariel Ticona is swiftly climbing into the capsule and should be back on the surface in ten minutes. He leaves just one miner left in the collapsed mine. It is 9.17pm in Chile, the rescue could be over within the next hour.

01.15 Fiona Govan, reporting from the San Jose mine for the Telegraph, says that the atmosphere at the camp is reaching fever pitch as the end of the rescue effort approaches.

01.10 The next man out will be Ariel Ticona. He was underground when his daughter, Esperanza, was born. Mr Ticona and his wife had planned to call the girl Christina, but, after the accident, her name was changed to the Chilean word for "Hope". He will meet the infant for the first time tonight.

01.05 Pedro Cortez is out. He gives a little smile to the men helping him out of the capsule. The little girl, believed to be his daughter, looks utterly overwhelmed - he picks her up and gives her a tight hug. He might be the 31st miner out, but the emotions are still incredibly intense.

The rate of the rescue is truly remarkable. The capsule pops up, delivers its cargo, and heads back down again almost instantly.

01.00 Mining minster Laurence Golborne has been tweeting again - saying that the operation will be finished before midnight Chile time (2am in Britain).

00.54 In a note to his family while he was trapped Mr Cortez said "Down here we have lived through the worst. So stay calm. Our suffering won't last much longer." A little girl with a big bunch of balloons is at the top of the mine to meet him.

00.50 Pedro Cortez, one of the youngest men in the mine at 24-years-old, is the next on the list. The capsule is already back at the mine floor to collect him. Looks like there are about six rescue workers down there too.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 01:37:49 AM »
01.33 And then there was one: Luiz Urzua.

01.30 Ariel Ticona is safely back on ground level. After taking off the harness he embraces his wife, both are beaming. No sign of Esperanza, but father and daughter will probably be introduced at the hospital. Mr Ticona seems very relaxed, he has brought a phone up with him from the mine - the phone that the miners used to speak to the people on the surface for the first time after the accident.

01.28 The square at Copiaco, 25 miles away, is crowded with people waving Chilean flags and chanting "Viva Chile!" as the end of the rescue nears.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 02:03:30 AM »
01.59 As the fiesta begins, Mr Urzua thanks Mr Pinera for not giving up on the miners. Mr Pinera says he has been "a good captain" and the country is deply proud of him and all of the miners. He asks "Don Luis" to sing the national anthem with him, their hard hats over their hearts. The rescue team sing together - a poignant moment.

01.53 He's out! Mr Urzua, the last of Los 33, has been brought up into the fresh night air. Jubilant celebrations erupt across Camp Hope and the country as the Phoenix 2 capsule emerges to screams, cheers and euphoria from the waiting crowd. One thousand balloons are released into the night sky as Chile's national anthem plays. Flags are waving furiously, not a dry eye at the San Jose mine.

01.44 Mr Urzua is in the capsule. The 33rd miner is on his way back to the surface. An amazing moment for the rescue team, and everyone who has folllowed the day's events.

Above ground, Fiona Govan reports that those inside the camp are gathering in front a huge screen outside the canteen tent broadcasting a live feed from the minehead where they will watch the last man, Mr Urzua, emerge from the deep. Tired but happy faces gaze up at screen.

Some clutch bottles of champagne ready to pop when the last man is raised signalling end of successful rescue operation, which has taken less than 24 hours to complete. "This is the moment we have been waiting for," said the sister of Darius Segovia. The camp is ringing out with round after round of "Viva Chile!"

01.36 The Phoenix 2 capsule drops out of sight to collect the last miner. The shift foreman, Mr Urzua took a leading role while the group was trapped. He made maps of the mine, rationed the food and wanted to be the last man out so that he could make sure that everyone else was safe before he left the mine.

01.33 And then there was one: Luiz Urzua.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 02:11:37 AM »
02.08 Mr Urzua is hugging the rescue team. He thanks each man, reserving special praise for the psychologist. "A shift of 70 days, that's long shift" he says. He tells Mr Pinera that the hardest moment was when the men saw the rocks that had fallen into the mine, trapping them.

Fiona Govan reports that Pedro Cortez's brother is spraying champagne over the crowd saying: "Thank God, they are all safe, it's a miracle!"

The miners are out - 22 hours and 41 minutes since the operation began - but the rescue is not quite over, six rescue workers remain underground. They will be brought up over the next hour.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 09:07:28 AM »
"Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le!"
They are all out, including the six resuers.
What a dramatic and emotional night. Mercifully it ended in joy.
Well done Chi-le!!

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:33:17 AM »
Great chronological record of events you gave us there George.

It's great to hear GOOD TV news reports for a change, of which this one thankfully had a happy ending.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »
Indeed Laurie!
All courtesy of The Telegraph, of course.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk
The reporters had updated the recording of the events every few minutes, with much more information than could be seen on the live video stream.
There was a lull between each rescue, so all I did was copy and paste as they waited.

I have to say I was amazed by the technology. Being able to see the trapped miners getting into the Phoenix and see them stepping out at the top - all happening live of course, was mind blowing.
Watching the closest relatives anxiously taking their turn to stand at the top of the tube as their nearest and dearest were hauled up from the depths was very dramatic and moving. The whole world was sharing their emotions! Watching Richard Villaroel's little sister was heart breaking. She sure needed that big hug when her big bro got to the surface!
Watching the reunions was simply a joy to behold.
I was so enthralled, I decided to stay up until all 33 were released.
The celebrations started early, considering there were six brave rescuers at the bottom!
It was a happy ending indeed.
I could have given the topic a different title - Get me out of here, I'm a celebrity.
They are now, and boy do they deserve any fortunes that come there way :)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:40:41 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 08:43:21 PM »
and Belfast did its "bit" in the resue operaton:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/chile-mine-rescue-how-belfast-did-its-bit-14977190.html
Chile mine rescue: How Belfast did its bit

Rescue drill cutter made by local firm, but recognition comes too late as plant closes
By Clare Weir
Friday, 15 October 2010
Drill bits made in Northern Ireland have been used in the rescue mission to free the 33 trapped Chilean miners.

But the accolades have come too late for workers at the Hughes Christensen factory in Belfast, who crafted the two vital 28? drill bits, some of the last items to roll off the production line at the Castlereagh plant which closed down in recent weeks.

The drill bits were a vital part of the rescue plan, which saw the miners being winched from their rocky prison after a cave-in 69 days previously.

The hi-tech hardware was used in a series of moves to free the trapped men and helped cut shafts to provide air and supplies.

In a statement earlier this year, the firm's parent company, Baker Hughes, said its operations would be transferred to its base in Texas with the loss of up to 210 jobs.

The factory had been in operation for 55 years making the cutting-edge drill bits.

The company had to make 135 people redundant in 2009, blaming a decline in the world market and leading to, ultimately well-founded, fears for its survival.

Production has wound down at the company over the last few weeks, at the same time as one of its last products was assisting in a rescue being watched by millions worldwide.

Like so many other Northern Ireland-made products, like De Lorean cars, Short?s aircraft and, of course, the Titanic, much of its fame has come after its passing.

Gary Flaharty, vice-president of investor relations at parent company Baker Hughes, said it was ?with regret? that the factory was shut.

?We did ship two drill bits from Belfast to assist with the rescue in Chile,? he said.

Flaharty praised the skills of the Belfast workers who made the tool.

?It was with regret that we are leaving Belfast. The workers have been absolutely fantastic,? he added.

Castlereagh UUP councillor Michael Copeland called the situation ?desperately sad?.

?We in this city and this country used to be pioneers,? he said.

?There is a continued leeching of talent and skill and heritage out of Northern Ireland and I find it desperately sad.?

Iconic creations that emerged from Belfast

Northern Ireland has produced some world famous, instantly recognisable and iconic brands over the years .

Here are just a few.

Since 1936, Shorts in east Belfast manufactured aircraft but now makes mostly parts and components as Bombardier Shorts Inc. The factory was sold to Bombardier in 1989 for £30m.

In its heyday, the Short Sunderland seaplane built in Belfast became famous as an anti-submarine patrol bomber during the Second World War when its long range and flying time helped end the Battle of Britain by closing the Mid-Atlantic air gap between Iceland and Greenland.

The DeLorean DMC-12 car was manufactured in Northern Ireland by the DeLorean Motor Company in 1981-1982. It became famous for its appearance in the Back to the Future films. By then the Dunmurry factory where it was made had shut.

Perhaps Northern Ireland?s best known export was RMS Titanic, which rolled out of the dry dock at Harland and Wolff in 1912. Infamously, she sank on her maiden voyage.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/chile-mine-rescue-how-belfast-did-its-bit-14977190.html#ixzz12SToFL2j