Author Topic: Yet more slideshows up on our website, this time of the garden.  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden

Again any suggestions or criticism please let me know, and Laurie if you can fill in any of the names of the insects in one of the slideshows, that would be appreciated.

So there is one show of Lyns garden ::), then of course one with my garden. ;D And you may remember the shots last year of Lyns garden changing each month, well they are in another show with dissolving pictures. Lastly, but may not be for long, one of the Butterflies ect in the garden.

One question, are each of the pictures of the garden on the screen long enough.

Here is the link

http://www.lynandmalc.co.uk/in%20the%20garden/index.html

Malcolm

NightHawk

Re: Yet more slideshows up on our website, this time of the garden.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 09:46:17 PM »
Again any suggestions or criticism please let me know, and Laurie if you can fill in any of the names of the insects in one of the slideshows, that would be appreciated.
Malcolm
I'll have a good look at your site over the next few days Malcolm, and your unnamed insects.

Just doing final preparations to our house.  'For Sale' board goes up next week.  :o

Laurie.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:54:12 PM »

Its been a lot of work for you both, hope all goes well with the sale and quickly. ;D

Malcolm

Offline Four Seasons

• www.fourseasonsgarden.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 10:13:59 PM »
Malcolm and Lyn,
The slide show was brilliant in all four sections and they all played well on the applemac. You have documented so many amazing plant and flower displays when your garden was stunning. The macro shots were superb but at 'Four Seasons' we are not too keen on the Lily beetle .....or the Harlequin lady birds for that matter.  For the last few months our house has been continuously invaded by the Harlequins!

Great viewing

Thanks

Tony and Marie

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 10:32:22 PM »
Thank you for trying the slide shows Tony and Marie.

The garden is like a magnet attracting the Lily Beetle, it was at least 70 of them we found and dispached last year, so far the total this year is 4.
Thankfully they are Red and are fairly easily spotted, just imagine if they were green. ::)

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »
Malcolm

Here's the IDs for your insects.

• DSCN 3725 - "Rose Chafer" (Cetonia aurata) - beetle. Found mainly in Scotland. (A bit out of its comfort zone).
  • DSC_3090a - Propylea quatuordecimpunctata (European ladybird).
  • DSC 3210a - Bombus Hypnorum - bumble bee.
  • DSC 3328a - The black ladybird with orange spots is the "Pine Ladybird" (Exochomus 4-pustulatus.)
    The orange one, where only 2 spots are visible in that shot, and if that's all it has, is the "2-Spot Ladybird" (Adalia 2-punctata), although I don't know what these two are up to (a bit of cross-breeding maybe  :o).
  • DSC 4133a - Flesh-Fly (Sarcophaga carnaria).
  • DSC 4253b - "Tawny Mining Bee" (Andrena fulva).  Female has the rich red coat, whilst the male is more sombre and is rarely noticed.
  • DSC 5321a - Bombus Pascuorum - bumble bee.
  • Spider is the "Walnut Orb Spider" (female).

The photos are great Malcolm and the navigation seems just about right to me.  8)

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »
brilliant great pics loved the winter to summer, when your in the garden each day you dont really notice growth changes but when you see them in pictures at different months its amazing how quick plants actually recover from the winter, and where did that lizard come from
Phil

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »
Enjoyed the slide show, both the gardens are amazing, quite a plant collection, a lot of hard work.
Paul.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 06:01:49 PM »

Laurie

Many many thanks for taking the time to find out those names for me.
Some I have never heard of before, and there are some interesting ones like the Rose Chafer which you say are normally found in Scotland  :)
The Pine ladybird well we have a belt of Pine trees about 70 metres away from us, on the edge of the common.

I have kept to the common names, except the two different Bumble Bees, and I have uploaded the names so they should be on the slideshow now.

Seriously, if I could award you a "gold star" I would. Please accept my thanks instead Laurie.

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 06:07:20 PM »

Phil

The Lizard in the picture.
We are only 70 metres from a sandy common, and every summer we see a few of these lizards basking in the sun on the brick edge of the lawn.
They frequently run for cover in amongst the plants when disturbed.
Our soil is quite light and sandy, so I guess they feel at home, untill we come along with the hose watering the garden. ;D

Malcolm

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 06:25:41 PM »

Paul

The plant collection has taken place over about 12 years, but has had to be curtailed somewhat, as we have run out of room now.

The plants we have are shoulder to shoulder, so we have to be carefull not to shade out the smaller ones. One advantage is we don't have to weed the beds, and the plants so close together means we have to keep them in their allotted space, so lots of divisions to fill our plant stall on open days.

The garden is a lot of hard work, I think we have made it harder too. And Lyn looks after another five gardens in the village, and I am self employed with my own business (nothing to do with gardening). It does mean that I don't work an 8 hour day, often rush home to get in the garden. ;D

Apparently we have several Bressingham plants in the garden, I no not which ones as Lyn has just dissapeared to a garden talk at the local horticultural club. >:(

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:01:46 PM »

Phil

The Lizard in the picture.
We are only 70 metres from a sandy common, and every summer we see a few of these lizards basking in the sun on the brick edge of the lawn.
They frequently run for cover in amongst the plants when disturbed.
Our soil is quite light and sandy, so I guess they feel at home, untill we come along with the hose watering the garden. ;D

Malcolm

well you do have an exotic garden so why not have a lizard aswell  ;D have any of your garden visitors ever run away from seeing one  :D

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »

[/quote]well you do have an exotic garden so why not have a lizard aswell  ;D have any of your garden visitors ever run away from seeing one  :D
[/quote]

Not that I know of Phil, I think it would be the lizards running away from the visitors. ;D

Malcolm
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:32:12 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »
Slideshows work perfectly Malcolm, but I'm far more impressed by the material content!

How you manage to squeeze so many plants into your gardens AND (and its a very BIG and) how you manage to get them all to perform so perfectly in harmony with their many and various neighbours is an absolutely magnificent feat.
Hats off to you both, and long may you continue to amaze and inspire us with your incredible range of skills (meaning of course, the photos also have that master touch of perfection)

Laurie:
I read your ID of the "creatures" and I have to say I am well impressed.
We are very fortunate to have your expertise and knowledge on the forum!

NightHawk

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »
Thank you Malcolm and George for your appreciative comments.

I seem to be able to identify insects better than I can flowers for some reason.  Insect species seem to register more in my little head.

Maybe I need to get my botany head in gear more.  :D  (I'm guided by Kathy for plant IDs  ;) )

It's good when I can identify the insects though, as they play an important part in our gardening.  And it's nice to know what they are and what benefits they have (or have not) in our gardens; i.e. pest or friend - and for the former, how to deal with them accordingly.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:30:00 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 11:33:38 AM »
Ahaaa! Teamwork - perhaps thats one of the secrets of success :D ;)

NightHawk

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 11:43:30 AM »
Two heads are better than one, blaa, blaa, blaa...etc., etc., etc.,  ;)

You're right there George.

Laurie.