Author Topic: Sissinghurst, Kent  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Sissinghurst, Kent
« on: March 13, 2009, 07:32:44 AM »
If you haven't visited the magnificent National Trust gardens at Sissinghurst designed by the writer Vita Sackville-West and her husband Harold Nicolson then you must really put them on your "to do" list.

Here are some pictures to give you a flavour: -

If you haven't visted it is well worth the effort.

Eric H

NightHawk

Re: Sissinghurst, Kent
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 07:48:21 AM »
Those gardens do indeed look worthy of a visit Eric.  Thanks for telling us about them.  8)

Lovely photos too, especially the last two flower shots.  Do you know what they are?

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:02:03 AM »
Thanks Laurie.

I don't know what the spiky one is, I'm afraid, but the blue Meconopsis I only know as a Himalayan Blue Poppy.

Eric H

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »
Wow!
I really do appreciate this. Brilliant!
Photos are splendid. 

Yes thats the sort of garden I'd love to spend a day (or two) in!
Tell us more about your visit, please, and about the architecture there, Eric. Was it to your liking?

Did a quick surf and found this:
http://www.invectis.co.uk/sissing/

Have you more photos of that garden?
If you are OK with sharing your photos, I'd like to do a presentation of the gardens using the WPG in Ideas Genie Pro, Eric. (WPG = Web Page Generator)
When I find time, I add another "A walk through..." project for gardens Ive visited. Heres an example:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/botanic-gardens/belfast-botanic-gardens/

How many more of these delightful gardens have you up your album sleeve, Eric ? :)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 10:04:43 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 01:54:17 PM »
Yes you need quite a long time at Sissinghurst to take it all in. Anthea and I enjoy plants but what gives us even more enjoyment is the design and layout of a particular garden. Sissinghurst is quite exceptional.

I like sharing photographs, it gives more point to taking them in the first place. Thank you for those links. I enjoyed my visit to Belfast Botanic Gardens, that is a nice way of presenting your pictures.

You ask about the architecture. This is gorgeous mellow brick Elizabethan. I will attach some more photos here which gives a better idea of the buildings and add another flower or two: -

I will see what other gardens I have hidden away

Eric H

Tom

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »
These are very nice pics indeed, I look forward to seeing more. The poppy is M. betonicifolia  and the other plant which you have captured very well is Paris polyphylla  a beautiful chinese woodland perennial. I have been trying to establish this plant in my garden but it has been eaten by mice for the past 5 years, seeing it look so good has encouraged me to keep trying.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 02:16:57 PM »
Very good pictures indeed, Eric. I hadn't yet the opportunity to visit this horticultural shrine, but your photos give a very nice impression of the texture of masonry and interior woodwork.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 02:52:34 PM »
The poppy is M. betonicifolia  and the other plant which you have captured very well is Paris polyphylla  a beautiful chinese woodland perennial.

Thank you Tom for that. We are not very good at Latin names but we do enjoy the plants and the garden layouts.

Eric H

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
I hadn't yet the opportunity to visit this horticultural shrine.

Thanks for your kind comments Andre. Kent is not too far away if you hop on a boat to Dover  :)

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 03:58:58 PM »
Some really lovely photos again Eric.  ;D

They certainly are an inspiration to visit those gardens at some point.  Unfortunately they're a bit too far away from us to easily get there and back.  :(

Maybe one day though.  :-\

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »
Thanks, Laurie. I realised when I was posting them that they are a bit far away for you. Spend a week in Kent, there is a lot to see there!

Eric H