Author Topic: Inverewe Garden, North-west Scotland  (Read 3620 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Inverewe Garden, North-west Scotland
« on: August 03, 2008, 12:10:23 AM »
We may be hearing more about this garden in the near future:
http://www.gardens-scotland.co.uk/inverewe.html
My contact informs me that its a very good garden.

Heres another page (NICE BORDER)
http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/36/Details/
They even have their own primula - Primula 'Inverewe' and whats more, it has the AGM, hardy to H4, so good for the UK.

NightHawk

Re: Inverewe Garden, North-west Scotland
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 08:57:14 AM »
Indeed, this looks very attractive.

Maybe Tom is able to give us a personal insight into the gardens.  Being in his neck of the woods he may have visited the place.

Any thoughts Tom?

Laurie.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:40:26 AM »
Inverewe is a wonderful garden, created by Osgood MacKenzie a man of vision. He planted thousands of trees as shelter then left the place for thirty years or so. When he came back he brought topsoil from England on barges then began the process of creating his vision of a garden. The garden benefits fully from the gulf-stream and high rainfall, this allows them to grow some really exciting plants.There are huge Tree-ferns and Eucalyptus trees over 100' tall, and many other southern hemisphere plants. There are fantastic Bamboos, Rhododendrons, Azaleas and Magnolias, the list is endless, there is also a fantastic crescent shaped Veg-garden which goes right to the seashore. All this is set in a beautiful west hghland location.  Tom

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:55:51 AM »
Thanks for that Tom.

A wonderful description of what indeed sounds like very interesting gardens, bearing out what George suggested earlier.

A definite must for anyone visiting that area to go there.

I also noticed from their web site that they arrange garden tours.  A very useful service to get the most out of your visit.  8)

Laurie.