Author Topic: Soos Creek Botanical Gardens  (Read 7062 times)

Offline bossgard

Soos Creek Botanical Gardens
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:00:52 PM »

http://sooscreekbotanicalgarden.org/

Check out the Soos Creed Botanical Web site! Its chuck full of additional information about the garden and its history, its volunteers and events, and its plantings. It’s a one heck of a beautiful garden; we have visited it twice so far, and intend to visit again and again!

The following paragraphs were written by Val Easton, and published in a recent issue of the Seattle Times Newspaper. I will post a single paragraph from it each time. The photo accompanying the paragraph may not necessarily describe what’s in the photo.

"Need an English-garden fix? Or somewhere to take visiting relatives? A new botanical garden in Auburn (State of Washington, USA, Pacific Northwest, Upper Left Hand Corner of the Map, about  25 miles south of Seattle) offers extravagantly planted double borders, inspired by the color play of British garden designer Gertrude Jekyll. The borders are more than 500 feet long, and wide enough to hold masses of shrubs, trees and perennials orchestrated by color. "

Offline bossgard

Re: Soos Creek Botanical Gardens
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »

“Plant collector and connoisseur Maurice Skagen has designed and planted these 22 acres since the early 1960s. He opened Soos Creek Botanical Garden to the public a little more than a year ago with the goal of saving the property from development as well as sharing all he’s created.”

--Valerie Easton is a Seattle freelance writer and author of “petal & twig”. Check out her blog at www.valeaston.com. As published in the Seattle Times Newspaper.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »
Thanks for posting the photos Toby. I can see why you enjoyed your visits there so much (and judging by those shadows, the fact that it looks like it was nice and sunny would make the experience even more enjoyable).
I'll have time to peruse those links over the next few days when we visit our daughter for a few days :D

Offline bossgard

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »

“Skagen and partner James Daly, with the help of a small staff and many dedicated volunteers, welcome all of us in to sketch, photograph, and study or just walk the paths and enjoy the drop-dead, classic beauty of the place. Special collections include kalmias, maples, magnolias, hydrangeas, roses, camellias and rhododendrons.“ - As published in the Seattle Times Newspaper.

Valerie Easton is a Seattle freelance writer and author of “petal & twig”. Check out her blog at www.valeaston.com.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »
It looks a great place to visit, Toby. A bit far away for us, I'm sorry to say  ::)

Eric

Offline bossgard

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »

“The property is part of the original 200 acres Skagen’s Norwegian forebears purchased in the 19th century. They logged the land and raised dairy cows. There wasn’t much besides rich soil, big-leaf maples, alders, Doug firs and skunk cabbage along the creek when Skagen began to plant 5 acres his parents gave him. Since then, he and Daly have bought 17 more acres, and collected plants from local nurseries and around the world.”  As published in the Seattle Times Newspaper.

Valerie Easton is a Seattle freelance writer and author of “petal & twig”. Check out her blog at www.valeaston.com.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:35:14 PM »

“Maurice started out like any other greedy gardener,” says Daly. “I just haunted nurseries,” admits Skagen.

Frequent visits to gardens in England and Japan inspired Skagen to create stroll gardens, and to plant a wide variety of plants, including banana trees that flourish despite it being chillier on the plateau than it is in Seattle.”  - As published in the Seattle Times Newspaper.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »

“The long borders are Skagen’s favorite part of the garden; he points out how he grows roses and vines up trees just as Vita Sackville-West did at Sissinghurst Castle. In springtime, a huge deodor cedar is spangled in pearly pink Clematis Montana blossoms.” - As published in the Seattle Times Newspaper.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 10:10:16 PM »
Its a very mature and established garden Toby. Keep up the good work posting the photos :)

Offline bossgard

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 02:48:06 PM »

“While the long, double borders, with colors flowing from cool to warm, may be the garden’s defining feature, there’s plenty more to see. The newest areas are a vegetable demonstration garden (the produce goes to the local food bank) and a rain garden that channels parking-lot runoff into a pond.” - As published in the Seattle Times Newspaper.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »
What did you think of their vegetable demonstration garden Toby? I suspect that was of great interest to you ;)

Offline bossgard

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 11:18:48 PM »

“Children love the aviary aflutter with Asian pheasants, peacocks, cockatiels, parakeets and quail. Gunnera and umbrella plant (Darmera peltata) line the banks of a vast pond afloat with water lilies. Trails wind through a cedar grove, ravine garden and native woodland. The Heritage Flower Garden is rich in plants grown by local settlers, including roses, peonies, heathers and iris. Still to come is a scented garden, chickens and maybe some farm animals.”  - As published in the Seattle Times Newspaper.

“When to visit? Skagen says the garden offers bloom, foliage and structure in every season. Admission is free.” We hope people will be more apt to return if we don’t charge, says Skagen, who delights in sharing his life’s work.”

Occasionally, we will come across a tree growing on a stump like this in the forests. Maybe someone can come up with a name for it, I call it the "hitchhiker".  This is the last photo, for this series for Soos Creek Botanical Gardens! More later! Stay tuned! - Toby 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »
You've made a good job capturing that image, Toby. I'd have had difficulty with all that bright light in the background. I'm sure it is a very conspicuous - it is certainly very unusual! I bet its been snapped quite often in the past :)
Many thanks again for posting and sharing your photographic memories of your trip to SCBG!

Offline bossgard

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
George, you asked what I think/thought about the vegetable demonstration garden at Soos Creek.

First of all, I would give a great big cheer and a capital ‘A’ for the effort that the two gentlemen owners have offered to the local food bank. And  to their staff of dedicated volunteers assigned to carry out this assignment. Most certainly, there is a need for food donations during these difficult times. There are many small children going hungry here in the USA, or their parents postpone eating, while their children get fed first.

As far as the actual demonstration gardens are concerned, I am not sure of the message the gardening staff wishes to explain and show to visitors. The veggies are located in an area very close to the greenhouse that the staff uses for all their plant propagation.

But unfortunately the greenhouse is off limits to the general public. Which again, is also very understandable, as some visitors would certainly help themselves to the young plants, if they would have chance. The greenhouse area, along with the veggies is fenced off but with an open gate, so you can view them closeup, and walk amongst the raised beds that they are growing in. Some of them are signed as to varieties; there are some with vertical growing habits are on trellises.  The trellises might have been homemade, I’m not sure.  But when we visited there, some corn was growing, squash, tomatoes, and quite a verity of other standard consumables. Whether all the starts were homegrown, or whether they might have been donated by others, I do not know.

But missing out on viewing the most important step (at least to me) of seed starting, potting up, fertilizing, watering, etc., when it is so essential to growing veggies is disappointing! And here again, there would be some visitors that would help themselves and harvest the veggies. People are funny that way!

I believe I am correct in stating that they are allowing school children to visit and talk about raising vegetable. Again, kudos to the Soos Creek Botanical Garden's staff!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
Kudos indeed Toby - that is a commendable project :)
Thanks once again for being our "reporter" on SCBG.