Author Topic: La Seigneurie, Sark, Channel Islands  (Read 4023 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
La Seigneurie, Sark, Channel Islands
« on: February 12, 2006, 11:49:51 AM »
Does anybody else watch John Cravens Country file on Sunday morning on BBC1?

Its really very distracting for software developers  ;D
I find myself having to abandon what I'm already engrossed in, and looking at the program.

Today, it was a documentary on Sark.
The island where time stood still. In the old fables, a smugglers paradise, as its somewhere between France and England.

So, I sat back and just wished I was there.

Now, the bi that REALLY took my attention was the visit to the Seigneur.
Mr Michael Beaumont then led the program presenter around the gardens. WOW!!

When the program ended, I went on the web and found this web site:
http://www.sark.info

and this page about "La Seigneurie"
http://www.sark.info/index.cfm?fuseaction=attractions.content&cmid=130
They state:
The gardens are one of the finest formal gardens in the Channel Islands. They were recently recognised by the RHS and have won many awards. The original planning and planting is due largely to the Seigneur's grand-mother, the late Dame Sibyl Hathaway. They remain one of Sark's most popular attractions.

What a gorgeous place!
Anybody been to the gardens? Any photos?

Now we have out own member from the Channel Islands. I'll have to send a wee email to SueCee and ask her to drop in here again and tell us more!

Some of the facts I picked up about Sark
No cars
2000 bikes (and they are charged road tax!!)
Islanders are very keen to give tourists a lift (something I found when I was a student spending my summer in Guernsey way WAY back- and they went out of their way to drive you to your destination)
However, no cars, so you have to hop in the trailer of their tractors, or horse drawn coaches 
They have a stone prison, 2 cells, where no one is allowed to stay longer than 2 nights.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:54:57 AM by ideasguy »

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
Re: La Seigneurie, Sark, Channel Islands
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »
I wonder if any one else saw the recent TV programme about the changes which have been taking place on Sark?  It was quite disturbing stuff, and did not come as a complete surprise to me as a taxi driver on Guernsey told us much the same story last year on our journey from St Peter's Port harbour to Guernsey airport.  We had been having a few days holiday on Herm island which I cannot recommend enough;  we're going back this September for a few more days.  I believe the island won an award again last year for its gardens... I'll check and post any relevant links.  I always thought I wanted to go to Sark but now I have no interest, Herm is where my heart yearns for :)

NightHawk

Re: La Seigneurie, Sark, Channel Islands
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 08:23:38 AM »
Disturbing news indeed there Trish.

That certainly will do nothing for the tourism there and be detrimental to their economy  :(