Author Topic: Download tip  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Virginia Fraser

Download tip
« on: May 21, 2013, 04:16:34 PM »
Windows 8, IE10

I gather some people have had trouble finding & running downloads. Don’t know if this might help, I found that on any IE page you can do CTRL-J and get the "View Downloads" window which gives you the choice of Run or Save; you can also go to Tools in the very top line (where the File menu is) and select View Downloads from the drop-down menu.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:13:05 AM by ideasguy »

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Download tip
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 09:35:39 AM »
Thanks for posting this Virginia ;)

We have communicated on this. You taught me that CTRL-J tip. I have to admit that I for one don't explore those Windows shortcuts enough ::)
This one is very relevant to the current debate on downloads and program updates.

Here's a little test (W7 and W8).
Click Ctrl-J or use the Tools> View Downloads method.
The View and track your downloads window appears.
Is it empty?
Its good housekeeping to keep that window clear.

Now on to Bank Genie Program Update downloads.
Do Ctrl-J.
If there any downloads in that list relating to Bank Genie, then they should be deleted.
They are most likely out of date and will cause confusion next time you download a Program Update.
e.g. if you downloaded a Program Update 2 weeks ago it may still be on that list,
If you download a newer program update for the same program, a duplicate will appear.
In fact you could end up with a list of downloads of the same name.
By doing Ctrl-J and clearing the list, you will only have one item in the list when you do your next download.

In other topics, we have been talking about the need to RUN the download.
That screen makes it easy. You will see a Run button beside each download in the list.

I have a feeling this has been causing problems to our members - thanks again for sharing this Virginia

PS Please excuse me for moving this topic to General discussion - it certainly is of general interest!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:40:45 AM by ideasguy »