Author Topic: Partial Backup/Restore  (Read 2525 times)

Offline Pensioner

Partial Backup/Restore
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »
I just made my first backup to external HDD, and something struck me, metaphorically speaking.

As a new user, I am still finding my way around, and one thing that is annoying me are Broken Transfers of which I have hundreds.  Mostly this is because when I imported accounts from MS Money, old closed accounts for which transactions existed in live accounts were not imported (why bother) and/or I changed the naming of live accounts before completing the import process, which I gather was a mistake, and/or they relate to investment accounts that I cannot import yet.

I have got to the stage when to start from the beginning would be tedious, especially as I have typed in all my standing orders now, and I'd prefer not to have to do that again.  So I am left with nearly 400 Broken Transfers to deal with over time.  George says why not just leave them.  Yes, that is probably the way forward and they will go mostly or I will change the category to Xfer from a deleted account. 

However it occured to me a couple of things that might help (or perhaps not) that I could sound out here.

1.  Backup & restore.  The process is a full backup it seems of the complete data.  If I wanted to start again, I cannot for example restore just my standing orders (for example) or individual accounts.  It's all or nothing.  (There's nothing like adding complexity!)

2. Well, I am sure there was a no. 2 but it has vanished from my mind!  If it returns later I'll post it.  Oh dear.  Ah yes: I began by doing a Quick Backup but got an error message, presumably because there was no previuos backup in existence.  The error message no longer appears after doing an initial Backup (Showing History).  If that is what should happen, pehaps an entry in the Help might be in order.

Incidentally, I have found that the best way of correcting a Broken Transfer in live accounts that won't match in the Broken Transfers program, is as follows.
 - Find the credit transaction and delete it from the account.
 - Find the debit tansaction and edit it to transfer to the correct account.  On saving changes it re-adds the credit transaction correctly.

I don't know if that is in the Help somewhere.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Partial Backup/Restore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »
When it comes to complexity, I'm yer man ;D

Re: 1)
I can tell you how to do that privately. Its dangerous in the wrong hands.

Incidentally: In the Restore program BS493 you will see an Other Restore Options button.
That does allow a Partial Restore, but of "safe" core files- NOT live files.
Allowing a widespread "partial restore" of any live files in the Bank Genie relational database is not something I want to risk.

RE: 2) I'll look into that!

More later
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:47:15 PM by ideasguy »