Author Topic: A nest of leverets  (Read 2557 times)

Offline whis4ey

A nest of leverets
« on: July 21, 2008, 12:28:11 PM »
My new wildflower meadow is at last starting to green up and the first wildflowers are beginning to show
On a walk this morning I noticed a large patch of taller grass over towards the road, which obviously had not been killed when the original meadow was sprayed to prepare for the new seed
I took a walk over to have a look when a hare leapt out and ran away across the meadow. I looked to see where it had lain and discovered I think 5 little leverets (I didn't want to disturb them too much by getting too close)
I got a little on video which I will upload to my website when I get the chance
However ...here is a pic
Cute eh?

NightHawk

Re: A nest of leverets
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:25:33 PM »
Nice one Billy.

You're certainly attracting the wildlife into your new wildflower meadow, so I think you can regard that as a big success.  ;D

It just goes to prove what wildlife is really lurking out of sight in the undergrowth.

Look forward to seeing your video clips when you're ready.

Laurie.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:31:02 PM »
In the Garden I manage we have a large herbaceous border, for weeks I was finding perennials with all the new growth snipped cleanly off, most annoying. This caused me a bit of worry because the gaden is around 5 acres, not easy to get rabbits out of a large garden. After some careful investigation I found 4 Leverets sleeping in the Border. The good thing about leverets is that they won't run away when you get near, they just pull themselves down into the ground. I gathered them all up and moved them to our Bluebell wood.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 03:21:47 PM »
How are your little ones, Billy?

Its now the time for harvesting barley etc. Makes me wonder how many end up being gathered up by reapers.

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:18:47 PM »
All gone George
She moved them when she found out that I had put their photograph on the net without asking :)
Apparently they will be re-housed singly around the neighbouring fields (in the long grass), the idea being that if they are discovered and killed the rest will survive
If they are in the neighbouring field it will shortly be cut for silage
So they had better grow up quick :)

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »
Mama hare obviously has the copyright on those little darlings... she must be hopping mad to hear they were internet leverets without her permission oops... haremission.

mmm... if the silage is to be cut,  perhaps she'd be better to get them to leg it to Bluebell wood when they still can eh?