Author Topic: My Garden???  (Read 2287 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
My Garden???
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:21:22 PM »
Ive had a few "experiences" this past couple of weeks which makes me wonder who is in control out in that little jungle of mine.

I opened a black bin bag beside my compost heap. Inside was what looked like a large white ball. I thought it was my dogs ball. Then the air filled with wasps.
Exit stage left!

Then I decided to have a peep at how the damson crop was looking. I cut some nettles and long grass with my shears - and came under attack from a swarm of hornets. Now, from vivid memory, those things are evil. A few years ago I was cutting my hedge and disturbed a nest of the creatures. One struck me in the eye. I thought it was an accident, but no, the vicious litle creature had stung me, on my lower eyelid.
As if to prove this wasnt a coincidence, the same thing happened again one or two years later. They go for the eyes!

On this recent brush with nature I was more lucky - I got stung on the back of the neck - probably because I ducked and hoofed it!

As for slugs. Well - no more Mr Nice Guy. Ive just planted out a lot of new delights and they have been decimated in only a few days.
From bitter experience, its obvious that these things are really REALLY adept at recognising a choice variety of plant.
Seriously, its very apparent that the nicer the plant to a human, the tastier it is to a slug.
Now its destroy on sight, and slug pellets sprinkled around the base of my nice sweet plants.

Then theres ants. Ive never seen so many of the creatures. It started last year, but this year its ridiculous. Everywhere I go weeding I find the ground teeming with colonies of the things within minutes. Its really annoying!! OK if you catch on and beat a retreat until they have settled, and (recalling where they live) return later to finish the clean up, avoiding the nest.

Ive noticed this past week that they have batches of what look like eggs. THOUSANDS of eggs. When I disturb them, they run all over the place with the eggs.

My little grandson James is fascinated by them. I found a colony, with eggs,  under a stone on Saturday and we watched them scurry around.
I set the stone down again - like putting a lid on the problem!

Half an hour later his dad arrived back from shopping, and I asked James to show his dad the ants. He knew exactly where to go. All was quiet, so I lifted the stone. All the eggs had gone!!

So, I decided to do a little research on the little blighters.
Heres an interesting web site:
http://www.bubblegum-productions.com/anthony/eggs.htm
Check out the links

NightHawk

Re: My Garden???
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 06:16:14 PM »
My, my George, you are in a bit of a pickle with all those critter infestations  :o

Remind me again....... you don't live in the Amazon Rain Forest do you ???  Seems all you need now to complete the picture is a plague of Locusts.  Scrub that, I wouldn't wish that on anyone  :-X

As for slugs. Well - no more Mr Nice Guy. Ive just planted out a lot of new delights and they have been decimated in only a few days.
From bitter experience, its obvious that these things are really REALLY adept at recognising a choice variety of plant.
Seriously, its very apparent that the nicer the plant to a human, the tastier it is to a slug.
Now its destroy on sight, and slug pellets sprinkled around the base of my nice sweet plants.

You should have bought those copper rings George  :-X

Seems you've got some challenges there, so the best of luck.

Let us know how you manage to 'deal' with them all.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 07:38:35 PM »
Gosh, I'd need a lot of copper rings!

On initial inspection on retun from work, I notice theres a lot of snail marks around the precious plants where the pellets were sprinkled, and a number of carcasses. They are usually OK when theyve grown a bit, so lets hope they are allowed to get their heads up now.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 08:49:36 PM »
New scenario for Steven Spielberg? Jurassic Garden, starring little James ;)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:34:51 PM »
That sounds about right. I get attacked, stung, bit and then they find a good looking young hero to come in and grab the glory  :)
Mnd you, if he can do anything with that lot he'll be MY hero, thats for sure.