Author Topic: shearing time again  (Read 2467 times)

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
shearing time again
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:18:33 PM »
This evening has been re-scheduled as sheep shearing session. Two weeks ago this had to be abandoned because of a combination of drizzly dampness and our shearer's blunt shears. We have bought new shears. The weather is beyond our control so just keeping fingers crossed.

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
Re: shearing time again
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 12:54:02 AM »
It turned out to be third time lucky with the sheep shearing, but when it finally happened it went well and didn't take too long, partly thanks to new sharp shears.  I am SO relieved we got them sheared and subsequently sprayed before this hot spell started.  They are surprisingly sprightly for their age and since there is a feature on the breed in this month's Countryside magazine we are going to make enquiries as to whether any stockholders/breeders might be interested in lending a tup later this year.  It's a long time since we had lambs but if any of them were to manage it it would be a wonderful contribution to the breed.

http://www.countrysideonline.co.uk/the-magazine/from-the-magazine/

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »
I used to keep a few sheep myself years ago, when we awee in the UK, they were just ordinary x breed for lambs, what breed are yours

Phil

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
Hi Phil, they are North Ronaldsays;  now on the rare breeds watchlist, amber category, endangered 300 -500  !
https://www.rbst.org.uk/rare-breeds-watchlist

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »
nice  ;) its great when smallholders try to use rare breeds for there live stock