Author Topic: Deterring cats  (Read 2886 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Deterring cats
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:52:24 AM »
Cats! You either like them or hate them.

My big doggie died last year. He kept the garden cat free.
Next door neighbour has 3 cats. Neighbour at top end of garden has 5.
They use my garden (I'm sure you know what I mean).
We love the small birds and have feeders outside our patio windows so we can enjoy watching over them.

With no dog for protection, we now see cats sneaking through my plants and stalking them out :o

I was able to scare them off initially by opening a door or window and making dog noises (now I know where the expression Barking Mad comes from). My wife was amused but she understood, but she did have reservations about what the neighbous would think :D
The ultimate failure happened a few days ago - I opened a window and made my big dog noises at a cat. It looked at me as if to say - you're having a laugh, eh? It then ambled over, cocked its leg and watered one of my precious plants >:(  >:(
Just now, Ive been listening to phone ins to a local radio station, and they have been relating their methods of deterring cats.
One was water bottles. Next listener phoned in to say that didnt work, and that he used garlic powder.
Another listener recommended orange peel scattered around. Do you have any recommendations?

NightHawk

Re: Deterring cats
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 06:17:20 PM »
Well, without sounding flippant George - getting another dog seems the best option.

We are also in the same boat as you with neighbours around us having cats, and the cats using our precious borders full of beautiful plants being dug over so they can do their toilet.  >:(  >:(

We're not cat lovers - never have been, so it's particularly annoying when they come into our garden to do their business (never in their own gardens though  >:( ).

There are also dog owners around us too, but they walk them on leads and carry poop-bags around with them to clean up their pets' mess when required.

Our dog, as you know, is a little Yorkshire Terrier but we don't give her the full run of the garden at the moment (just our rear patio area, which is fenced off from the garden), as there are too many places she could get out through.  Maybe when she's older, she's only 9 months at the moment and still very inquisitive to explore everywhere  ;)

She is smaller than the cats anyway so chances are they wouldn't be bothered by her presence.

Therefore, we haven't as yet found a sure-fire deterrent either.  So we would be very interested to hear if any of our members can come up with a solution.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:19:48 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:25:20 PM »
We are having a rest from having a dog for a while. Its hard to replace a dog who had the ability to cause such a wide range of feelings - anger when he dug up my plants to get at the bone meal, rage when he boned fledglings on their maiden flight, nuisance when he lay around and got under our feet (Ive tripped over him a few times in the dark!), dog hairs getting everywhere (very big problem for my houseproud wife), fun with his enthusiasm and moods (just like a human!) to a feeling of security in having him to alert and protect us!
He was the most placid creature imaginable.
One day perhaps...

...they come into our garden to do their business (never in their own gardens though
Yes, quite. Is that a known fact about cats?

Offline Jenna

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 04:41:48 PM »
I will ask my Dad about this you know, as he has this thing shaped like a cat which gives off a noise which is inaudible to the human ear, but deters cats.  I am unsure what it is called, but will check it out.  He is very happy with it :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
Ive heard of a sonic device for deterring dogs from barking Jenna, and the neighbours beside the 5 cat family have 2 dogs which bark all day (but only when their owners are not at home) - a real nuisance. I'm planning to buy one.
Lets hear what your dad has to tell us :) I'm impressed if your dad is happy with it.

Offline peter1925

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 01:02:23 AM »
We only get one cat trough the fens from next door. He doesn't make much trouble, he just like to go to sleep on a chair in the gazebo. It seems also that he keeps away the moles from the lawn.
There are many other visitors that come around, some every day, others only sometime. Not long ago we had a raccoon family come across the yard, they were beautiful. Frogs are at the ponds making a lot of noise in the summer and even now, I heard one yesterday. From time to time we have rabbits, they can be more a problem I had to build a trap and then we took them to a park a few miles away. It is strange how sometimes there are quite a few and then they disappear. >:(

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 09:56:33 AM »
Hi Peter - its very nice to see you visiting again. I hope you and Carol are well!

Its all a pecking order, isnt it. Cats can certainly keep many unwanted creatures either at bay or under control - the four legged small and larger rodents are VERY unwelcome! I have to admit that they do a better job at keeping them under control than dogs.

I love to see frogs, but they can give me a fright when they leap out when I'm weeding. They dont show any fear of humans :)
Do they really eat slugs? If yes, I wish they had a better appetite. They are a major problem in my garden.

In her garden, my sister encouraged regular visits from a Fox and from a Squirrel. They had their own feeders!
After the story about a Fox attacking a child in London, she reviewed that policy!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:59:42 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »
I love to see frogs, but they can give me a fright when they leap out when I'm weeding. They dont show any fear of humans :)
Do they really eat slugs? If yes, I wish they had a better appetite. They are a major problem in my garden.
They do eat slugs George - as well as flies, worms, spiders, caterpillars, and small beetles.  So they're a garden friend  :)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 12:31:52 PM »
Think I'll tip off the worm population in my garden :o Go underground :)