Author Topic: Snow again  (Read 2741 times)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
Snow again
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »
Had a good 3 inches yesterday, raining at the moment but the predictionsare afor minus temps at night so we could have some slippery roads

NightHawk

Re: Snow again
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
That's bad news Phil, but you could still have this weather right up until April (perish the thought though)  :o

Weather here is clear and quite warm.  Had some rain during the night but sun is out at the moment.

We've had chance over the last few days to continue tidying the garden, taking it a bit at a time.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 07:57:21 PM »
Snow up North (Ireland) as well Phil. Not quite as much as you, but it lingered all day. -1 around 9am and +1 mid afternoon.
Please tell me this will not go on until April :'(

No gardening here, Laurie. Garden and I are taking a winter break :)

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »
We've got a few old brown twiggy shrubs that's going to get pulled out.  They've not been looked after, and some are looking a bit sorry for themselves, some are actually dead.

Malcolm was right about this part of the country being almost tropical in comparison to other parts, especially at the moment anyway.  A far cry from the northerly cold snaps, snow and ice, etc., that we've been used to.  I can certainly sympathise with George and Phil.

Anyway George, your snow won't go on until April  :D   :-\

Hopefully not.

Laurie.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 10:57:25 AM »
Snow up North (Ireland) as well Phil. Not quite as much as you, but it lingered all day. -1 around 9am and +1 mid afternoon.
Please tell me this will not go on until April :'(

No gardening here, Laurie. Garden and I are taking a winter break :)

no i think this is the last of it according to a man that watches what animals do he can predict the weather and he predicted this second lot and thats it back to an irish spring warm but wet  ;D its still lingering roads are dodgy  ;D  ;)  :D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:29:58 PM »
We've got a few old brown twiggy shrubs that's going to get pulled out.  They've not been looked after, and some are looking a bit sorry for themselves, some are actually dead.
My reccomendations?
Dont pull anything out for one complete growing season. See what they produce when they come into season , and identify what they are. Much too soon to make decisions yet.
Many of my plants (shrubs and perennials) look dead at this time of year, but they are merely in winter dormancy.
If you must dig, split and keep the outer bits of perennials and replant, but not until spring.

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:02:19 PM »
Good advice there George  8)

Will do.

Laurie.