Author Topic: Scent  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Trevor Ellis

Scent
« on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:03 AM »
Further to George's comments on scent in the garden, since the beginning of the month, our garden has been suffused with the scent of Meadowsweet or Bridewort (Filipendula ulmaria). I used to grow quite a lot of this at a former garden and was always intrigued by the fact that, similar to Georges example, the garden was flooded with the scent yet if I sniffed the flowers closely, I couldn't smell them at all. At present I only have a small plant of Meadowsweet still in a pot waiting to be planted but it's scent was strong many many yards away. Meadowsweet was Queen Elizabeth I's favourite herb apparently - maybe they needed it's scent since hygene was not quite up to par at the time! The sense of smell is so individual isn't it. I once bought several plants of a rose (Margaret Merril) because of it's reputed and advertised fragrance and when it flowered I couldn't smell a thing - not a hint - and yet others, like Gertrude Jekyll are beautiful and strong to me. Rosa Gertrude Jekyll  invokes a smell of canine deposits as far as one of my neigbours is concerned! Obviously it's wise to try before you buy.

It's just started to rain! Joy!

Cheers,

Trevor
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:45:30 AM by Trevor Ellis »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Scent
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 07:35:25 PM »
Filipendula really is a very lovely scent, Trevor. I split one this year and now I have four plants in various locations in the garden. One is along the front wall for the benefit of neighbours taking a stroll.
Rather similar is Rodgersia. A waft of scent from it is also heavenly.

RE:
Rosa Gertrude Jekyll  invokes a smell of canine deposits as far as one of my neigbours is concerned
I have some reason to believe that when you put a nose to some scented plants you can get an unpleasant smell.
One example is a pretty Rowan tree in my sons garden. We caught a beautiful scent wafting in the air, but when we found the source is was rather pungent - in concentrated form? Has anyone noticed anything like that?

Roses are spectacular this year in Ireland. They seem to have really enjoyed the beautiful weather weve had so far this year, particularly late May and June.
I'm on the lookout for climbing Roses for an extension to the 2m high wall on our boundary.