Author Topic: First Cuckoo  (Read 3107 times)

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
First Cuckoo
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:33:02 AM »
Heard the cuckoo yeserday for the first time this year, away in the forest somewhere, next bird to look out for is the kestrel to see if he returns to hover above the fields at the bottom of the garden

NightHawk

Re: First Cuckoo
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:29:51 AM »
Nice one Phil, and lucky you.  We've never heard one in the wild yet.  :( (only in nature programs on TV).

Kestrels we can say yes to though.  ;)

Laurie.

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »
Have not heard it yet here in Suffolk,  at the Nursery we hear it regularly every year.  :)

Offline roiphil

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »

Kestrels we can say yes to though.  ;)

Laurie.

if i am quick enough may get it on camera as a recording, got to be mighty quick though it's more like road runner than a kestrel the speed it moves at  ;D

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 05:59:41 PM »
Sorry can't oblige with a Cuckoo, the Kestrel will have to do.

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:36:45 PM »
thats the fella  ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:03:22 PM »
Magnificent clarity in that photo Malcolm. Even the barbed wire is sharply in focus (couldn't resist that)
That bush behind it looks like something you wouldn't want to go falling in to. You've even captured the vicious spikes on it 8)
Is it Gorse? Where did you take the photo, and how far were you from the subject?

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »
Yes it is Gorse George,

Taken from 55 metres away in February 2007 at Stanpit marsh on Crouch Hill. Just about 6 miles from here.

I know it was 55 metres away, by measuring it on Google Earth, you can even see the fence it was sat on.

A chance shot really, I was on my own taking photos of the waders on the mud.
Being on my own I quite often look behind to see who is about, sounds daft possibly.
This particular time I looked round and saw small birds flying out of the gorse,and then I saw the Kestrel flying just above the gorse.
I was lucky it decided to take a rest on that post, must have stayed there for about 4 minutes while I photographed it.

The picture was Digiscoped, and was in my early days of using that equipment.

Back to the Cuckoo, there have been several reports of Cuckoo around here, but we have not seen or heard any yet.

Malcolm
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:01:26 PM by Lyn and Malcolm »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »
I kinda guessed it was "gadgetscoped"  ;)
It was very obliging to pose for you like that Malcolm. It really is a first class photo.

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 07:36:49 PM »
Our first Cuckoo heard in the wild last Friday (11.50am, 25 June).  :o

Was during a walk around Hamsterley Forest, Bishop Auckland, County Durham (1 hour drive from home).  Didn't see it, but heard it clearly in the distance.

The forest covers an area of 5,000 acres, and has coniferous and deciduous trees and a running stream through it.

Going back again tomorrow, so we may just get lucky and see the Cuckoo this time.  :-\    Kingfishers have also been reported here, so we'll be on the lookout for them too.

Considering the 30 years of married life in the area, we can't believe that this is the first time we've ever been to this Forest.  It's absolutely beautiful and wonderfully quiet.  ;)

Just goes to prove you never really appreciate what's on your own doorstep.  ::)

Laurie.