Author Topic: When To Start a New Thread  (Read 2030 times)

Offline TXGulfCoast

• Planting Until I'm Planted
When To Start a New Thread
« on: March 20, 2010, 05:18:37 PM »
I've a question about when to start a new thread.  I received 3 responses to my welcome, thanks to you all!  If I want to respond to Phil about the Veggie part of IG Pro, or to Malcolm about his garden, do I just continue the response on the welcome page, or start new threads in general discussion?  Or do I do a private chat, or email?  Is their any particular protocol?  Seems that certain responses of perhaps more general interest might be lost (like the info on how to post photos in a seed starting discussion) if buried in a thread with a totally different subject.

And, George, might it be time to break out the General Discussion into sub-categories: Veggies, Weather Effects, Personal, IG Pro Suggestions & Updates, whatever else, to keep track of who's doing what where?  Sorry if I'm making suggestions after 1 post, but I really see a need.

Gotta run & close windows -- monsoon rain just started!

Monica

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: When To Start a New Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »
Strictly, the general rule would be to try not to diverge from the general topic.

However, in gardening, people like to chat and I for one would not stifle something that is natural.
If there is no chat, a topic could very quickly expire.

A little off topic content in a posting is OK, provided the overall flow of the topic is maintained.

RE:
I want to respond to Phil about the Veggie part of IG Pro, or to Malcolm about his garden, do I just continue the response on the welcome page, or start new threads in general discussion?
To keep that conversation flowing, I would not advise starting a new topic.

Another suggestion is to answer briefly, AND start a new topic, giving a reference to the new topic created.
Thats a good option if you feel that a new topic is justified, and where the subject matter would develop into a good thread.

Finally, if things do get out of shape in a forum topic, Laurie (Kathy and Laurie) and I as Forum moderators can split the topic, thus creating a new topic. Ive done that a few times when I spot something that could be interesting as a standalone topic, but generally the forum is easily maintained in that respect.

RE:
And, George, might it be time to break out the General Discussion into sub-categories: Veggies, Weather Effects, Personal, IG Pro Suggestions & Updates, whatever else, to keep track of who's doing what where?
Yes, that would actually be best for me as it would make it easier to review when upgrading the software.

Don't worry unduly folk. Just go with the flow and enjoy the chat :) Above all, we want you to enjoy visiting the forum