Author Topic: Eric Robson presents a tribute to the late John Cushnie.  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Trevor Ellis

Eric Robson presents a tribute to the late John Cushnie.
« on: January 15, 2010, 09:34:34 AM »
Hello everyone,

I just thought that it might be worth mentioning that there's a Gardeners Question Time programme on Radio 4 this afternoon at 15:00hrs dedicated, completely I believe, to George's relative , John Cushnie, who we all know sadly passed on recently. Perhaps everyone knows about it but I thought it worth a reminder for anyone wanting to hear his voice, thoughts, advice and humour maybe for the last time.

Trevor
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:10:25 AM by Trevor Ellis »

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Eric Robson presents a tribute to the late John Cushnie.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 02:42:43 PM »
Thanks for posting this Trevor.
I'll tune in now.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 04:17:15 PM »
A very moving and memorable program. Thanks for making me aware of that Trevor.

The very last topic discussed in his very last  Gardeners Question Time programme was something near and dear to us here on the forum - Plant Labels!
Did you hear it?

Offline Trevor Ellis

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »
A very moving and memorable program. Thanks for making me aware of that Trevor.

The very last topic discussed in his very last  Gardeners Question Time programme was something near and dear to us here on the forum - Plant Labels!

Yes I did George. Indeed it was a fitting tribute to John. Did you notice too that someone had planted something in his memory too. Perhaps the category for humour (or another one) on the forum could be called the 'Cushnie Spot' or something?

Regarding the label question, I immediately wanted to pick up the 'phone and let them know of the facility in Ideas Genie Pro for labelling plants in ones own gardening photographs.

Offline ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »
Its a hard battle spreading the word about our labelling program, isn't it!

Mind you it was interesting how the experts differed on GQT.

In my opinion, once a label for a cultivar is lost, that plant is unlikely to be positively identified again by simply looking at it or (as was suggested) you invite a neighbour for help. Sadly, knowledgeable neighbours in the plant world are no longer in abundance!
There are just too many cultivars and many are very similar in colour etc. However, there are many other characteristics of a plant which make some extra special, and many downright unsuitable for your garden!
If you are fortunate enough to have one in your garden which is exceptionally good, it would be nice to recommend it to others - positively by name!
Thus, in my opinion Plant Labelling is essential.

RE:
the Cushnie Spot
Yes, thats a good idea Trevor.
To all: Lets have some suggestions of content and I will create a new board.