Author Topic: Burst pipes  (Read 2617 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Burst pipes
« on: January 09, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
Disaster struck today - washing M/C wouldn't work in utility room - (the early warning)  then the waterworks started - a burst copper pipe.
Fortunately it was am, so I had time to get to the local hardware store and buy a length of plastic hose and joints before their sat closing time 12:30 for the weekend!

Mind you, that was after the panic when the place was flooded! Mary holding dish under the leak until i got the water supply turned off. Then a session with Mops and buckets. What a disaster  :o

Fortunately the modern plastic pipe and fittings are much easier to use that the copper pipes and soldered joints!
Sitting down with a cuppa to unwind after that ordeal!

Offline Palustris

Re: Burst pipes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »
Been there,done that, most annoying. Especially when you thought you had lagged all possible places where a pipe could freeze.
Hope all is dry now, except the whistle!

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 09:21:08 PM »

Went to a Washing M/c yesterday, could hear the inlet water valve on the m/c  buzzing, asking for water, none cming in.
Tried the cold tap in the sink nearby, no water there either. Must have been frozen somewhere.
Strangely the upstairs bathroom was ok for cold water.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
Yes, that buzzing is exactly what we had!
I hope you got it thawed out for them Malcolm, and hope it hadnt got to the stage of bursting the pipe as in my case.
It was not a fun day here!
I turned the water off and the heating.  Also opened the hatch to the roofspace as it was like a fridge!
The house temp has plummeted. I didnt feel cold when I was working but now we are both feeling chilled.

The washing machine has only one supply pipe now - cold only (used to have two)
Its mains supply, not from the indoor header tank.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:46:31 PM »
Disaster indeed George.  :o

You kept a clear head though and acted quickly and efficently to get the problem sorted.

I would have needed more than tea to calm my nerves afterwards.  Me and water aren't very good friends - I know my limitations.   :-[  ::)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 10:23:22 PM »
Haven't done any plumbing for years Laurie!

I ran those pipes many years ago. Thinking about it, I also installed a washing machine at two of our previous houses. The fun bit is knocking holes through the walls to take the pipes - and I ddn't have one of those Kangos in those days - mallet and cold chisels!

I wouldnt tackle a job like that nowadays!

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 11:03:19 PM »
Well done George. It looks as though a lot of us are having our problems. A couple of days ago no water came out of our cold tap at the kitchen sink which has only happened once before in 53 years so we must be getting record lows. The hot and cold pipes go under the hollow kitchen floor and are laid together with the insulation surrounding them both so the hot pipe is touching the cold pipe. I ran hot water through and opened the cold pipe. Nothing happened for what seemed an age but then there was one little drop, then another and all of a sudden there was a gush. I am glad I didn't have George's repair job!

Did anyone see this satellite image from Dundee University published in the Guardian. The only bit of green I can see is somewhere round about Phil. Or have I got that wrong?

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 11:27:49 PM »

George wrote

I hope you got it thawed out for them Malcolm

Nope. Not insured for plumbing George, just a Domestic Appliance Engineer, more than me jobs worth  ;D

I did advise them to get a Plumber, they said they would wait till it thawed out. That is of course when the problem starts  ::)

Nought so strange as some of the customers I get.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 11:50:19 PM »
I wish them luck Malcolm.
It might be a good idea to advise them to make sure they know where the valves are to turn off the supply.
We are counting ourselves lucky. If that had happened when we were away, or during the night... :o
Doesn't bear thinking about :(

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 01:48:47 PM »
Well done George. It looks as though a lot of us are having our problems. A couple of days ago no water came out of our cold tap at the kitchen sink which has only happened once before in 53 years so we must be getting record lows. The hot and cold pipes go under the hollow kitchen floor and are laid together with the insulation surrounding them both so the hot pipe is touching the cold pipe. I ran hot water through and opened the cold pipe. Nothing happened for what seemed an age but then there was one little drop, then another and all of a sudden there was a gush. I am glad I didn't have George's repair job!

Did anyone see this satellite image from Dundee University published in the Guardian. The only bit of green I can see is somewhere round about Phil. Or have I got that wrong?

it may look green from above but ground level frozen white yesterday, and today snow