Author Topic: Chillies  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Pensioner

Chillies
« on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »
I am a BG user so have no idea what goes on in the garden sections of this forum.  However I am a keen grower of chillies and tomatoes.  So far this year the tomatoes are growing well although the bottom leaves are looking a bit yellow despite a watering with Epsom salts.  Flowers are appearing nicely.  My chillies, for the most part, which should now be decent sized plants are tiny, sitting and shivering in my greenhouse so as to capture as much warmth as possible.  I have only about 4-5 plants which have acieved a flowering status, the rest are way behind.

I visited Simpson's Seeds in Wiltshire a few weeks ago (http://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/) who supply most of the seed I have used this year and picked up some of their chilli plants which were also smaller than usual.  I suppose it is the mightlily cold spring we have suffered.  I was looking forward to a glut of chillies this year, but I am expecting some plants not to flower much before October now, which is far too late.http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/Smileys/classic/sad.gif

Do any others in this forum grow chillies? (I'm afraid flowers turn me off as a waste of space.) 

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Chillies
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 10:46:32 AM »
RE:
I'm afraid flowers turn me off as a waste of space.) 
:o :o :o
  :)

For me, flowers provide one of the greatest pleasures in life. I enjoy the surprises of the seasons as plants begin to flower.
Some may last only a few weeks but they are such a delight. Achieving continuous colour in the garden is an art ::)

I have grown tomatoes for a number of years now in the greenhouse.
This year I have two grafted plants (different varieties) bought at Dobbies in April. They each have five trusses and some have baby toms developing nicely.
Next batch was from seed from last year, 'Maskotka' - came free with Gardeners World! Described as Plants for pots.
I managed three nice plants from that, doing nicely.
My son bought me a packet of seed for my birthday so I grew them as well. Had to select the biggest otherwise the greenhouse would be crammed later.

We bought a good sized Red Pepper plant at Dobbies. Never tried them before. It is growing slowly, but has a mass of fruit some about the size of a golf ball.

Chillies? No. Never tried them, so over to our members for comments.
Too much water tends to slow growth in potted flowers in the greenhouse - could that be a factor?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:48:31 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »
Too cold and not enough sunlight, until the last week or so, here at least. Ours are just standing still too.

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 02:42:24 PM »
Have never grown chillies.

Used to grow runner beans a while ago (don't any more), but generally we're not vegetable or fruit growers.

Flowers on the other hand are a beauty to behold, and I was completely surprised to read Pensioners dislike of them.  When in bloom they bring cheer and colour to a garden.

Anyway, I can't offer any advice on chilli growing but maybe some of our other members will be able to help.

Offline Pensioner

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 08:38:36 AM »
Nothing like being controversial!  I don't dislike flowers, but I do like a productive garden!  Mine has many soft fruits and fruit trees (plum, apple), some vegetables and the usual occurrences of (flowering) bushes etc.  My wife is fond of geraniums and fuchsias which are scattered around in pots, and grasses (not too tall) for greenery in winter.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »
OK, we'll forgive you Richard  :D

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:18:52 PM »

For me, flowers provide one of the greatest pleasures in life. I enjoy the surprises of the seasons as plants begin to flower.
Some may last only a few weeks but they are such a delight. Achieving continuous colour in the garden is an art ::)

That's exactly how I feel :)

Our son has grown chillies but has none at the moment since he recently moved into a new build house and is busy getting the new garden organised and planted up.  The mini greenhouse is due to arrive any time now but too late for chillies this year.  I grow sweet peppers since we wouldn't use many hot ones, two varieties again.  I'm trying new methods this year as they were slow to grow and ripen last summer.