Bank Genie > General discussion

Alternative location for Bank Genie data files

(1/6) > >>

ianmcb:
Important message

The issue of location of data files was resolved with the introduction of Bank Genie 3
For more information, please read this document:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/bankgenie/AboutVersion3/aboutversion3.html

This thread is therefore no longer relevant, and is retained for historical reference only.

Not directly asssociated with registering, but concerns Bill's worries about his data files. I have mentioned this before, but could the data files be in a separate specifed folder other than the program folder. The main data file could then be specified as a preference.

It also makes it easier to manage both the data and the program.

This is for those of us who have programs only in one partition and data in another, so that reloads of OS's are easier.

ideasguy:
I dont want to change the present simple arrangement. Too many things built around that structure.

However:
With the new program BS026, you can do this yourself, Ian
BS026 allows you to switch to an alternative set of database files, either on your computer, or on Flash, or external drive.

Just use BG to backup your data files to a folder.
Presently, you will have to use BG to change Data source, to point to them each time you start up.

For advanced users, I can provide an option in Preferences to allow you to point to that folder on startup.
BG will then look for those files, rather than the files in Installation folder.

Any other BG users feel strongly about this?

ianmcb:
True. In fact I had thought of using BS026. I had hesitated as realised I had to be careful which files I was using if on the same drive. Hence I think the reasoning behind my request for the folder name to be specified on the input screen. (see my document)

However, your idea to make it a switch folder a start up preference is excellent. When can I have it?

ideasguy:
Ive had a think about this, and its actually very easy.

Use BS026 to switch to another database - anywhere, including a network drive.
Get very familiar with that to begin with.

I will make a change to BS026, so that when you choose an alternative database, you can check a new Checkbox (thats the change I'll make), to make that the permanent file location, as stored in the Bank Genie system files.

Please note that Bank Genie is single user- no record locking - this means 2 users using the same database on a network need to work with care. Can discuss that in another topic if anyone want to do that.

Bill:
George/Ian

I accept Ian's point, I myself thought it strange that the data files are held within the program files section.

I think what you are now suggesting would be an inprovement.

Please make sure that any modifications carry compresensive instructions as if users are like myself "not to knowledgeable" about programs and file storage. Then it must be foolproof when inselecting an area where the data files are to be kept and that the program points correctly at that data.
I would hate to get into a situation where some data is being stored in one location i.e. where it is now and some getting stored in a remote location. We would end up with data that is not factual.

Regards
Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version