Plants > Acer

Acer palmatum 'Hemelrijk'

(1/2) > >>

whis4ey:
We have had a disastrous year for the Japanese maples this year with incessant rain for almost 3 months waterlogging the ground
Whilst this has resulted in an absolutely astounding seed production, it has meant that very few indeed of my trees have shown autumn colour, many leaves just shrivelling to brown and falling off
Of my new trees Kinran and Moonfire in particular have simply just lost their leaves with no colour change at all
Hemelrijk has been an exception although it is fast succumbing ......

ideasguy:
Those are great photos Billy. I'd have great difficulty taking a snap in sunshine like that. It does make the colouring all the more vivid in the sunshine.

What a disappointment that your plants didnt go through that autumn colour phase this year. I'm sure you had the camera at the ready to get material for your website (mind you, its well documented already!)

As you may have read on the forum, Ive kept my Acers in pots. In complete contast to your situation, Ive had the best Autumn colour ever (particularly my ever reliable Osakuzuki and Tamukeyama)- and I was even surprised by a spectacular display from a couple of plants which hadnt shown much colour in Autumn in previous years.
Some are still in leaf. I'm keeping an eye on Shindeshojo.

I see autumn colour in the background of your photo - is it from a Rhus?

whis4ey:
The suggestion is that it is a lack of water that has caused the leaves to simply brown up and fall off
Certainly it has been a little drier since August and I dare say that the over watering the trees got during June July and August (and, indeed, a part of May) has put them under considerable stress.  To then meet a drier period probably hasn't helped
Your plants being in pots have obviously received a 'constant and reliable' water supply and have rewarded you handsomely
Ah well ...  we live and learn :)

ideasguy:
I wish I had the bravery to commit mine to earth, Billy. I like to see them at every opportunity, so it would be a difficult decision where to site them.
Ive decided to rip out a few fruit trees (pears and plums) to make way for a few acers (O-kagami and Aoyagi, perhaps Trompenburg)
(I've decided its cheaper to buy pears in the supermarket, and I already have a couple of other plum trees.)
They have grown quite large and are probably too big for their pots. If I dont plant them out, I'd need to do some pruning and root pruning.

Do you have Acer pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum' in your collection Billy? (or should that be Brilliantissima? Need to look up my RHS book)

whis4ey:
I don't have it George
It apparently gives a new meaning to the word 'sycamore'
Maybe I should be looking out for a specimin? :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version