Author Topic: Sues garden in Oxford, England  (Read 2830 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Sues garden in Oxford, England
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:07:10 PM »
Sue purchased Ideas Genie Pro 6 way back in March 2011.

I'm always pleasantly surprised when a user comes up with an imaginative idea and finds a method of making it work using the software.
Sues garden is open to the public under the auspices of the National Gardens Scheme (NGS).
To make it easy for visitors to identify the plants, Sue has used the software to print a list of the plants in each garden bed and her idea was to prominently display a list in each garden area.
I don't know of anyone else doing that. I hope some of our members will find the ideas of interest and use it in their gardens.

Sue upgraded to the new Ideas Genie Pro 6 in Dec 2015.

In the ensuing correspondence she explained:
I have been on an Oxford Univ weekend website course and now have built a very basic garden website....it needs to go live.
I think the next steps are a domain name and finding somewhere to host it - but your offer of help is most welcome as I am struggling to make decisions.

Sue had previously sent me a set of photos of her garden.
I had promised that I would make up a demo of what could be done with the new Ideas Genie Web Page Generator using her photos (you'll see lots of examples posted by Eric- aka palustris).
As most Ideas Genie users will know, I offer free hosting on our ideasforgardens.net server for those who wish to get their garden online, using the WPG's in Ideas Genie.
Heres the demo I created using Sues photos:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/Sue-Burges-Garden/

Having explained how that was done, I offered to host her website on the same ideasforgardens.net server so she could learn the web publishing process.

She was a quick learner ;D.
We went through the process of using an FTP program (Filezilla) to publish her website on our server.
Next was the challenge of thinking of a good domain name and checking for availability from a provider.
With little hesitation Sue had made a decision and proceeded to buy that domain name.
Next challenge was to buy web space from that provider.
No problems again! The provider sent the FTP details and with little assistance, Sue managed to publish her website.

Here is is:
http://www.uppergreengarden.co.uk
Take a bow Sue. That is a fantastic achievement!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:08:54 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Palustris

Re: Sues garden in Oxford, England
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »
It surely is.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
Re: Sues garden in Oxford, England
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »
Thank you George for bringing Sue's website to our attention. It is a wonderful achievement and many congratulations to her for creating such a lovely garden. We have been through Horton cum Studley on a number of occasions and we know that part of the world. It is just about at the limit of my driving these days but given fine weather and on one of my good days, who knows, we might be able to visit on the open day. We enjoy emerging from the Chilterns which, while beautiful, are a little enclosed and we like the wide open spaces for a change.
Eric H.