Author Topic: A March Meander!  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Palustris

A March Meander!
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
A bit bleak at the moment, but there is a bit of colour.
http://s703.photobucket.com/user/Owdboggy/slideshow/March%202015

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: A March Meander!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 07:28:33 PM »
Good work again Eric and thanks for sharing!
I know only too well the amount of effort you've put into that presentation.

I meander in envy - you have a wonderful display of spring plants.
That's a gorgeous Saxifraga near the end, blooming merrily. I think they are excellent plants.
No sign of flowers on mine yet!
Incidentally, my best one is inherited from my dads time here, so they have survived well over 30 years.
I'm sure you are looking forward to your new Paeonia (last photo). Its nice to see it is emerging from its winters slumbers.
One thing I love about them - they are up and growing strongly before the slugs come out of hibernation! They eat everything else around here :'(

Keep up the good work :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:30:35 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 06:34:39 AM »
Thanks for the show, Eric. Spring is definitely in the air. Like you, our helibores are wonderful but I am so envious of the crocuses. Whenever a crocus appears in our garden a wretched muntjac comes in and eats it. We still haven't found an effective way of keeping them out. Our neighbours all suffer too.  :'(
Eric H.

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 03:58:59 PM »
Whenever a crocus appears in our garden a wretched muntjac comes in and eats it.  We still haven't found an effective way of keeping them out. Our neighbours all suffer too.  :'(
Eric H.
I don't know how much Internet searching you've done on the subject Eric H, but the British Deer Society website has some useful guidance.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 06:11:09 PM »
We can only grow Crocus in the gravel areas otherwise the mice clear them out.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 05:09:47 PM »
Quote from: Kathy & Laurie [/quote
I don't know how much Internet searching you've done on the subject Eric H, but the British Deer Society website has some useful guidance.
Thank you for the link, Laurie. Unfortunately the fence I erected is now in the middle of the hedge. The muntjac deer have managed to squeeze the odd opening here and there. I don't want to have another one on the garden side of the hedge because it makes it difficult trim. I think we will live with it, they are quite pretty addition to the wildlife in the garden  :) and we will admire our neighbours crocuses.
Eric H.