Our Gardens > General discussion

advice needed on climbing plants

(1/4) > >>

AuntPol:
Hi folks,

Hope you all had a good christmas.  Now that its over with I'm turning my thoughts to my garden - just can't wait for spring!

My garden is new to me and I want some advise on climbing plants if anyone can give it.  I am looking for flowering climbers to cover ..

(a) an archway (sunny position)

(b) trellis (sunny position) that stands in front of the shed to hide the shed from view - this is a raised brick built bed with garden wire trellis attached and am willing to change for solid wooden trellis if need be

(c) a 20ft long fence (doesn't get much sun)

I've looked at honeysuckle from parkers http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-1004890-bb-1/fragrant-honeysuckle-collection/ for b and c but I am worried because someone said that honeysuckle can be poisonous and I have 5 small grandchildren, all of whom seem to enjoy eating plants!  Above all I am looking for climbers that are safe for my plant devouring grandchildren!

I already have 6 clematis in the garden covering 3 other trellis' (planted last year but right now look as dead as dodo's and i don't know if I will have to take them out yet)

Any advice will be greatfully recieved
I will also post this in the other gardening forum that I visit

Palustris:
First of all, there are huge numbers of plants which are poisonous, though not 'harmful' in the sense that the amount needed to be ingested is so great that it would take a very determined person to do any more than give themselves indigestion.
Secondly we raised 5 children with a garden full of these soi-dit poisonous plants and never managed to kill one, or our grandchildren either. Mind we did teach them all that they should not eat anything out of the garden without asking first.
Thirdly, at this time of year all but a few Clematis look like dead twigs, but just wait until spring and watch them shoot. If they are late flowering ones, then you should be looking at pruning them back in early February in any case.
Now, Climbers. There are dozens. My favourites are Akebia quinata, the Chocolate Vine, evergreen but very robust. Lonicera alseuosmoides, evergreen, not spectacular in flower, but a bee magnet with a vengeance. Trachelium which definitely needs a warm fence and finaly Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris which is deciduous but has lovely bark and likes a shady position.

ideasguy:
Thanks for posting this Eric. Some very interesting and unusual suggestions there.

By chance, I discovered that Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald 'n' Gold' can work as a climber!
I planted one beside my greenhouse and it legged its way up the left corner. It grew to a height of 6ft (I stopped its upward growth at that height) and believe me it looked beautiful. It was easy to keep neat and tidy at the base, and I allowed it to grow up and clothe the greenhouse. Better look and see if I can find a photo.

Palustris:
I always forget about Euonymus fortunei as a climber. We have one up a fence near the tunnel, never gets any maintenance either so ideal for us.

ideasguy:
One of the best evergreens as well Eric, so it has a lot going for it.
Nice to see its already recognised for that growing habit :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version