Plants > Plant ID questions

Dozens of the dratted things!

(1/3) > >>

Palustris:
As you know I have been sending my collection of plant photos to George for the Master Data Base. To that end I have been going through all my Folders. OK with the plants which a. have visible labels. b have names already, c. I recognise, but there are hundreds which I can put a genus to and hundreds I cannot even do that with. Now with Dial up it takes months to put photos on Photobucket (hyperbole there) and in any case my collection on there is getting rather large. Any suggestions as to how to get id's for these plants? I do have a very large library, but very often you need to know the name of the plant to id it! For example in the best pictured book of Clematis, they are featured by name. So though I know a particular one is a C. montana, if you look under that you get a picture of C. montana, the species, not a whole set of pics or even names of C, montana forms. It is the same for many other genus too. Very frustrating it is too!

ideasguy:
First, a few questions Eric.
RE: The Clematis montana photos which need variety names.
Are some of these living plants in your garden?
Are some taken elsewhere?

RE: The ones you CANT put a genus to:
I'd suggest making up a WPG project and putting them on the net

If theres 100's, then disc space may be an issue, so heres an idea.
IG Pro allows you to create and work with a second database.
Make up a second database specifically for your unknown plants (I can explain how to do that).
This can be offered to other IG Pro and FG users as a SWAP CD (I can explain how to do that as well).
To avoid expense on your part, heres another idea.
I plan to offer the Master Database on a regular basis. I could include a copy of your SWAP CD in the same package. Also (if you are agreeable) to new customers.
In addition to forum members, this would reach other IG, IG Pro and FG users who are not members.

Palustris:
The same answer applies to many of the plants. They are a mixture of plants from my garden and ones from public gardens and ones from shows. The photographs are all mine own so no problems with copyright in that respect.
Making a WPG of them sounds the best way forward for the moment. There is no hurry (as far as I am concerned at least.) I am still processing a good number of ones I do know for you. I am not going to start on unknowns until I have been through all the named ones.Thanks for the suggestions.

ideasguy:
I can imagine your frustration, Eric. Ive quite a lot of photos like that, dating back from probably 2001.
Some are forgettable, but theres lots of really nice ones!!! One fine "day" I hope to do what you are doing with yours. In some instances its just a memory thing, so with those there is at least some hope. Better than watching soaps on TV.

Palustris:
Not as far back as that. I did not start taking pics of plants like the ones I sent until I got this camera 3 years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version