Ideas Genie Pro > The Labels program GA048

Using Brother PT2730 label printer with Ideas Genie Pro

(1/7) > >>

ideasguy:
The Brother PT2730 prints durable labels suitable for Horticultural use.
The labels program (GA048) in Ideas Genie Pro has been amended to allow you to print labels from your own Ideas Genie Pro database.
For the downloads below to work, you need to have Ideas Genie Pro installed on your computer.

Download this:
http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igpro/igpro-fileset-ende.exe
and
http://www.ideasgenie.com/updates-igpro/GA048-dl.exe
When installed, start GA048 (under Labels tab) Should indicate Version 40 (or later)

Start the labels program GA048.
In the initial screen, use the Select a label  popup and select Brother PT2730
Then click New Labels.
Screen GA048S09 appears.
This is a new screen.

Start by selecting a Tape size, and a Label length (try 50mm to start with).

The screen allows you to select plants as before (other label screens you are used to).
However,you don't place plants on labels as in the other methods.
You click the Add to chain list button.
This creates an entry in the list box on the left (under the heading This is the list of labels to be printed)
Each plant you click and add to the list can be printed in a chain on the PT2730. In another topic we discussed how this was the most economic method to print labels, avoiding excessive waste.
To print two or more labels simply repeat click on the Add to chain list button.

Having selected plant(s) for labels, click the Edit button.
Enter text for each plant label, saving changes as you go.

On return to screen GA048S09, click the Print button with the Preview checkbox checked.
The first label is displayed.
Make sure all your text is showing. If not, edit again and shorten your text, or choose a longer label.

Each label is a page in the preview. Click next to page through the list of labels.

When you are happy with the text, uncheck the Preview checkbox and click Print (make sure your PT2730 is turned on).

A prompt screen appears to allow you to choose a printer. It should be PT2730 by default.
(If you are using a Brother PT2100 then select that device)
Now click the Preferences button.
To chain the output
In the screen which appears, uncheck the Auto cut checkbox
Check the Chain Printing checkbox
Click OK
Click Print

I'll do a web page with screenshots tomorrow.

bossgard:
Printed out three different plant labels, using text data from IdeasGenie Pro from my computer to PT2730.

Worked out fine, just as you said it would.
A little problem with working and understanding final step.

Please clarify:
‘Click next to page through the list of labels.’
Does that mean ‘click through plant list on left panel’?

In preview, will it take a length of time to bring each of the three labels in view?
I only could get first label to show in preview, not the other two,
but was able to print the three different labels in chain as I had entered.

I did have to shorten text, considerably, but that’s OK, it gives me enough identification to use.
I used my 24mm tape, my tape order is supposed to arrive this afternoon. I will then have the three sizes to use.

Have to be gone for awhile this morning, will check this afternoon when I get back to see if you have screenshots ready!

Thanks, George! Another IdeasGenie Pro software feature that you can be very proud of!

roiphil:
i have only printed a single lable of so far for testing layout etc as i am using a different make of PT printer All good until i got to the prompt screen for which printer i did not get that bit so i just went into printers and made pt2100 default printer, job sorted 1 label printed correct width and length, will have a play some more tomorrow  ;D
many thanks for update
phil

ideasguy:
That's very good news indeed Phil. I'm very pleased that it also works for the PT2011.

To Toby:
Many thanks for your ever encouraging support (where would I be without you :D)
Screenshots to follow shortly.
You seem to be OK apart from the preview. When the preview appears, you'll see a toolbar.
Only one label appears in each page.
Use the little arrow icons on the preview toolbar to advance to the 2nd and 3rd labels (each on a new page).
You need to display each preview to make sure your text is as expected on the label.

Note: Once you create a label for a plant, the text is saved - for the Label size and label design you selected (for printing). Thus you can edit and save label details for your preferred size and design combinations. If you ever need to print another label, the details are automatically reused when you add the plant to another printing chain list.

bossgard:

Yes, it was the 'page' turners (icons), I hadn't looked that closely. Everything seems to work OK now! I can preview each label and proof it's text.

That 'save' feature is going to be nice to have, too!

I will be like Phil is going to be doing, playing all day this afternoon and tomorrow. A new gardening tool, huh?

To Phil - It's nice to have you posting on the Forum again, we have missed you.
Are you still working with the Xmas tree project you had in mind, it sounded like such and interesting project. Tell us about it, when you can find time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version