Author Topic: Merry Christmas 2010!!  (Read 2711 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Merry Christmas 2010!!
« on: December 23, 2010, 12:30:32 AM »
Heres wishing all our members a very Happy Christmas!
Its my favourite time of year and we are looking forward to spending time with our family and friends over the festive period.

Are you all prepared?

Ive been sitting on tenderhooks all day, but I'm very pleased to say my wee daughter has finally arrived at Belfast International airport and making here way home as I write. Julian (my son) offered to do the driving in his 4x4 after my report of the hairy drive we had on the same trek on Sunday - the snow is not clearing in these polar temperatures!
Update: Home safely
I feel so sorry for all those folk who are stranded at airports.

The wild birds around the house are looking very dejected, especially the Blackbirds and Thrushes.
I feed them two or three times a day and keep the water frost free in their bird bath. Next door neighbours black cat has not shown any sign of the Christmas spirit. It keeps reappearing no matter how many times I encourage it to leave ::)
It must be tough being a bird!

Merry Christmas everybody!!

P.S. Still doing your Christmas shopping?
If you are stranded with all this snow and need a special gift for a friend, then heres a new Christmas Gift Shop :)
http://www.ideasforgardens.com/GiftShop/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 12:53:33 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Re: Merry Christmas 2010!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 11:42:56 AM »

Thought I would have a change from a Robin. This Male Stonechat is just as colourfull, taken last weekend.

Malcolm and Lyn

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:19:30 PM »
 Happy Christmas everyone! I have made an e-card but unfortunately haven't been able to get it attached to this message  :(

We are getting our eldest with his crowd on Christmas Eve and our youngest with his crowd (including great grandson Zack) on Boxing day. Christmas day will be spent quietly with Anthea and Benji.

A small crisis yesterday. We had a large order with Tesco Online including a large turkey. They informed us at the last minute that they had cancelled the order because of the adverse weeather conditions!. We got the car out of the garage for the first time in five days and managed to make a precarious journey for the first half mile round the the common on untreated road until we got to the village. After that all the roads were fine. We managed to get to our local Morrisons and buy what we needed including a turkey (£6 cheaper than Tesco too)  :).

We hope you all have a very happy time with your families and wish you all the very best for 2011.

Eric, Anthea & Benji.

P.S. That  male stonechat is a most beautiful bird  Malcolm.

P.P.S. As I typed Anthea called me to the window to watch a great spotted woodpecker in one of our old apple trees. It may have been interested in the peanuts hanging up for the tits.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:41:52 PM by Eric Hardy »

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »
merry Xmas to all, love your gift shop George hope it goes OK for you, we are all ready the turkey is in the back of the jeep  :o daughter phoned up and said your turkey is ready, fridge full freezer full so what do you do in arctic conditions keep it in the back of the  jeep in a baking tray and plastic bags  ;D

got some new boots for the back of the jeep today as well 255 75 R15 Kumho all terrain 60/40 (60% road 40% off road) wider deeper tread great grip on the ice and snow  ;D managed to get out of the drive in 2 wheel drive

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:50:42 PM »
Just back from a day of Christmas shopping in Lisburn and Belfast, then calling on sister and nephew on the way home.
Having a nice cup of coffee, then we will all have a little glass of Cherry Brandy :)

That Male Stonechat is a beautiful bird Malcolm, and yet another spectacular photo!
How do those little creatures tolerate these conditions? Some don't - my sister told me today of a Blackbird frozen to death on a tree.

Nice to see Santa has come early for Phil - nice wheels ; 8) and Eric has overcome that Tesco setback - a very frightening journey to make in such terrible conditions!

Simon (second son) and Keelin are arriving tomorrow to stay overnight, with our new grandson Odhran, and the whole family arrive "home" to exchange gifts on Christmas morning.
Santa will have a few trips to do down that Chimney. Hope its not blocked (like Erics earlier this week)

Merry Christmas!

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 04:30:28 PM »
And a merry christmas from Flanders. We stayed at home these days near the fire, cat in the neck. Visit of both the sons. A nice supper and hop to bed.
Am I getting old?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
Merry Christmas to you and I hope you live as long as your mother André.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 09:16:36 PM »

Couldn't resist a bit of gardening on Christmas night, it was only minus 6c at the time.

Malcolm