Fruit and Vegetable Gardening > General discussion

When To Start Your Seeds

(1/7) > >>

bossgard:
Phil and Other Forum Members:

Here is the link to ?When to Start Your Seeds, Learn How to Create a Seed Starting Calendar?.

I plan on using this guide in creating my own seed planting schedule for the first time this year. When you get to the ?Sort Your Seed Packets? section, I tweaked this a little bit. Since it didn?t cost me anything and I had the materials on hand, I think it will help me gain control of the packets. I have 84 packets of vegetable seeds I keep track of.

I printed some labels via a Word Processing Program on sheets, similar to Avery #5267 ½? x 1-3/4?, 80 on a sheet. On the label I printed the following copy:  ?D   F   R   S?. Which stands for: D ? Direct Sow, F ? Plant After Last Frost Date, R ? Repeat or Successive Plantings, S ? Special Advice. I placed a printed label on the back side of my seed packets where the various planting instructions are printed, being careful not to cover any information.

With a yellow highlighter in my hands, I re-read the instructions and marked each letter that was appropriate.  You will find that sometimes more than one letter will be highlighted. An indoor (house, greenhouse, etc.) planting schedule is the first priority for me, so my first sort is ?F?. Some varieties I will start both indoors and do a Direct Sow, depending upon if the indoor plants are ready to be hardened off. The ?R? and ?S? are self explanatory.

I would like to see George adapt this or a similar concept into Genie. Maybe if several of us use this guide this year, and report from time to time, we can come up with something.

Let us know how things go!

Here?s the link:
http://www.gardeners.com/When-to-Start-Your-Seeds/5215,default,pg.html

- Toby

ideasguy:
Great stuff there Toby. A great link and precious information

We will definitely be referring to that during our Vegetables project!
http://www.garden-software.co.uk/vegetables/
and its much better to have it here than in the running topic on the project here:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php?topic=1313.msg8947;topicseen#msg8947

Many of the things mentioned are what we call "Events"  Ideas Genie Pro (many I would not have thoigh of as I'm very much a veg novice)
e.g.

--- Quote ---I didn't make daily entries like Thomas Jefferson and other famous journal keepers, but on a weekly basis I would record the major tasks I'd accomplished, a general weather summary (hot, dry, wet, cold), what plants were in bloom, and what crops were coming in.
--- End quote ---
Events mentioned there (before= task and after done= an event):

Under Files tab in IG Pro we could set up Plant Care Classifications (GA011) for:

TaskEventStart SeedsSeeds StartedPlant outPlanted outBloomIn bloomHarvestHarvested
Coming in (what exactly does the writer refer to there? Crops being harvested?)

Weather:
Yes, Laurie has been asking for this for some time.
A must in next version.

bossgard:
George:

RE: 'Coming in'

I'm only guessing, but could that be something pertaining to harvest. 'Sweet corn should be ready to harvest next week, or two weeks'. Like in pre-planning for preserving (canning, freezing, to bring in necessary supplies.) Or to tell the neighbors when you are going to give them some.

Might also pertain to flowering, as to peak of harvest, like; 'all the rhodies willl be in full bloom next week, remember to take photos!'

'Reminder notes?' A 'fore-warning?'. I've used the phrase; 'sweet corn, coming on' to mean this type of thing.
I would actually notify my friends when to expect strawberrries, etc. so they could make plans to preserve.

- Toby

ideasguy:
Its a pretty ambiguous statement.
I'm sure we can be more specific in our project  ;D

In relation to this table:
TaskEvent(Todo= Future Tense)(Past Tense)Start SeedsSeeds StartedPlant outPlanted outBloomIn bloomHarvestHarvested
I'd like you veg experts to advise at this stage.
Suggest some more please (if necessary) which we can add using GA011 for the Veg. Project

roiphil:
Harden Off - Hardened Off, what you do before transplanting outside

still thinking  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version