Fruit and Vegetable Gardening > General discussion

No apples this year!

<< < (2/3) > >>

ideasguy:
That puts you under additional pressure, Malcolm. How far away does she live from you?

I'm bitterly disappointed. I checked my fruit trees this evening,and I have the same problem as you Eric.
My Bramley, always reliable, has only a few apples forming. I see little clusters of rotted flowers which either haven't been pollinated,or have some other problem. A light brush with the finger and they fall off. Some leaves are brown and dying.
Beside it, I have what I think is a Grenadier, used by the fruit growers to pollinate the Bramleys (they grow one Grenadier to pollinate many Bramley trees - they don't pick its fruit) It has only a few fruit appearing.

My Lord Lambourne has only a few fruit forming - same problem it seems.
Only one of my apple trees has a good crop.

Victoria plum has a medium crop. Czar plum has small crop. Damsons have small crop. Pears are about normal. Cambridge gage is pathetic- again  :'(. Oulins gage has a very good crop, best ever (mind you, its a fairly young tree)

Eric Hardy:

--- Quote from: Lyn and Malcolm on June 05, 2009, 07:10:55 PM ---Been to my 91 year old mothers garden for an hour mowing the lawn,

--- End quote ---
My goodness, Malcolm, as if you didn't have enough to do. What a pity our sons live so far away  :)

--- Quote from: ideasguy on June 05, 2009, 11:38:56 PM ---I'm bitterly disappointed. I checked my fruit trees this evening,and I have the same problem as you Eric.
My Bramley, always reliable, has only a few apples forming.

--- End quote ---
That is a shame, George. It gives me no satisfaction knowing I am not alone. In the past we sometimes have had heavy crops and sometimes light crops but never before have we not had one single Bramley apple. I wonder what happened this time?

Eric H

ideasguy:
I read the Pests and Diseases section of my reference book last night, but no conclusion.
More research required!

NightHawk:
I can't offer any constructive comments in this topic as we don't have any apple, or other fruit, trees.

Laurie.

Palustris:
You do not know just how frustrating this is.
Been out to check today and all our apples except Rev Wilkes are well fruited, even Ashmead which was heavily pruned. Bramley which fell over last year has a reasonable amount. Rev Wilkes only crops every other year and this is its year off.
Cold wind or lack of bees is usual reason for no crop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version