Fruit and Vegetable Gardening > General discussion

No apples this year!

(1/3) > >>

Eric Hardy:
We normally expect a reasonable crop of apples but this year nothing seems to have set. There is nothing on our pear tree either. There seems to be a reasonable number of Victoria Plums however. Is anyone else experiencing the same?. Normally we can expect something like this on our Bramley's Seedling by September.

Eric H

ideasguy:
Seems OK on both my apple and pear trees, Eric (last inspection at the weekend - will check again tomorrow evening!).
My problem is getting my Cambridge Gage to set fruit. Lots of blossom but the fruitlets drop off. Ive noticed them when they are just about to fall away. A slight brush with my finger and they drop off.
Its described as Partially self fertile. Ive now got an Oulins Gage (self fertile) growing close by so perhaps they will cross pollinate.
My Victoria plum is on the other side of Cambridge Gage.
My Victoria has a two year cycle - a large crop one year, and a smaller crop next.

Palustris:
Quickly while it is working. No we have a good set on everything except the Quince and a Malus trifolia (Crab apple). Even the Greengages in the hedge have fruit on them, a once every 5 years occurrence.

Eric Hardy:
Thanks George and Eric. Perhaps after a few years of fruiting well it just felt it needed a rest.

Sorry about your internet problems Eric. I suppose you are too far from civization for broadband  :(

Eric H

Lyn and Malcolm:

Been to my 91 year old mothers garden for an hour mowing the lawn, or should I say field, as haven't mowed it for some while.
Ditto the apple trees haven't been pruned for 2 years, but they have lots of baby apples on at the moment.

I am sorry to say her garden doesn't get much attention, what with my work, our garden and every day chores. She won't pay for a gardener 2 or 3 hours a week to keep it together if I got it tidied up. It is not that she couldn't afford it.

Malcolm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version