Author Topic: International Camellia Society Trials at Lady Dixon Park, Belfast  (Read 5469 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
I took these photos waaaay back in 2002, in my favourite park. This place is just beautiful (more about that later).
http://www.cultivars.co.uk/camellia-trials/

I had pages and pages of notes, maps, diagrams, all carefully stored, and finally I got round to linking the photos to plants and doing something with them.
In those days, my camera had a memory capacity of 18 photos,with luck 19 and if you were REALLY lucky, 20.
To get those photos, I drove the 20 miles (40 round trip) once and sometimes twice a day. Amazing to think that nowadays I could take them all in one session!

Its a work in progress as you can see, but its great to get them all listed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 01:20:39 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

Re: International Camellia Society Trials at Lady Dixon Park, Belfast
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:18:10 AM »
A REALLY good set of photos there George.  I'm suitably impressed.  ;D

Some very nice Camellias too, and the Park looks like a wonderful place to visit.

Looking forward to seeing the completed article.

We don't have any Camellias in our gardens.  Some of them can grow quite big, and require acidic soil conditions.  Although we regard them as pretty flowers, they tend to require a lot more work than we can give them.

Laurie.

Tom

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 12:55:25 PM »
These are very good photos george. I grow several camellias, japonica and Williamsii cultivars,  but the only real success I have had with the japonica group here in the north is 'Bridal Gown' which is pictured well in your review.   If I give Williams hybrids a west facing site and protection from the morning sun, then they do very well. I have an 8 year old plant of C.x  williamsii 'Freedom Bell' that covers itself in flower every year but I find the bright pink of most camellias, F. Bell included, a bit overpowering and difficult to fit into the more subtle tones of the springtime woodland garden.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 08:20:35 PM »
Thanks Laurie and Tom!

There are a few "grey" areas in my notes, so I hope top visit the park regularly thios spring to get a photo of each one in that extensive collection.
Its a tough job!
Each one has a stout 1in x.25in metal spike in the ground with a plant ID on top. The labelling has lasted very well.
Additionally, I got a copy of the planting plant from the man from Belfast City Council who who organised the planning and planting.
However, the plants are VERY mature and interwoven in a number of places. Also, theres the odd brier  ;D
To get to the plant pin, you have to hands and knees it and worm your way under the plants.!

I made my first visit in 2009 yesterday!
Four varieties were in bloom, and a few others were just about to "pop"!
Bow Bells and Blue Danube (to be confirmed - went by location, could find the pin) were in full bloom, and there were fine blooms for photographic material. Both those bushes are all of 8 to 10 ft tall and approx 8ft wide!
The other two, Carters Sunburst and Nobilissima (both white) had a number of blooms, but they were rather spoilt as a result of the bad frosts this past week, followed by rain.

Then the bad news. The battery in my camera failed! I only brought one as Mary was with me and I knew I'd only have a short time on that occasion. So, Eric wasnt the only guy let down yesterday!
Like Arnie said, I'll be back