Author Topic: Sterilizing cutting tools  (Read 6532 times)

Offline bossgard

Sterilizing cutting tools
« on: January 17, 2009, 12:00:32 AM »
I'm busy cutting my dahlias separating them for storage. I like to cut them before storage, they're easier to do at that time. (I know I'm late, but the crazy weather here.) Do I really have to sterilize my pruners, lopers, knives, and saw (sometimes) that I use. The most common garden liquid sterilization fluid used here is Clorox, a brand of laundry bleach, mixed at 1 bleach, 9 water, but there are small blow torches, and premixed sprays that are available, too. I would probably use the Clorox liquid. Cheaper. Do I sterilize after every cut? Do I let the liquid air dry or wipe dry first, before the cut? I have never used a sterilization method before and have not had any problems, and the dahlias are not real special, and it seems like a awful lot of trouble to go through. Same question for my apple trees. Are there any guidlines for using sterilization?

- Toby

Offline Palustris

Re: Sterilizing cutting tools
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 12:48:51 PM »
I have to confess that I only sterilise implements when taking cuttings and certainly not in general garden pruning. IF, you had plants with virus then it might be worth doing, but to me it is going a bit over the top for normal healthy material.
Indeed any viruses in your garden are going to be spread round your plants by aphid action as much as by your pruning tools.
I too use a similar bleach concentration for sterilisation. Dip the blade in the liquid, shake off the exces and cut!. Wiping the blade will remove the effects of the bleach and and virus/bacteria on the cloth/paper would then be transferred to the cutting material. Never tried heat sterilising though. You would have to be careful that the blade was cool before use or run the risk of damaging the cutting.
In other words, please thyself. ;D

Offline bossgard

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
Eric:

Thanks, very much for the rapid reply. Would you might taking the sterilizaton topic, one step further. How about sterilization of the pots and starter trays, etc., that one uses for starting seeds, and/or potting-up, etc. I've always tried to sterilize with the liquid formula and air dry the pots from year to year that I use for my Tuberous Begonias. My greenhouse supply house indicates a sterilization method to wipe down the greenhouse once a year. What's your input?

I have to relate this one to you: My mother and father were home gardeners. My mother for a seed starter medium, would sterilize screened dirt (soil from the garden) by using a low termperature in the kitchen oven. First time I saw a roasting pan in the oven with dirt in it, I thought, oh boy, somebody's sure made her mad.  "That's all we're having for dinner!"

Thanks again.

- Toby

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »
If you use new pots etc. then you do not need to sterilise. Old pots maybe. Must admit again that all I ever do is dump them ion the water butt by the potting shed and leave them there until I need them. Then they drain off and are used. No bleach or heat. For delicate things like Begonias I would reckon that sterilising should be done. Certainly I will for my Pleione orchids.
The Greenhouse does get done once a year with Jeyes Fluid.

Seeing soil in the oven would be a little disconcerting. You can use a microwave to sterilise soil, but I am not sure of the length of time etc that one would need. There  should be something on the Internet about it.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »

Seeing soil in the oven would be a little disconcerting. You can use a microwave to sterilise soil, but I am not sure of the length of time etc that one would need. There  should be something on the Internet about it.

An open fire with a bucket of irish peat  ;D collected from bottom of shed the left overs from the turf that was in their from years back works a treat, bucket gets a bit warm though and your room has a habit of filling up with the smell of buring grass roots etc lovely cough cough, ps only do this when the wife is at work otherwise you get your wrists slapped  :o  ;D