Author Topic: New Camera FZ28  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Palustris

New Camera FZ28
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »
Panasonic Lumis DMC FZ28 to give its full title. 18x optical zoom and Macro down to 1 cm.
It is going to take me an awful long time to work out how to use all the functions on it. BUT, it can shoot in Raw and I have a goo looking program to deal with those images ,so the problem I had with the weird light ing In Lougboro' may well b e solved.
Got a 4 GB card so should be able to get plenty of pictures on it even in Raw format.
Stand by for some pics of birds in close up!

NightHawk

Re: New Camera FZ28
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »
Nice one Eric.  8)

I've read a review on this camera and it has some really neat features.  Specs sound really good so should give you some great photos.

You've whetted our appetite now.  Can't wait to see your new piccies.  ;D

And just think of those super close-up flower shots you'll be able to get also.

You'll soon get the hang of the new camera.  Just take as many photos of lots of different things at first.  They don't have to be brilliantly composed or award-winning masterpieces as only you will see them until you're confident with it and happy with the results.  :D
That's the best way to learn.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:49:43 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:45:26 AM »
So far every picture is out of focus! Ah well.

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
Eric, are your shots out of focus even when you have it set on AUTO?

In Auto mode the focus should be set automatically.

It's possible that if the lighting conditions outside are quite dim, then the camera could be automatically selecting a slow shutter speed to compensate by letting more light into the camera, then 'camera shake' could be the culprit.

Have you taken any photos indoors with the cameras' built-in flash.  This will give a faster shutter speed and should reduce any camera shake problems.

There must be a setting on your camera that needs fiddling with.

Otherwise, if you haven't already done so, take a photo outdoors when it's either sunny or very bright.  If your camera has an LED display, it should give the cameras settings at that particular moment - lens aperture, shutter speed, and a few other things.  Check your camera manual to see if it shows a Focus Lock indicator in the LED display.  This will tell you if the camera is focusing correctly by indicating the Focus Lock readout for each photo you're taking.  Note the shutter speed readout at the same time.

I'm not fully conversant with this particular model, only what I briefly read yesterday on a website reviewing it, so I can't give anything really definitive.  My Nikon D60 gives such readouts on its LED screen so I'm assuming your camera has something similar.

Let me know how you get on with my suggestions.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 11:07:26 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 12:12:30 PM »
Will look more closely at the info, but I reckon it is my feeezing hands which are the touble!  :-[ Much more delicate and susceptible to operator shaking than the Finepix one I am used to. Will keep practising, when ti warms up a bit though.  ;D

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »
Okay Eric - that would have been my next probable cause.  ::)  :D

Laurie.

P.S.  Fingerless gloves ?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »
This one came out ok though, using one form of the macro setting.

I did a tour of the garden shoot (in -1.5.c temp and no sun). The close ups worked well, but the scenes are a bit underexposed. I will have to look at the settings for that. The depth of field is good though. So far so good.
I increased the sensitivity for camera shake and that seems to have helped.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:47:01 PM by Palustris »

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 05:19:55 PM »
A good start there Eric - great photo.

Practice makes perfect.  ;D

Once you're comfortable with how all your settings work for various shooting conditions you'll be well away, without having to think about it too much.

Laurie.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »
I have just seen this thread, Eric. I am sure you have solved your focussing problem by now. I had a similar problem briefly with my Fuji Finepix 9500 and I discovered that I had accidentally turned a button that put all my shots on manual focus. When I downloaded a set of shots I had taken I couldn't understand why the last few shots were out of focus until I checked the camera carefully and noticed what I had done.

Looking at the reviews of your camera I am sure you have made an excellent choice AND you have got a Zeiss lens!!

Eric H