Author Topic: Lupin seedlings  (Read 5401 times)

Offline mikesanders

Lupin seedlings
« on: January 22, 2006, 08:51:37 PM »
Can anyone explain why I had a good percentage germination with lupin seeds, but when I transplanted them (some 70 or so seedlings) everyone, without fail, died within a couple of weeks.  They were seeds of Russell hybrids - The Pages, The Governor, Chantelier etc.  Everyone says "too wet", "too dry", "too hot", "too cold" ............. but is there a particular reason in the case of lupins?  I transplanted them when they had developed their first two seedling leaves and also the next pair of true lupin-like leaves.  Any advice?
Mike Sanders

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Lupin seedlings
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 09:20:28 PM »
Heres a few question to clarify, so someone can answer:
Did you sow the seed outdoors or indoors?

When you say you transplanted them, do you mean outdoors?

Next, approx what month did you transplant them.

Once you have Lupins, you'll always have Lupins, Mike, at least in the UK!
Mine pop up in different places, so in my book, its best to sow them directly outside. Their leaves are easily recognised, so easy to tell weedlings from seedlings.

Off the top of my head, I think they have a long tap root, and plants like that dont like the tap root broken in transplant operations.

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 01:17:18 PM »
Hi Mike
           I have not grown the russell strain of lupin the 2 varieties I have grown are Morello Cherry and Band of Nobles. My method is one you might try, soak the seed over night and plant 1 seed in a 3"pot 1/2" deep place in a c/f or g/h and let them get on with it this is not meant to be a hard and fast rule but it works for me. ( Aftercare) when you can see the roots pushing through the bottom of the pot transplant into 4" pots and again when you see the roots usually they are ready for planting again as I said this is just my method give it a try nothing ventured nothing gained

happy gardening

harry

noideasman

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 02:43:38 PM »
Harry
where stands c/f or g/h for? I suppose it is some kind of soilmix? If I understood you well you plant them first in a 3'' pot and then repot them once in a 4'' pot. After this they go in the full soil?
Read you,
André

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 04:13:09 PM »
Think I can help you there Andre
c/f = coldframe
g/h= greenhouse
Different names in Dutch I'm sure!