Author Topic: Nikon D60 - My New Little Baby  (Read 5956 times)

NightHawk

Nikon D60 - My New Little Baby
« on: October 12, 2008, 10:27:15 PM »
I persuaded Kathy to let me have an early Christmas present.   ;D

So, this weekend I've just taken possession of a new Nikon D60 Digital SLR camera.

As you know from one of my previous posts, I was brought up with manual SLR 35mm film cameras, and I loved the hands-on feel to them.  I also wanted to stick with Nikon as I've been very pleased with the quality of photos they produce.

When I first got into the digital camera era I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 8700.  I always wanted a digital single lens reflex (SLR) camera from the start, but at that time they were so very expensive.

As the digital cameras became more popular, so they became more affordable.

I have been quite conservative in my choice.  Prices are still high for the super-duper professional photographer models that do practically everything you can think of (well, almost anyway.)

I chose the model that would best suit my needs - hence the Nikon D60.

I looked very carefully at the specifications, to make sure they ticked all the right boxes for me.

Although my Nikon Coolpix 8700 provided excellent results, there were one or two niggly things that got me frustrated.

(1) The first one was the array of button presses to navigate the menu system in order to get certain settings for a particular shot.
(2)  The auto-focus was not very precise when taking photos of close-up objects, taking many minutes sometimes to get the precise focus.  Although there was a manual focus option, again it was a series of button presses to get there.

In comes my saviour of the D60.
Number (1) problem has been taken care of.  There are less buttons to have to fiddle with, so you can just get on with the job at hand, and that's to take pictures.  The settings for particular Scene Modes are now seated on the top of the camera next to the shutter release, in the form of a small dial.  Just turn to the icon for the scene you want, e.g. Landscapes, and turn to the symbol of a mountain.  All the settings are pre-set.  No menus to scroll through whilst looking through the viewfinder.  Much more intuitive.

Number (2) problem has been taken care of.  Auto-focus mode is much more precise.  In my test today I wanted to take a photo of a small flower in the middle of a bed of many other flowers around it.  It locked on to the flower I wanted within seconds, and the result was fantastic.

It has a manual focus mode in the form of a small ring on the front of the lens, should it be necessary to use it in extreme conditions of awkward focusing.

The lenses are removeable, so you can add telephoto lenses if required.  It comes with a 18-55mm lens as standard, which is suitable for most of my needs.  The zoom facility is a turning ring on the lens, mimicking the old 35mm manual film cameras I so loved.
The sensor is 10.2 megapixels (as opposed to the 8 megapixels on my other Nikon), giving bigger and better results.
It comes with a 2GB memory card.

I've still got more testing to do, to go through all the different scene modes to see how they perform, but so far I am extremely pleased with it.

I'll share some of the new pictures in due course.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Nikon D60 - My New Little Baby
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 01:17:42 PM »
Happy Christmas Laurie. Its a lovely piece of equipment!
Those specifications youve outlined are just the job for flower photography.
Looking forward to lots and lots of photos!!!

Dear Santa...  :)

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »
I've just posted my first set of 'test' shots of some of our garden flowers.

You can see them here - http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,803.0.html

Enjoy!

Laurie.

P.S.  George, it's amazing what you can get if you ask nicely.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 03:55:58 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline Palustris

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Be the next 4 Christmas presents for me!  ::) :'(

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:03:48 PM »
Well, you never know Eric.  Santa moves in mysterious ways.  ;)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 08:17:30 PM »
RE (Laurie):
George, it's amazing what you can get if you ask nicely.

OK
Please, dear Santa, sir...  ;D

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 08:39:42 PM »
For me Mrs. Santa just laughed.................hollow laughter!

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 08:57:17 PM »
Please, dear Santa, sir...  ;D

Yes my child, what is it you desire?

NightHawk

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »
George, just let me know if you would like any of those new photos I've posted, for the database.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 09:24:57 PM »
Yes, I certainly would, Laurie, thanks for the offer. Eric is making up a CD of his pics (I already have 3!), so I'm looking forward to that!
I'm putting a lot of time into the Master Database now - its like a form of relaxation!
Its now outgrown CD proportions, and taking longer to burn copies, but thats only one minor problem. Its looking good, thanks to input from our forum members.

NightHawk

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 09:33:05 PM »
I think the easiest thing for me to do then George is go through all my picture files, our garden and the Harlow Carr visits, and put the best flowers onto CD/s (or DVD) whichever format you prefer, and send them to you.

I'll get onto that as soon as I can.  May take a little while though.  :)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 09:43:49 PM »
Eric has problems with dial-up connection, hence the CD. In your case, email is fine, Laurie.
Heres an idea. How about sending them using GA037 in IG pro - the "Send by E-mail" button.
First you'll have to add the plants to your IG Pro database and libnked to your photos. Hopefully you will already have done that.
Doing it that way, I will have the link to a plant name, and perhaps some data about the plant, if you have time to enter some of the details from the plant labels. That would be almost as nice as a present from Santa!! (You didnt think I was asking him for a camera, did you??  :) You need to be a real good boy to get something like that!)

NightHawk

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 09:53:46 PM »
It does sound like a good idea George, but the amount of files I will need to send of large Megabyte size going through my ISP/Web Host's Mail Server may not go down too well.  They could regard this as Spam activity and query this.

Also, as you are wanting the full-size original photos for the CD I have only used stripped down/cropped versions for my database.

Can't really risk that.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:59:27 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 10:10:41 PM »
My email account would crack up before your ISP, Laurie. Its a pathetically small disc space, and I pay for it!
I'd need you to send large photos to my gmail account.

In respect of plants for inclusion in the Master Database, do you think a maximum of three per day would work? Plant photos only, of course, and no pressure - just as you get time.

As for Harlow Carr, that would definitely be a CD job. In that case, make a backup to a folder called igdata, anywhere on your hard disc, or Flash.
Then use the Embedder program under Tools, on the backup folder.
It puts all your photo images into the database files, so you'll need ample disk space.
Make folders and sub folders and Burn the CD with this file structure.
d:\igdata_sets\HARLOW CARR\igdata
i.e. drag the igdata (Backup) folder into the igdata_sets folder.
That makes it a SWAP CD, which can be seen whern you use the Data Source pop-up in GA004, etc.

Note that its the same data structure as the Master Database on CD. If you have a copy, have a look at it using My Computer.