Author Topic: Fujiyama Japanese Garden  (Read 3563 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Fujiyama Japanese Garden
« on: January 18, 2006, 04:03:37 PM »
Ive invited my neighbour in!

The man who conceived, designed and created this beautiful garden lives just 30 miles from me.

Ive been up on a photo shoot, met the great man, and took about 150 photos.

Photos can in no way do it justice.
Its MUCH better than many gardens I have paid my way in to.

The garden was featured on National TV in the UK in 2005.
Theres a Video of the transmission (on DVD) available if you'd like to see it!

Here's the link. See what you think:
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
Re: Fujiyama Japanese Garden
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 06:03:30 PM »
This is absolutely lovely!  I especially enjoyed watching the video and seeing it for real!  I wish I had as much land as he does - I'm really jealous  :'( I'm very fond of Acers and Japanese gardens.  If I had more space I'd like to make a Japanese area, but I don't think I'd be able to squeeze one in to my little garden!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:40:54 AM »
Its real good, Chrissie. There's 3 large areas, so he has plenty of room for plants. I dont know how he manages to keep it in such immaculate shape. Now, I'm really jealous ot that!

Youve a lot of space in your garden Chrissie. I love the new area at the bottom, particularly the sweeping edging to the borders. It is absolutley gorgeous. Judgin by the before and thein between, it was a big unfertaking!

Geting back to the Fujiyama garden, I can send you a copy of his DVD. Its got the film you saw, plus a "home made" recording. Its as good as the TV show I was so pleased when he sent me a copy for my own personal collection and to use for making copies to gve out to forum members!

Billy was disappointed that some scenes were cut out. But, its a big garden as you say, and only a few minutes allocation on the TV transmission.

I received an email from Billy after the posting and the invite. He replied to say he will be away until March, so we'll have to wait until he returns for a bit of "craic" from the great man.

As for Acers, well, they are such beauties. You have a lovely photo of Senkaki on your web site. Any others in your fantastic plant collection?

Offline The Gardener

• Plantaholic
    • «« A FLOWER ARRANGER'S GARDEN - FLOWER ARRANGING AND GARDENING »»
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 11:31:05 PM »
I'd love a copy of the DVD George!  I wish I had more room for Acers, as there are some beautiful cultivars around at the moment.  I have
Acer negundo 'Flamingo'
Acer palmatum 'Dissectum Atropurpureum'
Acer palmatum 'Senkaki'
Acer platanoides 'Drummondii'
Acer pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum'
Acer shirasawana 'Aureum'
I love Acer pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum' for its beautiful spring foliage - here's a picture:

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 12:47:17 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous photo Chrissie (and plant of course)

I have discovered that 'Brilliantissimum' is the first spectacular Acer I ever seen, but its a long story.

It was in a large Belfast garden open to the public on a church fund raising day.
The view from the house was spectacular, looking down on the very large front garden.
There, shining like a beacon was this blazing pink plant. I went straight to it, and just gazed in disbelief. I hadnt started taking photos of gardens in those days and couldnt capture the scene on camera, but, next best thing,  its engraved in my memory.

When I found out what the Genera was, that was me hooked! Now I'm a Japanese maple nut!

Now, the tale has a strange twist. This summer I was taking photos in this magnificent garden in the Crawfordsburn area in North Down. It was blatently apparent that the lady was a REAL plantswoman, and I just couldnt believe the range of beautiful plants in that garden.

After the batteries in my camera ran out (about 150 photos later) She then remarked... you should have seen my LAST garden.

After a few minutes, you've guessed it, I was able to tell her that I had!

Getting back to Fujiyama Garden... I'll send you a copy of that DVD.