Author Topic: Propagating Clematis  (Read 11088 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Propagating Clematis
« on: September 27, 2008, 01:45:49 PM »
I'm pretty lucky (avoiding the word successful  :)) with things I propagate - cuttings, divisions etc.

However, Ive failed on every attempt to propagate Clematis.

Any tips?

Offline Palustris

Re: Propagating Clematis
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 02:13:10 PM »
I have done it a few times, but agree it is not easy. You do best if you can provide bottom heat. I assume you know that they are internodal cuttings rather than the more normal nodal ones? Stop reading if I am encouraging an aged relative to increase her cholesterol intake by the consumption of bird embryos.
One cuts the stem of the clematis between two sets of leaves rather than below a joint. This leaves about an inch below the leaf and and inch above the leaf joint. I usually remove one of the leaves. This is inserted into favourite rooting material and kept misted and warm. On really thick stems you can even slice the stem vertically to make two cuttings from one piece, but I have never tried that so do not know if it works.
The other way is to layer a stem, scratch the surface which is going to lie on the ground, it helps it to begin rooting.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 02:21:12 PM »
Although I have never tried to take cuttings of clematis, I did see an epsidoe of gardeners world where this woman took her cuttings of clematis the way she did any other plant and put a plastic bag over the pot and left them on her kitchen window sill, she was pretty amazed when the garden presenter told her that most people have trouble taking htem  ;D Hers she said root no trouble

I had meant to layer them but time got away from me and I never did.

Kathy :-*

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
Thanks for the tips Eric and Kathy.

That woman on the gardeners world program was probably doing what I did, make a nice clean slice just below the node, since that is the normal approach.
She got away with that, it seems.

RE (palustris)
I assume you know that they are internodal cuttings rather than the more normal nodal ones?
I didn't know that  :-[ Its a long time since I read up on it (need some sort of excuse, albeit feeble  :D)
I'm excited to read your advice Eric. I don't think I've tried that, so theres hope yet!

I was prompted to ask as I'm trimming a Nelly Moser which had grown through a Pittosporum bush. Both were out of control!
I'm tying it in to its allocated space - on a nice wall.
It faces South, and Ive read that Nelly Moser fades quickly in sun. Mine does, on years when we've had sun!
I'd like to get a young plant from a cutting and try it on a North facing position. Its a fantastic plant as you know.
Perhaps it will be better luck this time. I'll keep you informed.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 04:24:16 PM »
Well I have taken some cuttings this morning from Clematis V. Betty Corning and Clematis Crystal Fountain.

According to the RHS propagation book, cuttings should be internodal, sprenched with fungicide and dipped in hormone rooting powder, (cut leaves in half if they are large leaves), placed in a pot and into a heated propagator, rooting takes about 8 weeks.

Sprench - Making up a batch of fungicide, dipping the whole cutting into it.

I have several other clematis I would love to get cuttings from, Victor Hugo, Niobe, Mrs Cholmondeley and Prinsess Alexendra

I will try to get those tomorrow morning, as the book says always take cuttings early on a morning.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »
Good research there Kathy, and I see it reinforces Erics internodal advice!
I must get my heated propagator working again! It hasnt been turned on for a few years!

Keep us informed about the results of your endeavours. It will make this topic all the more interesting. Anyone else joining in this project?

Nice range iof Clematis there - I'm impressed.
As always, any photos would be much appreciated for the Master DB.  I already have pics for Crystal Fountain - I think we agree that its a real beauty.

Offline Palustris

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 09:50:21 AM »
At the last count we have planted nearly 150 Clematis. I am not sure how many are still alive, but it must be well over the 100. Sadly most of them are no longer labelled, but I do have pics of the flowers so perhaps..........................

When you insert the cuttings in the compost you push them down until the base of the leaf is just sitting on the soil by the way.

We have not got Nelly Moser though. It is not one I am that fond of to be honest.

Offline bossgard

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »
The following is taken from the December 1998, Issue #24, of the Garden Gate magazine. Thought it might be of interest, it is taken from the magazine?s Tips & Techniques page, which publishes tips from readers. I have not used this, sounds intriguing, but will probably this year. - Toby

?You can never have too much of a good thing. And gardeners are almost always clamoring for clematis. Eva Smith of Oklahoma propagates her own by layering.

In late summer or early autumn, she digs two trenches only a couple of inches deep in opposite directions from the base of a well-established clematis plant, being careful not to disturb the roots. Then she removes two of the plants vines from their support and lays one down in each trench. Eva snips off all the leaves and covers, each trench with soil, mulches with compost and waters well. By the next spring, the clematis vines that she buried take root.

Eva says, ?Every place along the runner where I snip a leaf, it roots and puts up a shoot. And in my experience, all the new shoots bloom that spring.?

In the fall, each plant is ready to transplant to a different spot or to a friend?s garden. Each time she plants a new clematis, Eva mixes in a few handfuls of compost to improve soil texture and a cup of lime to bring up the pH of her acid soil.

To make transplanting easier, you could bury nursery pots in the soil and layer the clematis in the pots. Then you?d only have to dig up each plant in its container and cut through the parent vine stringing the plants together. ?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 08:54:15 PM »
RE:
When you insert the cuttings in the compost you push them down until the base of the leaf is just sitting on the soil by the way.
Thanks for that Eric - duly noted

Toby:
That is a very interesting story. It sounds almost too good and too easy to be true, but it does sound quite plausible.
I'm convinced! I'm definitely going to give that method a try (along with the above discussed method of course)
Surely I'll get something out of all those ideas  ;D.

All members: Post here if you are joining in this project. The more feedback from our results we get the better.

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 01:24:10 PM »
I have some Lonicera Halliana that has two vines creeping along the edge of the fence at soil level, I think I may try that Layering idea.

I would dearly love to do the same with the clematis I have, but as they are all (bar one) newly planted this year they only have one or two strong upward growing vines that have delevoped shoots laterally. So I have nothing this year to layer.
The one that has grown an awful lot of vines is the V.Betty Corning. I am very impressed with the amount of growth this year and how many flowers it had, its still has some flowers on it. Another great plus for this Clematis is its one of the few thats scented.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »
Thanks for that Kathy. Looks like this topic is going to be real good- its always best to go with the experience of someone who has actually grown a plant. Labels can be deceiving!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 10:11:42 PM »
Weather this weekend has been very sunny!!!!!
One little shower yesterday, but it dried enough for me to get the grass cut and the edging done.
Today was just lovely! We were invited to Simons for dinner, but I asked to be excused so I could work in the garden. Mary and her sister (home from England on a short holiday) went ahead.
The soil is very wet, but I worked on cutting grass in the orchard, and pruning shrubs.

To get back to this topic, I took cuttings of my Nelly Moser this afternoon, using the internodal recommendations. Ive two pots made up, so now its "fingers crossed".
RE: (from Erics posting)
I also did that Eric.

Only one of the cuttings had leaves. The others I selected had green buds at the nodes. Its most likely too late for cutting this year, but theres no harm in trying!

I'll have a look next week to see if I can get a few stems layered per the method Toby described. I think it will work!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 09:06:19 AM »
No sign of growth in the two pots of cuttings, as yet.
Question: Where do the roots form? Below the node node, or at the internodal cut? (the end of the cutting)

Offline Palustris

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:59:57 AM »
The roots come from the base of the node as in normal cuttings, this is where the dormant root buds are situated. If the cuttings are still healtjhy then you stand a chance of them rooting. Normally if they are not going to root thet rot very quickly.

NightHawk

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »
Kathy took several cuttings of the varieties she mentioned in an earlier thread here, which were placed in a heated propagator - but none of them survived.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 07:35:32 PM »
RE: (Eric)
If the cuttings are still healthy then you stand a chance of them rooting
The problem with Clematis stems, they always look kinda dead!
I'll leave mine for a few weeks and see what happens

Sorry to hear your cuttings didnt take, Kathy and Laurie.
Lets ask some more questions, and see if we can do better next time.

My first question: Should we take cuttings of this years growth, or from older stem?
The cuttings I took were older stems, but I selected stems with buds at the nodes.
Question 2: What time of year?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 08:36:35 PM »
I have always used new growth for cuttings and after flowering seems to be the preferred time.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »
That seems like a good idea. At that stage it would be thought of as "semi-ripe", I guess.
I took a few more cuttings earlier today.
I accidentally broke a new shoot on a  new Clematis I bought recently, still in pots.  I potted it up per your instructions, and also took a few from Nelly.)
I'll take your advice and try a few more after flowering, as thats the best time to prune the early flowering varieties (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

Offline Palustris

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:06:44 AM »
Correct about the pruning  of early flowerers. The cuttings should have a pair of good clean leaves on them which indicate the health of the cutting. I must admit that I have not bothered for a while, since the bottom heating in the prop bench packed up. They really do need some form of subsoil heating for reasonable success.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »
I havent used my undersoil heater for a few years. Its still in place.
I'm sure there are much more efficient methods on the go nowadays. More research!