Author Topic: (Alpine) Saxifrage Dartington Double - is it dead?  (Read 8743 times)

NightHawk

(Alpine) Saxifrage Dartington Double - is it dead?
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:51:13 AM »
I bought two of these plants a couple of months ago now. I left one in the pot as I hadn't decided where to put it. I put the other one in our new Alpine bed. It started to go brown and dry looking. I had not added anything like manure to upset it, I am sure I did not over water (but then we have had enough rain to overwater a water lily :)

I gave up on it last week and pulled it out. I then replanted the other one which to be fair also had a couple of brown bits on it. Now its gone fully brown like the other one.

Have I murdered the poor things or do they go brown at this time of year?

I had assumed when I bought them they were probably evergreen.

Any thoughts would be welcome!  ;D

Kathy :-*

Offline Palustris

Re: (Alpine) Saxifrage Dartington Double - is it dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »
Ah, wish I could be the bearer of good tidings, but all the Alpine Saxifrages are evergreen, so if it has turned brown then it is probably a goner. I confess that I am not a good grower of these plants. They just turn brown for me too!

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:26:04 PM »
I was watching this to see Erics reply. Ive seen this quite often as well, but slightly different. Ive had some that have gone brown in the centre, but kept greenery at the straggly ends of each piece of growth. They look unsightly like that, and mine eventually died completely  :'(
I didnt buy replacements for that variety.

There was a lovely specimen in my garden, inherited from my dads days. It formed a lovely dense mound of little rosettes, with pink flowers in late spring.
I'm not sure if it was a Saxifraga or a Sedum (not my field - lots of varieties to compare to, in some cases a bit siilar in appearance)
It was planted close to the edge of the driveway. It decided to explore, and crept onto the tarmac, and there it survived happily for years.
Photos to follow.
It was fairly inpenetrable by weeds for years, but I'm afraid it finally did become invaded with a fine grass. It was a major chore to pull the grass, and I was also worried in case it destroyed the tarmac, so I had to dig it all up. I split out a number of small fragments and potted them up. I planted a few pieces again. It will take a while for them to reach the proportions (about 3 ft spread) and give the effect my dad achieved.

I have Saxifraga 'Mount Nachii'
http://www.mailorderplants4me.com/products/869
Its a lovely little plant - nice form, lovely foliage. Its never flowered for me though  :'(
Ive another really good one as well. Will post later
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 01:28:54 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »
Thanks for that Eric and George.

Kathy says thank goodness other people have had problems.  ;D

She doesn't feel so bad now.  Just as well they had been reduced in price so it didn't cost a lot of money.  ;)

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:02:06 PM »
Heres that nice mound I mentioned above.

Is it a Saxifraga Eric?

Offline Palustris

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 04:52:38 PM »
That is one of the so called mossy Saxifrages. There are a lot of names and fewer plants, so which one is hard to say.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 05:12:33 PM »
Thanks Eric.
I recall trying to find its name ( a few years ago) and gave up.
Its a very nice one, so I'll take care of those little bits Ive potted up.