Author Topic: Demo for Chiltern Seeds  (Read 28807 times)

NightHawk

Re: Demo for Chiltern Seeds
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2009, 09:12:40 AM »
I've also tried out the catalog.  Works great here.

I also notice a plant in their list for which we have a photo and is not linked in the catalog - Dahlia 'Bishop of Llandaff'.

The photo is on Our Garden web site.

I think 2 Gold stars are in order here.  George has worked like a 'Trooper' on this project.

Please accept these as a token of our esteem George.  Congratulations.  :)  

Laurie.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
Bishop of Llandaff works ok here Laurie, a web picture.

Malcolm

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2009, 11:45:19 AM »
Downloaded catalog lovely, but i am getting errors i have emailed george and he  said ok to post my email here to see if any one could check on theirs to see if they get error
heres email

Hi George
well done on the catalogue, but i have found an error, the catalog opens up ok, clicked on all plants in our entire collection, plant type grasses on the catalogue drop down box, highlighted stipa tenuissima Pony Tails, clicked on plant info, got message please wait retreiving plant info, then i get SYSTEM ERROR. See Error File for details
Which says
10;41 GA040/15 OLE error code 0x800706b5: The interface is unknow Foxcode table not found, is not correct version or is incompatible
10:50 GA040/15 OLE error code 0x800706b5: The interface is unknow
10:52 GA040/15 OLE error code 0x800706b5: The interface is unknow
10:52 GA040/15 OLE error code 0x80010108: The object invoked has
10:52 GA040/15 OLE error code 0x80010108: The object invoked has
10:50 GA040/15 OLE error code 0x800706b5: The interface is unknow

I have tried 6 times on different plants and i get the error but it does open up the web page for that particular plant,

when i click on ok in the SYSTEM ERROR box all catalog pages close down and i am left with a colured background with the normal system edit files etc at top

did not want to put all this on forum hence email, awaiting your instructions no rush, should i download catalogue again and see what happens ?
windows vista home premium if that helps

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2009, 12:23:29 PM »
My first reply to Phil was to say to ensure that he was connected to the internet.
When you click that button, you see a message:
Please wait... retrieving info from website

Chiltern didnt supply the Plant informaion in the files they sent, so I developed a bit of magic code which connected to their web site, extracts a specific section of inner text (the plant info) from the buy page for the plant, and displays it in that info box.

Thus, an internet connection is required.

An internet connection is also required when you click on:
'x' web photos button (xx can be 1 or many)
Buy on-line button

The OLE error code messages reported by Phil are caused by a failure to open the make a connection or failure initiating the browser (its a special instance of the IE browser, hosted in the screen GA100S31)
There are two Stipa tenuissima 'Pony Tails'  images, both Lauries photos, taken at Harlow Carr.  The plant info and the Web Photos are working for me.

Does it work for you when you click the web photos and Buy on-line buttons Phil?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:36:42 PM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
Just confirming Plant Info and Web Photos functions works here too.

On clicking the Plant Info button I get the message saying "Please wait... retrieving info from website", then info appears below.

Photos appear as expected.

We have a Broadband connection so Internet connection to Chiltern web site for the Plant Data is immediate.

Must be something to do with Phil's dial-up connection.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:55:06 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »
RE: (Malcolm)
PS just noticed there are some plants that have pictures on our plant guide that do not have a link to in the catalogue ie Echinacea purpurea 'White swan'
To explain to other members, the WPG program generates two log files when you use the WPG.
Malcolm and Laurie have sent me the files as requested.
Everything I do in relation with plants is "passed through" the Master Database.
I work continually in trying to get the plants in the Master to conform with the names found on the RHS website.
To do that, I use the RHS button in screen GA100S36.

The process involved in linking the photo references found in the Logfiles supplied.
1: Match (cross-reference) the Plant names in the Logfile to the plant names in the Master.
I wrote a set of programs which does the drudgery work. If an exact match, Logfile to Master, then "happy days"
If not, another program allows me to manually match.
Very simple things can cause a mismatch. One character is enough, even spacing within a plant name.
If its a plant which doesn't exist in the Master, its added, so the Master grows.

2: When the cross-reference has been made, use the information in the WPG Logfiles to automatically create Web Image links in the Master Database.
As a result, the Master benefits, by the addition of every photo in the Logfile

3: Run another program to cross check the list of plants in a Catalog (any catalog) and copy the web links found in the Master
The same program also adds records to the catalog section: Plants with web photos
It works a treat!

I'm still working through your large list, Malcolm
I did the ones that matched automatically, and quite a number manually, but only about half way there.
I'll be working more on that, I can assure you.

RE: (Laurie)
I also notice a plant in their list for which we have a photo and is not linked in the catalog - Dahlia 'Bishop of Llandaff'.

I have only linked up the images from the logfiles you sent from the Harlow Carr WPG output Laurie.
When you get a minute, re-generate the ones for your Small and medium suburban gardens in North Yorkshire, UK
WPG project (I see thats the one with 'the Bishop', and I'll process that file, to link up with the plants in the Chiltern list.

Thanks for sharing the images in this way folk. Its very much appreciated. I hope you are as excited as I am that we as a "community" can pull something like this together.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:04:04 PM by ideasguy »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2009, 01:30:30 PM »
RE: (Phil)
clicked on plant info, got message please wait retreiving plant info, then i get SYSTEM ERROR

Ive thought of another possible error.
The Chiltern Web site requires you to accept cookies.
If you have tight security on your Browser setup, not allowing cookies, that may be the cause.

NightHawk

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »
I have only linked up the images from the logfiles you sent from the Harlow Carr WPG output Laurie.
When you get a minute, re-generate the ones for your Small and medium suburban gardens in North Yorkshire, UK
WPG project (I see thats the one with 'the Bishop', and I'll process that file, to link up with the plants in the Chiltern list.
Malcolm has mentioned that the 'Bishop of Llandaff' is already linked to one of his photos in the Chiltern catalog, so that's not a problem, use that one.

As regards generating a WPG for our own gardens, that will take a bit longer.  There are lots of new plants I want to add to it first with photos, so I'll get onto that as soon as I can.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »
Thats great Laurie.
One of the exciting things about the first time I played with the linked photos was to be surprised by how it pulled in photos from a number of members websites.
Its nice to have more than one photo. I think that adds more interest.
Personally, I like to see a range of photos of a plant before deciding to buy.
Theres no shortage of close ups of most of the popular plants grown by gardeners, but not so many of plants in a garden location, or indeed showing a general view of the plants.
Thus, the more (links) the merrier,and the more aspects the merrier again  :D

Have you noticed the links (Web Photos) to the Habitas website?
Be sure to click the other links in the credits section when you get to the images screen. In many cases there is some very interesting reading.
Much of the work on that Northern Ireland website is by Paul Hackney, Curator of Botany at Ulster Museum (and Belfast Botanic Gardens)
Remember my WPG?
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/botanic-gardens/belfast-botanic-gardens/
I contacted Paul during the database design stages to gather as much information about what fields i should include for recording plant names.
He was more than helpful.
I was very fortunate to be granted permission to link to those web pages. Theres a wealth of information and images there.

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »

I'm still working through your large list, Malcolm
I did the ones that matched automatically, and quite a number manually, but only about half way there.
I'll be working more on that, I can assure you

I hope you didn't think I was having a moan George.

I certainly didn't realise that you did all those checks and adding to the Master Database before the links could be used.

I was unable to bring up those errors that Roiphil had.

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2009, 03:44:43 PM »
RE:
I hope you didn't think I was having a moan George
But of course not Malcolm. I'm really pleased that you and Laurie did point that out. means there are more pics to add to the list!

RE:
I was unable to bring up those errors that Roiphil had.
No gold stars for failure <tee hee>

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2009, 03:56:37 PM »
To all:
Heres a few challenges

• In screen GA040S14 - left click on the navigation buttons at bottom of list - previous next
  • In screen GA040S14 - in the Plants with Web Photos list - RIGHT click on the navigation buttons at bottom of list - goes direct to web image page
    In screen GA100S31, Right click on the form (NOT the image at present-I'm working on that) and takes you back to screen GA040S14
  • In screen GA040S14 - Switching on/off Get Plant Info on click - program searches for Plant info on web site each click - may slows things down, thats why its an option
  • In screen GA040S14 - Type at least two characters in the field at bottom of plants list (between nav. buttons) - searches the list of plants, sets cursor to plants beginning with letetrs typed.
  • In screen GA040S14 - Google button
  • In screen GA040S14 - Select section with All plants - click arrows at TOP to filter list by plant types (I need to do more work on the plant types!)
  • Add plant to BUY to My Mail Order
  • Add a Substitute to My Mail Order (is that "intuitive" or do I need to add help ?)
  • In screen GA040S06 - switch display between Order items and substitutes
  • In screen GA040S06, Change a quantity
  • In screen GA040S06, Change quantity to bring order value to over £100. Note how discount kicks in (I hope!)
  • In screen GA040S06, Delete an item
  • In screen GA040S06, Print your mail order

End of challenges for today!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 03:58:49 PM by ideasguy »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2009, 08:02:08 PM »
My first reply to Phil was to say to ensure that he was connected to the internet.
When you click that button, you see a message:
Please wait... retrieving info from website

Chiltern didnt supply the Plant informaion in the files they sent, so I developed a bit of magic code which connected to their web site, extracts a specific section of inner text (the plant info) from the buy page for the plant, and displays it in that info box.

Thus, an internet connection is required.

An internet connection is also required when you click on:
'x' web photos button (xx can be 1 or many)
Buy on-line button

The OLE error code messages reported by Phil are caused by a failure to open the make a connection or failure initiating the browser (its a special instance of the IE browser, hosted in the screen GA100S31)
There are two Stipa tenuissima 'Pony Tails'  images, both Lauries photos, taken at Harlow Carr.  The plant info and the Web Photos are working for me.

Does it work for you when you click the web photos and Buy on-line buttons Phil?

Right back now after shopping, school, feeding horses, feeding myself,

still getting error messages, yes connected to internet and seeing this message Please wait... retrieving info from website then i get the error message but my ie browser opens up onto chiltern website page for that plant, and ig goes to a coloured screen with file system etc at the top and i can still restart catalog programme, i aallow computer to accept cookies anyway otherwise you cant go online shopping  ;D

could it be cos i am on dial up  ??? ???

update i have now allowed cookies from chiltern seeds to be accepted just to check and i still get error messages and same as before browser still opens up on chiltern plant page
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:13:51 PM by roiphil »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2009, 08:11:57 PM »
To all:
Heres a few challenges

• In screen GA040S14 - left click on the navigation buttons at bottom of list - previous next
  • In screen GA040S14 - in the Plants with Web Photos list - RIGHT click on the navigation buttons at bottom of list - goes direct to web image page
    In screen GA100S31, Right click on the form (NOT the image at present-I'm working on that) and takes you back to screen GA040S14
  • In screen GA040S14 - Switching on/off Get Plant Info on click - program searches for Plant info on web site each click - may slows things down, thats why its an option
  • In screen GA040S14 - Type at least two characters in the field at bottom of plants list (between nav. buttons) - searches the list of plants, sets cursor to plants beginning with letetrs typed.
  • In screen GA040S14 - Google button
  • In screen GA040S14 - Select section with All plants - click arrows at TOP to filter list by plant types (I need to do more work on the plant types!)
  • Add plant to BUY to My Mail Order
  • Add a Substitute to My Mail Order (is that "intuitive" or do I need to add help ?)
  • In screen GA040S06 - switch display between Order items and substitutes
  • In screen GA040S06, Change a quantity
  • In screen GA040S06, Change quantity to bring order value to over £100. Note how discount kicks in (I hope!)
  • In screen GA040S06, Delete an item
  • In screen GA040S06, Print your mail order

End of challenges for today!

hang on wait for me  :( cant play at moment

Offline roiphil

« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2009, 08:35:45 PM »
well i have done those challenges, i like the way it puts something extra in (not saying what do the challenge and you will find out at the end) and discount works for me  ;) but i still cant click on plant info with out error messages

George yes web picture button and buy online button works fine its just the plant info button
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:06:16 PM by roiphil »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »
RE:
buy online button works fine its just the plant info button
The odd thing is, they both access exactly the same web page.
The show info extracts the data from the web page.

Its not to do with you being on dial up. I'd be very surprised if that were the case.
Eric will be trying it soon, so we will wait to see if it works for him on dialup.

I hope its not a Vista thing!
Have any members tested it on Vista?
Feedback on that would be appreciated

Ah'm a-puzzled  :(

In the meantime (unless I get a flash of inspiration  ::)) just use the buy online button to get info on the plant (sorry).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:51:49 PM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2009, 11:42:50 PM »

Sorry no, got XP here on both computers, reluctant to change as XP is stable.

Malcolm

NightHawk

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2009, 07:11:37 AM »
Sorry no, got XP here on both computers, reluctant to change as XP is stable.
Malcolm

Ditto.

Laurie.

NightHawk

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2009, 07:48:19 AM »
To all:
Heres a few challenges
  • In screen GA100S31, Right click on the form (NOT the image at present-I'm working on that) and takes you back to screen GA040S14
George, the only problem I encountered was as follows:

(1)  Screen GA100S31
Right-clicking on Form -
(a)" Web Address" - nothing happens.

(b)  Plant name box - clicking here first without having clicked in either of the other boxes does nothing, but if either of the other boxes are clicked and then clicking again in the Plant name box I get the warning box - SYSTEM ERROR. See Error File for details.
Clicking this OK button, screen GA100S31 remains on-screen but windows behind it (catalog screens) clear.  Then clicking the CLOSE button on GA100S31 brings up message box - "Program Error - Variable 'PROGNAME' is not found." Clicking CANCEL or IGNORE buttons clears the screen and closes down IG Pro.

(c)  "Photo Description" - clicking in here without having clicked in either of the other boxes does nothing, but if either of the other boxes are clicked in then clicking again in the Photo Description box I get a warning box -
SYSTEM ERROR. See Error File for details.
Clicking this OK button, screen GA100S31 remains on-screen but windows behind it (catalog screens) clear.  Then clicking the CLOSE button on GA100S31 brings up message box - "Program Error - Variable 'PROGNAME' is not found." Clicking CANCEL or IGNORE buttons clears the screen and closes down IG Pro.

Laurie.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:56:09 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2009, 10:34:55 AM »
Laurie
(1)  Screen GA100S31
Right-clicking on Form -

right click should close box down click at bottom of box not in picture, left click on a link and it should open up your browser to that page

(b)  Plant name box - clicking here first without having clicked in either of the other boxes does nothing, but if either of the other boxes are clicked and then clicking again in the Plant name box I get the warning box - SYSTEM ERROR. See Error File for details.

same here george im afraid

(c)  "Photo Description" - clicking in here without having clicked in either of the other boxes does nothing, but if either of the other boxes are clicked in then clicking again in the Photo Description box I get a warning box -
SYSTEM ERROR. See Error File for details.

same here aswell

bring back xp all is forgiven  :(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 10:37:06 AM by roiphil »

Offline roiphil

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2009, 10:41:13 AM »
RE:
buy online button works fine its just the plant info button
The odd thing is, they both access exactly the same web page.
The show info extracts the data from the web page.

Its not to do with you being on dial up. I'd be very surprised if that were the case.
Eric will be trying it soon, so we will wait to see if it works for him on dialup.

I hope its not a Vista thing!
Feedback on that would be appreciated

Ah'm a-puzzled  :(

In the meantime (unless I get a flash of inspiration  ::)) just use the buy online button to get info on the plant (sorry).

no worries its all work in progress untill you actually release anything for download thats when you become aware of any problems that you may have overlooked not spotted not expected etc

NightHawk

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »
Laurie
(1)  Screen GA100S31
Right-clicking on Form -

right click should close box down click at bottom of box not in picture, left click on a link and it should open up your browser to that page
Phil, I didn't click on the photo as George had already said it didn't work yet.  George says that right-clicking anywhere on the Form should take you back to screen GA040S14, which it doesn't.  The hyperlinks in that Form work, but that wasn't the purpose of this exercise.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2009, 11:26:53 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Laurie and Phil
The System Errors in Screen GA100S31 will be easy to fix. An oversight on my part.
Let me know if you find anything else like that, please.

Meanwhile, The right click will work if you click in any grey are of the form, not on the controls (Text boxes, buttons, image etc)

To all:
Something to help reporting System Errors.
The VERY important information is:
a) which screen you were in
b) which button, image, text region etc you clicked

Ignore anything that comes up after you receive the System Error.
i.e report carefully what happened up to the system error. Don't report what happens after

What happens after?
a) When the program issues a system error, it closes down all database files.
That happens in ALL occasions you get a System Error

b) In most situations it will also close screens, leaving a blank screen (No Program selection screen).
The Menu bar at top of page is fully functional and you can continue in this mode.
To get back to normality, exit the system (e.g. IG) and start it again .

c) However, there are some errors that cannot be handled easily.
In those extreme cases, you may get a subsequent error (or two)

Those persistent errors (Case c) after a System Error are a a result of the program trying to continue.
Since all files are closed, it cant so anything (and you wont do any damage) and it keeps reporting errors
In such an event, the system can be like a dog with a rag doll - it jus' wont let go!
If you get anything like that, try taking the doll out of its mouth by clicking cancel, or Alt-Ctrl-Del and get out of the system and restart IG.
Clicking anything else (like continue or ignore) and you're playing with the doggie.

Offline roiphil

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2009, 12:26:29 PM »
Laurie
(1)  Screen GA100S31
Right-clicking on Form -

Phil, I didn't click on the photo as George had already said it didn't work yet.  George says that right-clicking anywhere on the Form should take you back to screen GA040S14, which it doesn't.  The hyperlinks in that Form work, but that wasn't the purpose of this exercise.

Laurie.

i found that if you right click at the right hand bottom of the form GA100S31 even by the close box or any other grey area as george has pointed out it closes that form and takes you back to the previous GA040S14, but its great fun clicking on these new buttons and seeeing what happens
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:36:12 PM by roiphil »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »
I'll make it so that it will close down no matter what you click.
However, getting right-click to close the form on the image is a bit more difficult!
As you know, if you right click on a web image (which is what youve got hosted in screen GA100S31) you get to the properties dialog box.
I have to program to override that default event.