Author Topic: New order for this year  (Read 4539 times)

Offline whis4ey

New order for this year
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:38:36 AM »
I have just placed my order for this years addition to the garden
Kuro Kamiyama
Beni Otake
Moonfire
Villa tarranto
Taylor
St Jean
Photos when they arrive and leaf out :)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: New order for this year
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:32:13 AM »
Excellent! Where did you buy?

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 01:20:28 PM »
Ordered once again from Esvelds

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:02:19 AM »
whis4ey,

We recently purchased an Acer Davidii Snake-bark Maple in a 10lt pot and was wondering how big a pot we should transplant it into.

Kathy wants to keep it contained in a pot to restrict the size.

She remembers her Mother telling her not to re-pot in a much bigger pot, but best to go up about 2 inches in pot size.

As you have experience of Acers do you have any suggestions?

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 12:45:33 PM »
I don't grow trees in pots normally Laurie, so am not the best to ask
My idea would be similar to your suggestion ...  pot into too large a pot and the roots can't use up the available water in the soil and often suffer as a result

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 12:56:37 PM »
Many thanks for that.

The advice of going up in pot size gradually does seem to make sense, so we'll try that.

Laurie.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »
Planted in open ground, Acer Davidii Snake-bark Maple will make a bigger tree than the Japanese Maples.
I'd agree with your decision to keep it in a pot. Its a big boy for any garden!

I would recommend reading up on Bonsai culture in relation to keeping Acers in pots.
You will read about root pruning - very important for your vigorous specimen.

Per advice given, I keep my Japanese maples dry over winter, and water when buds are about to break into leaf.

Normally, i would advise not to be tempted to let it grow at will, to make height. Prune regularly to develop a small, but broad specimen. Do not let it get out of hand!

However, since the characteristic of your plant is the Snake Bark trunk, then that might be a bad option.
A word of warning - if allowed to grow tall, it will need protection in windy weather. Mine frequently get blown over.
Plastic pots dont break, fortunately! I sink my pots into the ground. That way, they can suck up water, so less reliant on me (aren't they lucky  ;D). However, in this culture, they will produce roots which seek the water source through the holes in the bottom of the pot. They need lifted each year and root pruned.

Acers are shallow rooting plants. In open ground, I hit their roots by forking (weeding) anywhere under their "umbrella" of foliage.
Thus, in a pot, a shallow but wide pot might be a good idea. Good thing about that is, its more stable, less likely to be blown over.

You will learn more from personal experience, of course!!

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 07:42:58 PM »
I bought the tree as I saw it mentioned on Gardener's World as able to be grown in a container.

I didn't notice when I ordered it that it can grow to 5o feet  :o

The pot I plan to put it in is a heavy terracotta about 32cm I think. It tapers down so I hope it will be heavy enough to withstand the wind...I have another tree in a pot at the moment but its a tiny little thing in comparison, its a Photinia Dav. Pallette

The wind knocked it down that often we, in the end, used a tree tie and anchored it to the wall  ::)

I also plan to stand the tree in its pot on a square slate paving stone about 10inches square. The plan was for the tree to be placed in the middle-ish part of the back garden to help divide the space up better than it is right now. We get a lot of birds in the garden as we feed them very well with lots of feeders and bird baths. So I hope they use it for hiding out when the sparrow hawk swoops in :o which it does from time to time...

Thank for the tips...I never considered the roots maybe growing through the drainage hole...good thing I planned on the slate stone then huh?  ;D

Kathy :-*

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 09:46:23 PM »
Its surprising how many little things we grow in the garden can grow to a massive height (and spread!) if allowed. Being enthusiastic gardeners  8) we can easiy keep plants under our control, so they fit our given proportions. Some things need more attention than others, of course.
I'm looking forward to hearing how it does in your pot. All valuable experience!

RE: ... roots maybe growing through the drainage hole
Ive another funny experience here. One of my Japanese maples sat in a large pot for two (or perhaps three) years in the same spot, in front of a red flowering Quince. Now those things spread REAL fast by spreading underground roots, then push up suckers. If not controlled, a nice thicket would be the result. In my case, a sucker came UP through the hole in the botton of the Acer's pot, and emerged IN the pot. I had a lot of fun getting it out without wrecking my Acer root system.