Author Topic: The Cottage Garden and the Old-Fashioned Flowers  (Read 8048 times)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
The Cottage Garden and the Old-Fashioned Flowers
« on: March 19, 2008, 09:13:17 AM »
Here is a book about het history of the cottage gardens in Britain with its old flowers. Old in the sense they were grown already in the 19th century and some a lot earlier. Roy Genders' book treats the subject through the centuries from medieval times until now. Here are flowers loved by Shakespeare and by Spenser, the columbine and pansy, the crocus and the paeony of Francis Bacon; John Clare's primrose; Keat's auricula, a.s.o. Each one is taken in alphabetical order for easy reference. Their history and culture is described and the writer tells how we may enjoy the same flowers in the smaller gardens of today.
Ref.: Pelham Books, London, 1969, 368 pp.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:44:30 AM by greenfinger »

NightHawk

Re: The Cottage Garden and the Old-Fashioned Flowers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing this book with us, it sounds very interesting.  :)

In fact we have just ordered a copy through Amazon.co.uk on your recommendation.

Here's a link for anyone else who may be interested in the UK, it's available from £0.93 plus postage from various sellers -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0720714427/ref=dp_olp_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1205928268&sr=1-50

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:58:32 PM »
Its very cheap!

I love that photo on the front cover. The cottage garden plants are indispensible, arent they. Its worthy of a good discussion, so all praise to Greenfinger for getting the topic started.

The columbine's love my garden. They self seed with abandon. My only complaint is they are a bit tall and not self supporting.
I see some nice smaller varieties on the market now - and will definitely give them a try. Time to dig out a few photos!
I'm very fond of the primroses - its hard to beat the bog-standard Primula vulgaris.

Any mention of Sweet Rocket, Andre? That one self seeds everywhere in my garden as well - I love it.

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »
I had some Columbines in the back garden at some point but they seem to have disappeared - probably hoed them out accidentally.  :(

I am going to sow some Primula Vulgaris shortly, in pots for both front and rear gardens.

I am also going to sow some Nigella varieties in my front garden, probably in the next couple of days and then sow more in three weeks or so, to hopefully extend the flowering period.

Somehow I have bought both annual and perennial poppies, so I need to get sowing these as well.

Someone  :) ;) ...... is going to be busy this weekend.

Kathy.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:06:58 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:54:08 PM »
Poor Laurie  ;)

Nigella are dead easy, Kathy (and lovely flowers)  - simply sow then outside in a raked seedbed.
I suspect Primula Vulgaris may be a bit more difficult. They may ned stratified (some surfin', if youre not sure about that) Dont molycuddle them. I'll let you do the research on this, but off the top of my head I think its best to let the seed trays sit outdoors, over winter perhaps, and they may be slow to germinate.

NightHawk

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 02:30:11 PM »
I am hoping you are right about the Nigella I sort of got carried away and bought a large variety of seeds :) I have method in my madness here by hoping to gather seeds from them to plant next year. Same with the poppy seeds I bought from chiltern.

The seeds I bought for the primula vulgaris are from thompson and morgan and they don't state I need to pre chill them. So fingers crossed. They reckon on 15-30 days to germinate....hhmm we'll see if they are as quick as that!

I had planned to get sowing today but we are getting heavy rain and those darn winds are back. Looks like being typical bank holiday weekend weather to look forward to.

Kathy :-*

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 04:19:16 PM »
Heres a garden for you to study, Kathy and Laurie
http://www.ideasforgardens.com/gardens/pics0032/picdets.html
This is another husband and wife team, but I regret to say the lady in the photo died about 2 years ago.
Her husband was affected badly, but he is bravely carrying on, and the garden is once again looking pristine.
I walk past this garden most working days, and always linger to have a peep (usually in awe!).

That garden relies on small Rhodos, Azaleas and bulbs in spring. In summer, they plant out loads of stuff, all raised from seed and brought on in a greenhouse.
Two groups of plants to recommend (well, lots more, but we'll start with two)
The Tagetes Gem Series.
Desmond collects the seed every year, and gave me a packet. I had them for a couple of seasons and I can vouch for their performance.
Fantastic little plants, and perfect for a front garden.

The other is Delphinium grandiflorum 'Tom Pouce'
Last time I tried, I had difficulty sourcing that one (its a really nice deep blue), but you'll get as much pleasure from the species:
Delphinium grandiflorum (add it to your database and click the Google button) which can be grown from seed.
Its perennial, but I suspect its short lived (at least mine was!). I grew mine from seed supplied by Desmond.

Its good enough for Kew!!!!
http://www.kew.org/plants/summerbedding2004/southend.html
They have it (#23) as
Delphinium grandiflora ?Tom Pouce?
I checked on RHS plant finder, and the species is grandiflorum, not grandiflora (tee hee)

Unlike the tall Delphiniums we are more accustomed to, grandiflorum is quite small. Perfect for you, and a gorgeous little plant.

NightHawk

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »
I've found a seed company offering Delphinium grandiflorum 'Tom Pouce', sky blue, gentian blue and white.  They sell it by gram weight - "Moles Seeds" - http://www.molesseeds.co.uk.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »
Well done K&L!!  8)
They're based in Essex, England folk.
That is a terrific find, since they offer the Series. Theres Gentian Blue (like the one I had in that photo) Sky Blue and Snow White.

I hadnt heard of them before. Have you?

I see we can place an order through reps:
http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/cgi-bin/mf000001.pl?ACTION=SHOWFORM&NOLOGIN=1
I'll send Peter Wyatt an email!

Are you tempted? Any room in that greenhouse  :) ;D

NightHawk

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »
I did purchase a copy of The Cottage Garden and the Old-Fashioned Flowers by Roy Genders, I got it second-hand through Amazon.co.uk for £3.68, including postage.  A very reasonable price.  ;D

This is the New Edition that was published in 1983.  It contains revised text and over 100 new colour photographs.

It is a very fascinating book (as Andre - "Greenfinger" will attest to.)  ;)

Below is a photograph of the new edition, and you will notice that the front cover has been changed.  (Compare this with the original cover in the photo at the top of this page.)

Laurie.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:25:00 PM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:28:38 PM »
Awww... I like the old one  :)

Thats great you are singing from the same hymn sheet! When I get time to read, I'll get a copy!! Ive a bit of catching up to do with you folk.

Find any nice plants Kathy and Laurie?

NightHawk

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »
Oh, we found millions of them, but it's a case of whittling them down to just a few now.  ;D

Kathy's having a good look through at her leisure - she's a fast reader so it shouldn't take her very long.

Laurie.

P.S.  I have to agree with you, I prefer the original cover as well.  I couldn't find any copies of the 1963 original version.

I suppose if you wanted a copy just for the original cover then you may be lucky, but then you would miss out on all the newer plant additions in the latest edition.  Horses for courses.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 03:39:16 PM by Kathy & Laurie »