Author Topic: An observation  (Read 3959 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
An observation
« on: March 08, 2008, 09:27:59 PM »
Ive observed that my Camellia 'Donation' begins to flower on the side which faces South a week to 2 weeks sooner than the side facing North.
Heres a photo I took today.
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/images/Forum/rimg0006.jpg

The side on the left points North, and has only started to bloom. The right "sunny" side has been in flower for 2 weeks.
A man can only pose so long! I just managed to get this snap before James took off giggling around the garden, expecting "papa" to give chase!

NightHawk

Re: An observation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:51:57 PM »
Ive observed that my Camellia 'Donation' begins to flower on the side which faces South a week to 2 weeks sooner than the side facing North.

Well, one suggestion (not particularly scientific) would be to place a mirror on the North side to reflect the sunlight, so that both sides flower equally  :D  Now that would be really pampering our plants. (Only kidding, of course.)

You've started something now George with little James there.  Once they get a taste of the 'limelight' there's no stopping them.  ;D
He's definitely not camera shy anyway.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:20:05 AM »
He loves the garden, Kathy. I'm getting quite hopeful! I dug the corner of a little patch about 8ft square with the intention of making it into an alpine bed. I mixed grit, soil and compost and planted my small collection of alpines there - Lewisias, Saxifraga, dwarf Campanulas etc. James was immediately fascinated by that patch, and likes to dig there. I gave up re-planting after he went home each visit, and that is now officially James's garden.

Surprisingly, one Lewisia survives!! Actually, there was one tiny plant by name Saxifraga 'Mount Nachi' which I'm rather hoping has survived. Ive nursed that little baby for years.   

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 06:31:35 AM »
It's good that James is taking an interest in gardening so young.

It seems that more and more younger people are getting seriously involved in gardening, where previously it was thought of as an 'older' persons' domain.  To shake off the shackles of this outdated mind-set can only be a good thing.

It makes sense, as so much pleasure (and pride) can be gained from seeing the results of your efforts.

We're sure that you will continue to encourage James's interest in gardening.  :)

It's amazing what you find when you clear rampant flowers, trees and shrubs from your flower beds.  The smaller, tender plants that have been struggling for survival for so long under the cover of much larger ones, can reward you with a beautiful display once they're given the chance.  They can be surprisingly resilient.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 06:36:41 AM by Kathy & Laurie »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »
RE:
They can be surprisingly resilient.
That sure is the case for Papaver orientalis!! Its one tough hombre!