Author Topic: propagation  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Gene

• Ivy's County Pride Nursery
propagation
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:28:57 PM »
Hi all, havn't been around for awhile but now I have questions. We live in south Texas. Long hot summers, mild winters with some frost but very little. My new found knowledge says we have about 600 winter chill hours, and are in the middle of USDA zone 8. I have 150 Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' 2 years old and another 150 seed being stratified in the fridge. I have been studing grafting which I understand is the prefered way to propagate most of the better laceleafs. A complete top graft scares me to death and I don't think I have the resources to care for them. I bought a cd from a propagator showing the process. Is there any reason a bud graft would not work if done at the proper time. If so, why is the top graft done more. I know bud grafts are the prefered method on citrus (which I am also going to tackle). At the tender age of 73 I think time is of the essence so I am looking for all the help I can get. Thanks a bunch, Gene

Offline Gene

• Ivy's County Pride Nursery
Re: propagation
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:49:31 PM »
Still evaluating Acer 'Tamukiama', 'Garnet', and 'Crimson Queen' for adaptability to Texas heat. It looks like it is going to be Tamukiama at this point. What do you know about bud grafting these on to acer palmatum atropurpureum. I have access to seed and can raise them by the hundred. Bought a cd on 'how to graft' and he uses A. Palmatum for root stock. Any reason I can't use the A. palmatum atropurpureum?

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »
I did read somewhere (a few years ago-fading memory) that its better to use the A. palmatum.
When it comes to plant names, the genus Acers is as tough as it gets, and you'll find lots of ambiguity on the net about atropurpureum.
Ive seen it listed as Acer palmatum f. atropurpureum
To the best of my knowledge a forma (the f.= a forma) i.e. Acer palmatum f. atropurpureum CAN be grown from seed.

However, ive done a check on the RHS database, and it doesnt list that plant as a forma.

Theres an entry for:
Acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum'
Quite different.
The single quotes indicate that it is a cultivar.

As you know, you cant grow cultivars from seed, hence one reason why grafting is necessary for propagation.

Hence, it would be much easier to grow Acer palmatum from seed (fairly easy) as rootstock and graft to them, and you'd get a good hit with the seed.

Personally, I'd need to "phone a friend" to get more info on this, Gene. Ive asked Paul (NewPlantGuy).
More later, perhaps.

Input from members would be very much appreciated here...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:56:15 PM by ideasguy »

Offline newplantguy

• Gooderham Horticulture
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »
Hi,
You can use a bud graft during the summer and then cut back in late winter to the bud. If the bud fails then whip and tongue graft can be used in the winter.
Type of graft used depends on the preferred method. Bud grafts can have a higher failure rate for Acer.

Offline whis4ey

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 12:36:22 PM »
Your Atropupureum plants will be fine as a rootstock
Japanese maples rarely come true from seed and that is why grafting is preferred by the major nurseries.  Unfiortunately (particularly in the States) many seedlings from a cultivar are sold as the cultivar itself.
Here is an excellent slideshow on grafting procedures
http://www.bodwen-nursery.co.uk/graftingslidesho.html
I believe that propagation by budding can be carried out with some (possibly limited) success.  Certainly Vertrees suggests that he has had success with this method.  His book is well worth the cost (even at your age :))
I would refer you to the Maples forum of the University of British Columbia which is frequented by many knowledgeable maple enthusiasts, and suggest that you ask your question on that forum.  I certainly have seen some comments there on this subject in the past
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=9

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 10:37:27 PM »
Thanks for your valuable information, Paul and Billy

Ive just posted an Introduction to Paul here:
http://www.flowergenie.co.uk/ideas/forum/index.php/topic,526.new/boardseen.html#new
You'll immediately see the significance of his choice of member name NewPlantsGuy

Most of us already know Billy (Whis4ey), but heres a link to his fabulous website for those new to the forum:
http://www.fujiyamagarden.com/