Author Topic: Christchurch Priory, Christchurch, Dorset  (Read 5288 times)

NightHawk

Christchurch Priory, Christchurch, Dorset
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:03:46 PM »
This particular building, situated on Quay Rd, Christchurch, Dorset, dates back to 1094, although there has been a church on this site since AD 800.

These are just a few photos of the exterior of the Priory.

Photo 1.  The sun was shining directly at me for this shot, so I had to use the clock tower as a shield. Hence the sky is a bit washed out, and it's a contrasty photo.

Photo 2.  This part of the building extends from the left of the clock tower as seen from Photo 1.

Photo 3.  Side view showing a rather unusual weather vane in the shape of a fish (larger view below).

Photo 4.  Enlargement of the 'fish' weather vane.  I couldn't get much detail as I only had my digital compact camera with me, and it was a long distance away, so the quality isn't brilliant.

I found a close-up photo that someone has taken of this weather vane on a Flickr website.  Click the link to see the photo.

Photos taken with Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS9 digital camera.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Re: Christchurch Priory, Christchurch, Dorset
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
You did very well to capture the detail in those photos Laurie.
I admire you to get such good results when snapping into the sun 8)
Amazing architecture, I have to say. How much would that building cost to design and build in todays money :o
Eric Hardy will be very interested in those images.

NightHawk

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:04:03 PM »
Thanks George.

It's actually not a bad little camera to have to hand when I go out.  In its own case it's always fastened to my bum-bag, so very accessible when needed.

I wouldn't even like to guess at how much a building of this quality would cost in todays money.

I know Eric Hardy has visited this Priory many years ago, but doesn't think he'll be able to get back again.  Maybe these few little photos will bring back a few good memories for him  ;)

If I was going out on a specific photo assignment, then I would take my Nikon D60 DSLR camera with me and a telephoto lens.  This would give me much better quality shots with enhanced detail.

I'm actually considering doing this around the New Forest.  I want to capture as many different aspects of the Forest as possible.  Photos of the forest itself throughout the different seasons, especially autumn for the colour change of the leaves;  the quaint little villages with their wonderful architecture - old and new; the iconic New Forest Ponies, etc., etc.

I then plan to put the photos onto a web page, maybe with a little bit of local history to accompany them.  A sort of 'visitor guide' of my own personal experiences and favourite locations, but without being intended as a comprehensive tourist brochure.

Anyway, that's a future project I need to get organised  :D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »
Ah - I can see another book in the offing Laurie :D

Heres a similar project - All Around Lambeg by Frederick Gilbert Watson (my sisters husband)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ulsterscots/find-out-more/books/all-around-lambeg
Lambeg is close to the (now) city of Lisburn in N. Ireland.

Gilbert is an avid historian.

NightHawk

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
Ah - I can see another book in the offing Laurie :D
Always the optimist George  :D

Great book by Gilbert, but I'm not certain I'll be able to aspire to that degree of detailed, in-depth literature in my project  :-\

I think mine will be more like a photojournalist approach - letting the photos tell the stories, with just a sprinkling of text  ;)