Author Topic: Epiphyllums  (Read 5921 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Epiphyllums
« on: May 12, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »
I received an email this morning from Carol - a new Flower Genie customer from New Zealand - and was very excited to read:
I have a mailorder epiphyllum website and grow a large number of daylillies and tall bearded iris so need something to keep everything in order.

Carol then gave the link to her website:
http://www.southpacificepi.co.nz

Daylillies are very popular in the US and UK. I'm sure most of our ,members have at least one variety.
The good thing about them is they are tough as old boots in the UK - mine have survived our extremely hard winter of 2009-2010 no problems - in fact Ive had to divide and move some around the garden.

Epiphyllums?
I have to confess I knew very little about them, so I homed in on this page on Carols website:
http://www.southpacificepi.co.nz/content/view/35/45/

I did a check in the Master Database and found it contains only one entry, a seed mix supplied by Chiltern Seeds.
Epiphyllum Large-flowered Mixed Hybrids
Catalog Reference: 508    http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chilternseeds/321142/moreinfo/pid/31510415

I clicked the RHS button in IG Pro, and found that there is only one plant listed in the RHS Plant Finder:
Epiphyllum oxypetalum

Carol has 150 listed in her Catalog list 8)

I had a peep at Malcolms Plant List http://www.plantguide.lynandmalc.co.uk/ rather expecting to find he had one somewhere, but none listed (as yet ::))

I hope we can persuade Carol to join us on the forum!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 09:35:02 AM by ideasguy »

Offline Lyn and Malcolm

• Lyn and Malcolms Garden
Re: Epiphyllums
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:46:58 AM »

Would it suprise you if I said yes we do have a Epiphyllum  ;D

The label on it says E. lauii. Bought it last year from an open garden. Can't find much about it, may have a name change ?
No flowers yet.
I have not included it on our Plant guide, if it flowers I will.

Also got from the same garden, Echeveria oliveranthus, my comments above apply to this plant as well. :(

Perhaps if Carol comes on to the forum, she can tell us more about these plants  ;D

Malcolm

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »
I suspected you'd know about that Genus ;)

Maybe a few tips from Carol would help coax it to produce a flower, Malcolm.

Offline roiphil

• I did the 10,000 forum posting
    • Limerick Xmas Tree Centre
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
yes i have some day lillies that i picked up from lidl dont think they will come to much this year, all it said on packet was hemerocallis daylilly, just have to wait and see

Offline Carol R

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:53:46 AM »
Hi everyone,
Thought I would introduce myself,
My name is Carol and I'm from New Zealand. Our climate in Pukekohe in the Northern part of New Zealand is tropical/temperate and we can grow a wide range of plants, and I do!!
As George has mentioned I grow epiphyllums, mainly hybrids about 1000 different varieties and have some epiphyllum species here as well.
I have been doing a large amount of hybridising with these plants as we're unable due to excessive red tape import anymore from overseas.

I don't have "Lauii" it  hasn't made its way to New Zealand, I have a little bit of info about it and will upload later on this week.
Have a few assorted epiphytic plants eg tillandsias, schlumbergeras ( holiday or xmas cacti)hoyas.

I have a huge assortment of daylillies which I am presently downsizing, keeping some and I am venturing into tall bearded iris.
Our seasons have changed here and its just a bit too dry over summer for most of the daylillies now without pouring lots of water on.
Irises adapt incredibly well and I just love the range of colours. They are also incredibly popular once again over here.
I also grow bromeliads, many succulents, Vireya Rhododendrons, dahlias, some native ferns, N.Z. native trees, siberian irises, assorted fruit eg passionfruit, blueberries,
tamarillos, mountain pawpaw.

Regards Carol ;D

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 09:25:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum Carol. I'm delighted you have joined us and its great to see you have managed the navigation and made your first posting.

What a fantastic range of plant you grow in your location Carol 8) Its refreshing to have a contact with a whole new aspect of gardening and plants.

Ive come across the Vireya Rhododendrons before, and they are incredibly beautiful - but not for our UK climes (unless someone is zone pushing!)

I'm very impressed to read that you are skilled in hybridising!
Paul will be very interested to learn more about that! He's the New Plant Development Manager at R.A. Meridith & Son (Blooms) Ltd.
Read more about that here:
http://www.ideasforgardens.net/meredith/Blooms_Plants/
Do you name and register the plants you select from your hybridising programs?

I'm looking forward very much to hearing more about your massive plant collection:)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:27:19 AM by ideasguy »

NightHawk

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 10:18:22 AM »
Welcome indeed Carol.

Your expertise and input on the Forum will be very much appreciated by our members.

We look forward to hearing more from you.  :)

Laurie.