Author Topic: Glenda the Wendle  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Palustris

Glenda the Wendle
« on: January 30, 2016, 08:55:59 AM »
   Glenda the Wendle wended her way through the Gnarly Wood. You have never seen a Wendle? Well I am not surprised, they are very, very shy. They are so ugly that they spend all their time hiding away. A Wendle will not even look at itself in a mirror. They are so awful to look at they frighten themselves.

Wendles are about middle height with tree bark coloured curly fur. They have fur everywhere, even on their eyelids. They have long arms which reach almost to the ground. As you might expect they have hands on the end of those arms. Their fingers are long and thin and end in long black fingernails. They have dark black eyes which look like the knots in bark when open and disappear into their furry faces when closed.

Glenda spent hours combing her fur until it shone and lay straight against her skin. But, her fur had a mind of its own. As soon as she stopped combing it tied itself in knots and stopped lying smoothly against her skin. It tangled itself up until it looked like, well it looked like a Wendle.

Worse still, as soon as Glenda went outside, the fur grabbed bits of twigs, leaves, lumps of moss and handfuls of mud. The further Glenda walked through the Wood, the more things ended up in her fur.  For such a shy creature this was actually quite useful. Glenda could stand next to a tree in the Gnarly Wood and disappear. That is probably why you have never seen one. Next time you see a thick tree trunk, covered in twigs, leaves, moss and mud, look more closely, it just may well be a Wendle.

If a Wendle was feeling playful, it could gently blow on your neck when you were stood by it and you would not know it was there. Not that a Wendle would do such an ill-mannered thing. Wendles are very polite.

Glenda was lonely. She wanted someone to be her friend and play with her. You may be able to guess what was her favourite game. That is right, Hide and go Seek.

She stood next to a Gnarly tree and leant against the trunk for a rest. A Squarrel sclambered down the tree and sat on her shoulder. It was carrying a nut which it began to eat.

"Hello," said Glenda, bravely.

The Squarrel, jumped and dropped its nut.   "Now look what you have made me do, " it grumped. "That was my lunch."

"Sorry," said Glenda. "You sclambered on to me and I thought it only polite to speak to you."

The Squarrel, snuffed. "So hello to you then."

"I  am looking for someone to play with," said Glenda. "Would you like to be my friend?"

The Squarrel looked at Glenda and shook its head. "You are far too ugly to play with, " it said. "Now go away you are turning the nuts sour."

It sclambered back up the tree.

Sadly Glenda wended  her way further into the Gnarly Wood. She stopped for a rest next to another tree. As she stood there a Snoke slathered and slomed on to her foot. It curdled itself round and hizzled.

"Hello," said Glenda   

The Snoke raised its head and looked up at Glenda. "Hello, yourself " it hizzled, which is how Snokes speak.

"I am looking for someone to play with, " said Glenda. "Would you like to be my friend?"

The Snoke uncurdled itself and slathered off Glenda's foot. "Oh no," it fozzled. "You are far too ugly to play with. I only play with things which are slathery like me. Now go away you are frightening the brids in the tree and I want to catch one for my lunch."

Sadly Glenda wended her way further into the Gnarly Wood. She stopped for a rest next to a tree and leant against the trunk.

A Budger came snaffling along. Now budgers are very short sighted and instead of going round things, they expect everyone to get out of their way.
This Budger snaffled right up to Glenda's leg.

"Hello," said Glenda.

"Move," gribbled the Budger, very rudely. "I want to go past and you are in my way."

"I am looking for someone to play with, " said Glenda. "Would you like to be my friend?"

The Bodger stood on its back legs and peered at Glenda. "No, " it snaffled. "I only play with things which have nice smooth fur, like mine. Your fur is much too ugly.Now move out of my way I am looking for wurroms for my lunch and you are standing where I want to go."

Glenda moved out of its way and the Budger snaffled away.

Sadly Glenda wended her way through the Gnarly Wood. She leant against another tree to rest.

A sprew scrambered up her side and out on to her hand.

"Hello," said Glenda.

The sprew squooked and sat up. "Put me down," it ordered.

"I am looking for someone to play with," said Glenda. "Would you like to be my friend?"

"I am far to busy to play," said the sprew. "I have to catch those callapitters before they change into spreadwings and flitter away. Besides you are far too ugly for a sprew to play with. Now put me on that branch."

Sadly Glenda put the sprew on the branch above her head and watched it scramber away.

Sadly Glenda wended her way through the Gnarly Wood. She leant against another tree to rest.

"Hello," said the tree.

"Hello, "said Glenda.

"I am looking for someone to play with," said the tree. "Would you like to be my friend?"

"Oh, yes please," said Glenda.

"Thank-you, " said the tree. "My name is Brenda the Wendle."

"And I am Glenda the Wendle, " said Glenda. "What shall we play?"

"Hide and Go Seek, " said Brenda.

"My favourite game," said Glenda

So they played and as far as I know they are still playing. For as you know Wendles are so good at hiding that even another Wendle cannot find it.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 09:17:28 AM by Palustris »