Author Topic: last weeks in the wood edge  (Read 5915 times)

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
last weeks in the wood edge
« on: December 25, 2006, 05:26:42 PM »
Last week I choose in the local nursery a shrub known as one of the most fragrant winter flowerers: wintersweet. In the Latin indexes it is to be found under Chimonanthus (Calycanthus) praecox. Calycanthus means with chaliced flowers. They reach the same height  as breadth which is 3 meters. I?m told they would scent the garden within a distance of 25 meters. I?ll let you know within a few years if this is an exaggeration or not.
A little away from the shades of the other trees and shrubs (as it likes more sun) I planted an Ilex x meserveae ?Blue Angel?, a cross-breeding beween the wellknown Ilex aquifolium and Ilex rugosa. It is appreciated for its bluegreen foliage, purple branches, shining leaves and  its winter hardiness. It grows in a dense, pyramidal way. Mine is 40 cm high, but it has  the intention to get the same dimensions as the Chimonanthus described above. We?ll speak each other within 10 years about the future behaviour of this plant.
And then back to the higher canopy layer: now I choose a guest from the Far East, I mean Pyrus calleryana ?Chanticleer? (attach. nr. 1058). This cultivar suits tinier places,  having a rather narrow crown, growing up more like a pillar and reaching a height of 10 meters. The white flowers in spring develop to autumnal little ornamental fruits.
To offer birds some nestling opportunities 2 Hedera?s: Hedera helix ?Gold Heart?(attach. nr. 1096) and Hedera alger.(=canariensis) ?Gloire de Marengo? (attach. nr. 1065) at the foot of a dead willow. I know there is controverse about keeping dead trees in the garden as they could be a source for infections (the honey fungus f.i.). It would be interesting to read the opinion of other members about this subject.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 09:15:57 AM by greenfinger »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
Re: last weeks in the wood edge
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 02:45:57 PM »
The path of the gardener can be covered with doubts. After a dive in my library I?m not so sure anymore about the winter hardiness of  Hedera algeriensis ?Gloire de Marengo?. If the expert authors are to believed this is a room plant and no match for my adventures in the wood. Anybody any idea?
Subsequently I procured a few ferns. Admit: a woodgarden without ferns is like ..., how would I put it? A place was found for Asplenium (Phyllitis) scolopendium (50 cm.) see attachm. 1076, Polystichum setiferum (80 cm.) see attachm. 1089 and Polypodium vulgare (30 cm.) see attachm. 1101. They are reliable evergreens.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 03:08:58 PM by greenfinger »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 03:57:41 PM »
I know there is controverse about keeping dead trees in the garden as they could be a source for infections (the honey fungus f.i.). It would be interesting to read the opinion of other members about this subject.

I really also like to hear users experiences on this. I found this article today on the RHS site:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/research/horticultural_themes/honeyfungus.asp

I have little toadstools (just like those shown in the RHS web page - above) appearing in my front lawn occasionally.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 04:00:48 PM by ideasguy »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 04:48:29 PM »
Thanks for the reference, but the possible problem seems to have solved itself. The dead willow has been blown out during the storm of yesterday. Where is my saw?

Offline Kew

• Kengar Sticks and Twigs
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 06:09:06 PM »
Just hope you don't bump into this on a dark night!

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 06:22:41 PM »
how comes I'm thinking about the song "Dirty Old Man"?? ;)

Offline Kew

• Kengar Sticks and Twigs
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 06:25:55 PM »
Hahaha!...Actually I'm a bit of a fungi freak. Not that I know much about them but there is a hugh variety in my local wood and I have a few pics of some not-so-tasty looking ones. Usually the stinkhorn is surrounded with flys on account of it's smell. This one was.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 03:36:52 PM »
And there he went down, with 'Gloire de Marengo' and all. Kerdjuuje!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 03:39:05 PM by greenfinger »

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »
Grey clouds, dark weather, January was in a sombre mood and this month not less! Ugh.
And then, all from the grey sky, you find a plant, only one in a big nursery, shining like a beacon between hundreds or thousands of other young shrubs. It's yellow, not the screaming colour but the one that is soft and intense at the same time: a Cornus officinalis, common name: Japanese cornel dogwood. I don't know the situation in GB, but here it is rarely found in the catalogues. There was just one here, a good strong specimen, about 3-4 years old. In France this is called the Hamamelis of the poor. The price told another story, but I have to say it outtrumped his Hamamelis neighbours. 
It's not a fast grower. After 10 years doing its best, it will reach 2.5 metre. An adult one can be 5-8 metre high and 3-5 metre in width.
It has the appearance of a Cornus mas, only bigger and it flowers a bit earlier. It's a jewel with a lot of yellow flowers on naked stems at this moment, followed by dark green leaves and edible bright red fruits. Another interesting feature is its peeling bark.
It's not difficult about soil, pH or sun/partial shade. Add to this the fact that it is hardy to zone 6, not frost tender, and you have a perfect friend in the garden.
It's origine is situated in China, Korea and Japan. Since more than 2000 years it is used in the Chinese herbal medicine. In the Species Database of "Plants For A Future" it's described like a living dispensary: antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic, antitumor, astringent, diuretic, hepatic, hypotensive, tonic. I'm feeling already quite a lot better!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 04:25:01 PM by greenfinger »

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »
Thats a lovely little plant Andre! Good to see you are braving the elements to get out there and plant lovely things.

RHS Plant Finder lists 13 suppliers in the UK, so it must be popular enough!

I couild do with some of its herbal attributes right now - I'm a bit under the weather with a touch of flu.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 09:40:13 PM »
Pay attention, poor sick man, all this wonderful healing potential is described with disclaimer.  ;)

If I were to believe the Botanic Gardens Trust on internet, Cornus officinalis was "reputed to have aided the longevity and exceptional health of Emperor Qian Long of the Manchu Dynasty" living,  and here I quote again "from 1644 till 1911". I think the members of this trustworthy institution had an overdose of it as "it makes quite a tonic for one's spirits."

But it clearly is a fact that the fruit of this plant is the subject of several serious scientific articles.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 11:00:05 PM »
"it makes quite a tonic for one's spirits."

Disclaimer or not, I'm still interested!  ;D

RE: 1644 to 1911 - well, there would be many of his school pals around to dispute that! He could have added a few years on.