Author Topic: Spare seed from noideasman (UK)  (Read 6893 times)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
Spare seed from noideasman (UK)
« on: December 03, 2005, 07:20:18 PM »
Before this forum started, Noideasman offered me some seed. I asked if he had Primula vialii, as its one of my favourites.
It is short lived, and has a nasty habit of dying just when you get to really like it. Ive never grown it from seed before.

Incidentally noideasman he is NOT. He's a very experienced gardener, and hopefully he'll pass on a few tips!

He has just informed me that he is sending on (to me) some other seed which he has, surplus to his own requirements.

Ive invited him to reply to this posting to tell us what they are. I'll post them on to those interested.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 11:28:01 AM by ideasguy »

Offline no ideas man

Re: Spare seed from noideasman (UK)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 10:49:50 AM »
I have at present 5 pkts Marigold la Bamba (t&m)  1pkt Marigold Colossus  1pkt Mar Bonita   2pkt  Mar Hero (red)   30 pkts Poppy various varieties   4 pkts Viola Bowles Black                  Vegatable Seed  2pkts Melon  (Edonis F1---Gaylia F1)   1pkt Carrot Mini Finger   1pkt cucumber  AidasF1   1 pkt Tomato  Golden Sunrise 1 pkt cabbage Chinese Blues 1 pkt Leek King Richard

All the above varieties can be found in the T&M catalogue for a full description  The rest of the surplus seed as been sent to Ideasguy

No Ideas Man
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 11:28:23 AM by ideasguy »

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 12:17:59 PM »
I have added a pkt of Viola Bowles Black to the seed I am sending you hope you enjoy growing them, you can call me anything you like but harry is ok

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 01:34:06 PM »
Thats great Harry. Ive seen 'Bowles Black'  growing in one of the gardesn I visted this year, I took a photo.
Its on an external disc, so I'll attach it next time I am connected to that drive.

Have you started sowing yet?

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 03:31:14 PM »
I always start my main sowing in dec,at present there are pansys and delphiniums in the greenhouse overwintering and there are more seed to sow the proagator is full of seedtrays in another couple of weeks I will be pricking out seedlings (hopefully)

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 03:58:13 PM »
Do you use an undersoil heater in your greenhouse?
I bought one of those when I bought my greenhouse. Made up a "bed" approx 6ftx 2.5ft, wooden base (with plastic sheet lining) and sides.
Put grit in the botton then laid the undersoil heater, then a covering  of a mixture of more horticultural grit and compost.
It had deep sides, so I was able to place glass sheets over the top, so it looked like a cold frame.
I filled it with seed trays for a few years. I got great results, and was able to grow tender beauties like Ricinus from early sowings.
I started in Feb, mind you. You start in Dec, so much earlier than I did.

Offline greenfinger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 08:14:39 AM »
George, when you speak (write) about an undersoil heater I know you can buy such a whole system ready made. But in your case I understand you DIY for a big part. Does that mean you only had to buy a set of cables and a thermostat? Or were there still other components to consider? (except the frame and glass).

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 10:10:46 AM »
hi george
              the seed i promised are in the post. would you let me know when you receive them i have sent them in a brown envelope and would like to know how they have travelled.in answer to your question on heating  well here goes (don't laugh) i have 2 small heated propagators which will hold 5 strip trays or 4 1/4 trays and that it, as for heating in the greenhouse "none" let me explain i once bough a fan heater and when i received the electric bill the heater had added £45 to the bill anyway after a discussion with her indoors the heater made a rapid exit i have 3 coldframe heaters (parrafin) which i will use but only in extreme imergencies.just to change the sudject for a moment haveyou ever sown seed that need prechilling if so all well and good if you haven't i will send you my method which works quite well i think there is a pkt of potentilla in the envelope which need this treatment, the plants in the greenhouse have the luxury of a perspex cover as i like to grow my plants cold    happy gardening   harry

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 10:39:16 AM »
The undersoil heater I bought is very much a DIY job. Its as you say, a thick cable (which warms up and provides the heat) with a thermostat. You lay the cable over the bed, then cover it with a layer of grit.
As for running costs, I couldnt say. My bill at that time was pretty unpredictable, so I didnt try to compare.

Thanks for posting the seeds, Harry. I'll let you know when they arrive.

I'd be interested to read your pre-chilling method. Please post your method here. Theres nothing to beat tips that are gained by experience.

Ive grown some things that need stratified. The simple method I read about, and which worked well, was to sow in a pot when the seed are ripe (autumn), and plunge the pot outdoors. No covering required. I succeeded with berries from Hawthorn and Mountain ash.
However, because they are outside, need to watch out for weeds coming up in the pot as extras.

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 02:17:02 PM »
Just got a phone call to say a large envelope full of seeds has arrived Harry. Looking forward to checking them out when I get home later.

UPDATE
I'm home, looking at seed packets
I want them all
Y'have to share them
I love them all
Y'have to share them

I'll.... be back later

« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 08:32:36 PM by ideasguy »

Offline no ideas man

Re: receipt of seed
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 09:47:50 AM »
Hi george
               Glad the seed arrived ok tell me did i enclose a pkt of potentilla if so try my method of germination.

you will need    compost (sieved)   small tray 1/4 size    a container tupperware or similar seed and a fridge? don't panic

Sow the seed as normal place in gentle heat 60-65f for 3 days

Then put the seed tray inside the container and place in the fridge for 3 weeks inspect at regular intervals keep the compost moist.If the seed show any sign of life remove from the fridge and grow on normally in light airy conditions. The seed I grew using this method actually germinated  whilst in the fridge boy was I surprised the seed was a variety of perrenial geranium. hope you have as much successas I did Ihave not tried this method with potentilla let me know how you get on

Happy Gardeninig

Harry

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 02:26:37 PM »
Yes, Harry, you have sent me Potentilla 'Lady Jane' so I will try your method.

You pre-chilling idea is good!
The ideas of putting the container into a tupperware container may also help me survive if the container is spotted in the fridge!
Also makes it hygienic!

I'll certainly do exactly as you have suggested and report in this thread.

Also in the packet:
Primula viallii  (as initialy requested ... my favourite in the garden)
Same method?

Delphinium grandiflorum 'Summer Blues' A LOVELY surprise. I love those dwarf delphiniums. Have you tried them before?

I have photos of D. g. 'Tom Pouce'
Have a look at this set of photos on my web site:
http://www.ideasforgardens.com/gardens/pics0032/picdets.html
Photo No 6 shows 'Tom Pouce'

I think the seed you sent me will be very much like Tom!
Theres no photo on the pack, but Description says 15ins, Hardy Perennial. Great little plants

Anybody in the UK like to try these seed? I'll sow half the pack and send then to "first applicant".
Not sure about sending them further afield, considering the post that Col had made (another topic in this Forum category).

« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 02:29:41 PM by ideasguy »

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 05:12:21 PM »
hi george
             i have not tried del (summer blues) i have grown a variety called magic fountains there are a number of them hardening off in the greenhouse let me know if you receive any enquiries regarding the seed i still have left

happy gardening

harry

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 07:31:35 PM »
Had a quick surf and found that Magic Fountains grows to 3ft in a range of no less that 7 different colours.
Thats a good mix, Harry.
I love those big guys as well, but I was really impressed with the D. grandiflorum in my neighbours garden where I took the photos, so I'm looking forward to trying those out.
Keep an eye on thos string for "applicants" for the spare seed, Harry. I'll list the others later.

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 11:47:27 AM »
Hi

i have found some more seed george can you use them

happy gardening
harry

Online ideasguy

• Administrator
  • Just me
    • Ideas for Gardens
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2005, 12:33:13 PM »
Hi Harry
I'll share them with the folk on the forum if you send them to me Harry.

I will sort out the seeds you sent me later today, and put up the list for others to request.
Its been a hectic couple of weeks and I apologise for not doing this sooner, up to all hours on Flower Genie.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 12:35:35 PM by ideasguy »

Offline no ideas man

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2005, 04:53:21 PM »
hi george
              the seed i will be sending you are

9 varieties of poppy
pansies
cosmos
bizzie lizzies
larkspur
petunias