Author Topic: Burton Agnes Hall  (Read 3967 times)

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
Burton Agnes Hall
« on: October 28, 2014, 07:04:16 PM »
We recently visited Burton Agnes Hall gardens and I've made my facebook album public at this link.

The walled garden was amazing, even at this time of year when many plants had been cut back.  There were echiums that had flowered and younger ones coming on for next year!  We shall be visiting again.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.722109514548898.1073741872.100002495692422&type=1&l=b85123c26d

http://www.burtonagnes.com/Home.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 01:50:31 AM by trishs »

NightHawk

Re: Burton Agnes Hall
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 09:57:58 PM »
The name of Burton Agnes Hall rang a bell for me Trish.

I believe I visited there many, many years ago - when I was a child in fact.  So long ago that I don't really remember any specifics about it.

When I lived in the northeast at that time, I visited a lot of such historic buildings with my parents;  e.g. Bowes Museum, Chatsworth House, York Museum, Fountains Abbey, the list goes on and on.  We always bought a souvenir brochure and postcards to look back on.  Sadly though I don't have any of those souvenirs any more.

Anyway, thank you for posting those links.  The Facebook page didn't show anything though.  I was logged in ok but didn't get to see your album.

The Burton Agnes Hall website didn't jog any memories for me, but as I said - it was a long time ago  ::)

Offline trishs

• PhyzzEzee blog
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:51:10 AM »
I've just changed the link.  Hope it might work for you this time!

NightHawk

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 06:21:40 AM »
Thank you Trish - the link works now  8)

A great set of photos and those gardens look beautiful.

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 02:02:44 PM »
Thank you for introducing me to Burton Agnes Hall Gardens, Trish. I have visited many places in the North East but this one eluded me. In 1950 I toured North Yorkshire on my father's Calthorpe motor bicycle (not a name your hear these days). I did my college thesis on John Carr of York, the 18th century architect. I visited as many of his buildings that I could manage. He designed a house called Constable Burton but as Burton Agnes had nothing to do with John Carr that wasn't included in my itinary.

Eric H
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:11:57 PM by Eric Hardy »

Offline Eric Hardy

• Anthea & Eric, The Chilterns, Buckinghamshire UK
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »
When I lived in the northeast at that time, I visited a lot of such historic buildings with my parents;  e.g. Bowes Museum......
I lived within a few hundred yards of The Bowes Museum for the first 21 years of my life, Laurie, so I know it well. My father taught French and when he retired he spent 10 years in the archives of the museum translating the innumerable documents relating to John Bowes and his wife Josephine, the French actress. He wrote the definitive book, a thick tome, called John Bowes and the Bowes Museum. I am sure it is not available these days but for many years the museum bookshop sold it.

Eric H
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:12:38 PM by Eric Hardy »